• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
uh why sean :huh:
Because he's not been a particularly successful ODI player in recent years, and he's retired from them anyway. Kallis or Dravid or Inzy would be a better pick. Or even someone like Damien Martyn, honestly.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Because he's not been a particularly successful ODI player in recent years, and he's retired from them anyway. Kallis or Dravid or Inzy would be a better pick. Or even someone like Damien Martyn, honestly.
I dont think he has retired form ODI's just yet, but fair enough reason. But for me Lara has to be their.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pedro Delgado said:
Banger is more brutal in the first 15 overs (or 10, then 5 then the next five new rules blah blah) than Sachin. Tbh one can't have a world ODI side without Tres surely??
The SS selectors thought you could, but then again they did have some strange selections!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd have Sachin, Gayle and probably Smith as well ahead of Trescothick in the other opening spot, personally.
and evn Jayasuriya, while Tres, Gibbs & the extremely underated Astle would run close.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
Adam Gilchrist
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Ricky Ponting
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Andrew Flintoff
Andrew Symonds
Daniel Vettori
Brett Lee
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
This would probably be my favorite team quoted here, but I'd substitute Dravid in for Inzy, and Gayle would defininentally be the Super Sub.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd have Sachin, Gayle and probably Smith as well ahead of Trescothick in the other opening spot, personally.

Oh God, anyone but The Witness please.

Not going to argue about Sachin because, well it's impossible. Gayle or Tres...pretty similar fair dos.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
WORLD XI:

1.Adam Gilchrist +
2.Sachin Tendulkar
3.Ricky Ponting *
4.Brian Lara
5.Rahul Dravid
6.Andrew Symonds
7.Andrew Flintoff
8.Shaun Pollock
9.Brett Lee
10.Muttiah Muralitharan
11.Glenn McGrath

Unlucky to miss out Bond, Akhtar, Kallis, Inzamam

NOTE: Selection were made on mainly on overall career performances, while current form played a minor role in selection. The only exception is the selection of Symonds over probably Cairns (since we have to work on the illusion that if a match with these players we to be organised, Cairns current form would rule him out).
Unlike the ICC .....My ODI side takes form and Record into consideration as opposed to just the overall record with a strong weighting towards form in the last 12-18 months or so.

My ODI side would be .....

Gilchrist
Fleming (c)
Astle
Ponting
Pietersen/Hussey
Symonds
Flintoff
Vettori
Bond
Murali
Mcgrath

Note: Fleming is there mainly for his captaincy....having said that he holds his own with his ODI batting in the last couple of years. The World XI's bad lack of leadership was shown up in the recent Super Series.

Aussie....If you were looking at recent form ...and partcularly if you paid attention to the recent Super series ODI's..then surely you'd have Vettori ahead of Pollock and you would have forgot about Lara and Kallis who have no form.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Unlike the ICC .....My ODI side takes form and Record into consideration as opposed to just the overall record with a strong weighting towards form in the last 12-18 months or so.

My ODI side would be .....

Gilchrist
Fleming (c)
Astle
Ponting
Pietersen/Hussey
Symonds
Flintoff
Vettori
Bond
Murali
Mcgrath

Note: Fleming is there mainly for his captaincy....having said that he holds his own with his ODI batting in the last couple of years. The World XI's bad lack of leadership was shown up in the recent Super Series.

Aussie....If you were looking at recent form ...and partcularly if you paid attention to the recent Super series ODI's..then surely you'd have Vettori ahead of Pollock and you would have forgot about Lara and Kallis who have no form.
well ok if you looking at form over the last 12-18 months how is Astle in their over Dravid or Inzi or Bond their over Lee, sensing a bit of Kiwi baisness :p.

While even though Fleming's ODI form has been good, its touch n go between him & Gayle for that spot.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, in the last two years, Inzy averaged 45 to Astle's 42 in twice as many games, plus Astle is an opener by trade. Bond has played hardly any matches, and is in effect being selected ahead of Lee based on one ODI series, which involved two relatively weak ODI teams, compared to Lee who has almost 50 wickets this year at less than 20. Lee can also bat. Hussey, Pietersen and indeed Clarke all have fair cases, but haven't really been performing for that long.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pedro Delgado said:
Banger is more brutal in the first 15 overs (or 10, then 5 then the next five new rules blah blah) than Sachin. Tbh one can't have a world ODI side without Tres surely??
"Short memory, must have a -- Ooooh - short memory"

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Gilchrist
2. Gayle
3. Ponting
4. Kallis
5. Lara
6. Flintoff
7. Symonds
8. Pollock
9. Vaas