• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

Eclipse

International Debutant
Shoaib said:
Lee is now there in place of Vaas
Where is Ponting?

lol.. how could anyone justify leaving him out

Especialy with Dravid in there.. Ponting is a way better ODI batsman than both he and Inzy

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
Where is Ponting?

lol.. how could anyone justify leaving him out

Especialy with Dravid in there.. Ponting is a way better ODI batsman than both he and Inzy
I'd say Ponting is about on par with Dravid and Inzy as an ODI batsman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
Look at the resources Ponting has compared to Fleming though. How much NZ cricket do you watch? Fleming is a very astute captain.
And he's never lost the Bangladesh ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Are you serious? Inzy, I suppose you could make the argument, but Dravid?

Dravid has played 265 ODIs, has 8429 runs, averages 39.20, has 10 centuries, and has a strike rate of 69.75.

Ponting has played 30 less matches, has 18 more runs, averages 42.02, has 18 centuries, and has a strike rate almost 10 runs higher than Dravid.

Add to that the fact that Ponting is a much more versatile ODI batsman. Dravid is very reliable and an excellent anchor of an innings, but Ponting has an ability to accelerate the scoring that far outstrips anything Dravid (or Inzamam for that matter) can match, which is why he's made very large hundreds on several occasions even when he hasn't come in right at the start of the innings.

Dravid is borderline for a place in a world XI, and might make it but would be a justifiable omission. Ponting is a certainty.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Erm because on current form they're one of the worst sides around?
Then how would you explain Lara being selected?

From when has being a poor side meant a player from that side cannot be chosen in a World XI squad?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And he's never lost the Bangladesh ;)
Bangladesh is quite a large place, how the hell did someone lose them?

Have we looked behind Australia, and under Russia?

C_C

International Captain
World ODI XI since 1990:

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gillchrist(wkt)
Brian Lara
Ricky Ponting
Michael Bevan
Jonty Rhodes
Lance Klusener
Wasim Akram(c)
Muttiah Muralitharan
Alan Donald
Glenn McGrath

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Last 100 Games:

Brett Lee: 100 507 51* 19.50 0 1 184 5/30 21.70 3 26 0
Chaminda Vaas: 100 739 50* 14.49 0 1 139 8/19 23.61 2 22 0

Last 50 Games :

Brett Lee: 50 242 38* 24.20 0 0 85 5/41 22.34 1 14 0
Chaminda Vaas 50 305 28* 12.20 0 0 78 6/25 20.89 1 9 0

Now, tell me why Vaas, arguably the best slog overs bowler in the world should be dismissed so off-handedly by a biased Aussie, as in the post I quoted ?

Career

Lee 115 games, 207 wickets @ 21.93
Vaas 253 games, 326 wickets @ 26.19

Vaas vs Australia - 36 wickets @32.6
Vaas vs England - 25 wickets @ 28.76
Vaas vs NZ - 26 wickets @ 27
Vaas vs RSA - 33 wickets @ 28.51
Vaas vs India - 59 wickets @ 26.03
Vaas vs Pakistan - 58 wickets @ 32.87
Vaas vs WI - 21 wickets @ 17.85
Vaas vs Ban - 14 wickets @ 11.97
Vaas vs Zim - 42 wickets @ 18.33
Vaas vs Canada - 3 wickets @ 5

Lee vs SRL - 12 wickets @ 29
Lee vs England - 31 wickets @ 22
Lee vs NZ - 32 wickets @ 19.43
Lee vs RSA - 23 wickets @ 23.26
Lee vs India - 24 wickets @ 19.04
Lee vs Pak - 33 wickets @ 24..93
Lee vs WI - 24 wickets @ 17.62
Lee vs Ban - 10 wickets @ 17
Lee vs Zim - 4 wickets @ 66.5

not a bad record against the major sides for Vaas, not a patch on Lee's though.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Currently active players ( overall career perspective):

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gillchrist(wk)
Brian Lara
Ricky Ponting (c)
Rahul Dravid
Andrew Symonds
Andrew Flintoff
Chaminda Vaas
Brett Lee
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

C_C

International Captain
age_master said:
Average works out ok, ER is important but wickets are better :p

It is a combination of them all really.
Personally, i wouldnt mind less wickets if ER was better too. A 1.5 wkts/m and 4.5 econ is about the same as a 1.4 wkts/match and a 4.4 econ.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Are you serious? Inzy, I suppose you could make the argument, but Dravid?

Dravid has played 265 ODIs, has 8429 runs, averages 39.20, has 10 centuries, and has a strike rate of 69.75.

Ponting has played 30 less matches, has 18 more runs, averages 42.02, has 18 centuries, and has a strike rate almost 10 runs higher than Dravid.

Add to that the fact that Ponting is a much more versatile ODI batsman. Dravid is very reliable and an excellent anchor of an innings, but Ponting has an ability to accelerate the scoring that far outstrips anything Dravid (or Inzamam for that matter) can match, which is why he's made very large hundreds on several occasions even when he hasn't come in right at the start of the innings.

Dravid is borderline for a place in a world XI, and might make it but would be a justifiable omission. Ponting is a certainty.
Look at recent form...Dravid is still typecast as a defensive batsman not suited for ODIs from his early days - he has changed significantly since those days. He regularly scores at very good rates now and has that same ability as Ponting to up the tempo when it's required...In fact, he holds the joint Indian record for 2nd fastest ODI 50 (in 22 balls)...Add to the fact that no batsman contributes more to team wins and his commitment to the team, I don't think there is much to separate Dravid and Ponting.

Deja moo

International Captain
age_master said:
Career

Lee 115 games, 207 wickets @ 21.93
Vaas 253 games, 326 wickets @ 26.19

Vaas vs Australia - 36 wickets @32.6
Vaas vs England - 25 wickets @ 28.76
Vaas vs NZ - 26 wickets @ 27
Vaas vs RSA - 33 wickets @ 28.51
Vaas vs India - 59 wickets @ 26.03
Vaas vs Pakistan - 58 wickets @ 32.87
Vaas vs WI - 21 wickets @ 17.85
Vaas vs Ban - 14 wickets @ 11.97
Vaas vs Zim - 42 wickets @ 18.33
Vaas vs Canada - 3 wickets @ 5

Lee vs SRL - 12 wickets @ 29
Lee vs England - 31 wickets @ 22
Lee vs NZ - 32 wickets @ 19.43
Lee vs RSA - 23 wickets @ 23.26
Lee vs India - 24 wickets @ 19.04
Lee vs Pak - 33 wickets @ 24..93
Lee vs WI - 24 wickets @ 17.62
Lee vs Ban - 10 wickets @ 17
Lee vs Zim - 4 wickets @ 66.5

not a bad record against the major sides for Vaas, not a patch on Lee's though.

lol. Perspective please. Its already been established that people here arent choosing their teams based on entire careers. Which is why I provided stats of their most recent games. And considering that some people constantly use the fact that Murali plays half his games in Sri Lanka as a stick to beat him with, I think its only fair that they consider that Vaas plays half his games on unresponsive pitches, adn has still managed a slightly better average recently than Lee. Therefore, in the context of this thread, Vaas >> Lee.

howardj

International Coach
Deja moo said:
lol. Perspective please. Its already been established that people here arent choosing their teams based on entire careers. Which is why I provided stats of their most recent games. And considering that some people constantly use the fact that Murali plays half his games in Sri Lanka as a stick to beat him with, I think its only fair that they consider that Vaas plays half his games on unresponsive pitches, adn has still managed a slightly better average recently than Lee. Therefore, in the context of this thread, Vaas >> Lee.
Why are the bowling records of these guys the only focus of the debate? With the bowling, it's fairly even - or at least neither play holds a significant advantage. However, when you factor in batting and fielding, I think Lee brings more to the table than Vaas. Not to say that Vaas is not a good player, though.

Deja moo

International Captain
howardj said:
Why are the bowling records of these guys the only focus of the debate? With the bowling, it's fairly even - or at least neither play holds a significant advantage. However, when you factor in batting and fielding, I think Lee brings more to the table than Vaas. Not to say that Vaas is not a good player, though.
I know they're close, my initial post was really in response to Garven saying that Vaas doesnt come even close to Lee...

I can see why, if people accept that they have comparable records in recent times ( and 'recent' has even been stretched to 100 games, which I think is 4 years? A long period by all accounts), people could choose Lee for his batting too. But as I said, I'm a huge fan of Vaas' death overs' bowling, and that combined with his lower ER overall ( I havent checked, but I think I can safely assume its lower than Lees 5+ ), I'd pick him ahead of Lee in the context of this thread.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vaas' batting is superior to that of Lee.

I ended up picking Pollock because, bascially, I always rated him, but dont really think he "deserves" it.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dasa said:

lol under what means do you say and believe that?

certainly none of the stats would indicate they are his equal

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dasa said:
Look at recent form...Dravid is still typecast as a defensive batsman not suited for ODIs from his early days - he has changed significantly since those days. He regularly scores at very good rates now and has that same ability as Ponting to up the tempo when it's required...In fact, he holds the joint Indian record for 2nd fastest ODI 50 (in 22 balls)...Add to the fact that no batsman contributes more to team wins and his commitment to the team, I don't think there is much to separate Dravid and Ponting.
That's stupid..

Look at recent form??? it tells you Ponting is better he is number 2 in the ICC ODI rankings for batsman just behind Gilly..

And Dravid most certainly cannot hit as well as Ponting.. that's one Innings he did and in the end it's only 50 odd runs.

Average, Strike rate, runs per innings, number of hundreds, all point to Ponting..

And don't say he doesn't play importaint innings, just look at the WC final.

This is stupid really he's a way better ODI batsman and it's not even wortrh argueing about.