• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
amit__ said:
y no indians :@
The only ones even worthy of consideration are Dravid and Tendulkar, and James90 has obviously left Tendulkar out on the grounds of not being fit. Dravid is no guarentee in the side, and James felt others would do a better job, so he left him out too.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Prince EWS said:
The only ones even worthy of consideration are Dravid and Tendulkar, and James90 has obviously left him Tendulkar out on the grounds of not being fit. Dravid is no guarenteed in the side, and James felt others would do a better job, so he left him out too.
Yeah...and he'd like the side to win a final... :ph34r:

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Erm because on current form they're one of the worst sides around?
aussie said:
NOTE: Selection were made on mainly on overall career performances, while current form played a minor role in selection. The only exception is the selection of Symonds over probably Cairns (since we have to work on the illusion that if a match with these players we to be organised, Cairns current form would rule him out).
I think the premise of the thread needs to be adhered to.

Shoaib

Banned
Adam Gilchrist (C/WK)
Marcus Trescothick
Brian Lara
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Rahul Dravid
Shoaib Malik
Andrew Flintoff
Brett Lee
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath
Shahid Afridi (Super-Sub)

Last edited:

amit__

Banned
Blaze said:
the real reason y i selected dhoni ahead of sangakkara and gilchrist was that i wanted to select keepers on there keeping ability as well in addition to there batting ability. dhoni, has hit a few good knocks under pressure in odis for india. also, he scored a amazing 148 against pakistan in an odi earlier this year which happens to be only the 2nd highest score by a regular wicket-keeper(dravids 153 doesnt count as dravid was a non-regular keeper). the highest was gilchrists 154 but that was almost 4-5 years ago. i also, wanted to select players on current form as well mixed with there overall career records and dhoni doesnt have a bad record at all with a 37.50 ave and 102.53 strike-rate.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Well, since the thread starter didn't really stick to it...
well thats true, but if we look at current form Dravid is the only Indian who should be their...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
amit__ said:
the real reason y i selected dhoni ahead of sangakkara and gilchrist was that i wanted to select keepers on there keeping ability as well in addition to there batting ability. dhoni, has hit a few good knocks under pressure in odis for india. also, he scored a amazing 148 against pakistan in an odi earlier this year which happens to be only the 2nd highest score by a regular wicket-keeper(dravids 153 doesnt count as dravid was a non-regular keeper). the highest was gilchrists 154 but that was almost 4-5 years ago. i also, wanted to select players on current form as well mixed with there overall career records and dhoni doesnt have a bad record at all with a 37.50 ave and 102.53 strike-rate.
Gilchrist scored 172 vs ZIM in 2004, based on your idea that you want to select keepers on their keeping ability in addition to batting ability, Gilchrist & Sangakkara are definately ahead of Dhoni in both area's.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
Adam Gilchrist (C/WK)
Marcus Trescothick
Brian Lara
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Rahul Dravid
Shoaib Malik
Andrew Flintoff
Chaminda Vaas
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath
Shahid Afridi (Super-Sub)
again i wonder why Ponting, Symo, Lee aren't their :-O 8-)

amit__

Banned
aussie said:
Gilchrist scored 172 vs ZIM in 2004, based on your idea that you want to select keepers on their keeping ability in addition to batting ability, Gilchrist & Sangakkara are definately ahead of Dhoni in both area's.
gilchrist, dropped around 8-10 catches in the ashes, so he is not quite up there on keeping ability, however, he is ahead of dhoni on batting ability. on keeping ability, dhoni beats gilchrist.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
amit__ said:
gilchrist, dropped around 8-10 catches in the ashes, so he is not quite up there on keeping ability, however, he is ahead of dhoni on batting ability. on keeping ability, dhoni beats gilchrist.
8-10 catches :wacko: , nah mayn he didn't drop so much, but thats test cricket we are looking at ODI's here mate & Gilly's form with the gloves in ODI is pretty good, so i dont know how you can say Dhoni is a better glovesman than him.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
AC Gilchrist+
ME Trescothick
SR Tendulkar*
BC Lara
RT Ponting
A Symonds
A Flintoff
WPUJC Vaas
BC Lee
M Muralitharan
GD McGrath
CH Gayle (Super-sub)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
again i wonder why Ponting, Symo, Lee aren't their :-O 8-)
Because Australian doesn't automatically mean best.

And to suggest Symonds ahead of the likes of Inzamam (as you did) smacks of bias.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Have you taken into consideration the bowling, fielding, and attitude Symonds has over Inzy?

Yep, I'm Australian so I must be biased. 8-)

Last edited:

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mine would read like this

1.Adam Gilchrisht(WK)
2.Shahid Afridi
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Stephen Fleming(C)
5.Kevin Pietersen
6.Mike Hussey
7.Andrew Flintoff
8.Heath Streak
9.Chaminda Vass
10.Murali
11. Glen Mcgrath

12.Gayle Supersub

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because Australian doesn't automatically mean best.

And to suggest Symonds ahead of the likes of Inzamam (as you did) smacks of bias.
no i'm suggesting Symonds ahead of Malik & Ponting, Lee & Symo based on ODI form over the last 18 months australian or not should definately be in a World ODI side, their shouldn't be too much debate about that...

howardj

International Coach
If I had to pick a team to play for my life at this moment:

Gilchrist
Gayle
Ponting
Dravid
Flintoff
Kallis
Symonds
Lee
Vettori