• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

jeevan

International 12th Man
Its not post 20:20. He has ALWAYS been like that. A big head has ben his problem from the very beginning. The worst is that it does not allow him to see when and where he needs to improve and that is hurting his career.
The therapy that Sehwag, Gambhir, Ganguly, Raina, IK Pathan, Harbhajan, Zaheer, Munaf
were subjected to (ie an extended drop from any international games) appears to have worked in almost every instance. Perhaps Yuvraj may want to try it too, no shame in it - some of these guys are as illustrious or perhaps even more so - some were even less deserving of therapy.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The therapy that Sehwag, Gambhir, Ganguly, Raina, IK Pathan, Harbhajan, Zaheer, Munaf
were subjected to (ie an extended drop from any international games) appears to have worked in almost every instance. Perhaps Yuvraj may want to try it too, no shame in it - some of these guys are as illustrious or perhaps even more so - some were even less deserving of therapy.
It wont work in Yuvraj's case. Unlike all of them, Yuvraj comes from a very affluent family which doesn't need Boad's money not to forget the fact that his family is very powerful in Punjab Cricket. There aren't too many people who could keep Yuvraj Singh for long esp when Bindra holds so much power in Indian Cricket.

Remember Yograj Singh Bundel is his name and this is what happens when he comes ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mVnt9chQ8

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Regarding Yuvraj,i personally don't see a need to panic actually.Lets face it he has never been any good against quality spin.So i suggest that he dropped from all future matches against SL(the only ODI side with more than half-decent spinners).And in any case,in the Test arena,i think he has been bypassed by other youngsters who will be ahead in the pecking order..He looked quite good against the seamers for however brief he stayed at the crease even in this series.So yeah i think he should be regular part of ODI XI except against SL.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding Yuvraj,i personally don't see a need to panic actually.Lets face it he has never been any good against quality spin.So i suggest that he dropped from all future matches against SL(the only ODI side with more than half-decent spinners).And in any case,in the Test arena,i think he has been bypassed by other youngsters who will be ahead in the pecking order..He looked quite good against the seamers for however brief he stayed at the crease even in this series.So yeah i think he should be regular part of ODI XI except against SL.
So the top batsmen of a team should be shielded from the better bowling attacks rather then them working on ironing out their games ?

Lambu

U19 Debutant
I do not view it as "shielding" but yes you could say that..although i would like consider it as "horses for courses".We do not lack the man power to implement this policy(esp in the batting department)..

And regarding ironig ut flaws..i think its fairly obvious that Yuvi's problem against spinners is beyond correction?Atleast thats my perspective.

jeevan

International 12th Man
It wont work in Yuvraj's case. Unlike all of them, Yuvraj comes from a very affluent family which doesn't need Boad's money not to forget the fact that his family is very powerful in Punjab Cricket. There aren't too many people who could keep Yuvraj Singh for long esp when Bindra holds so much power in Indian Cricket.

Remember Yograj Singh Bundel is his name and this is what happens when he comes ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mVnt9chQ8
Same as Ganguly, tbh, right down to board patronage. Though you may be right, because Dalmia was very much under duress then but the current BCCI group is very much entrenched.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Same as Ganguly, tbh, right down to board patronage. Though you may be right, because Dalmia was very much under duress then but the current BCCI group is very much entrenched.
Putting Ganguly and Yuvraj in the same bracket is a travesty. It was the Same Ganguly who was kept out of Indian Cricket for 5 years despite Dalimya being there.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Putting Ganguly and Yuvraj in the same bracket is a travesty. It was the Same Ganguly who was kept out of Indian Cricket for 5 years despite Dalimya being there.
Whatever, man. If you dont think that Ganguly had clout in 2005 or that he doesnt come from an independently wealthy background - it's all good. I am very clearly comparing their non-cricketing circumstances.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever, man. If you dont think that Ganguly had clout in 2005 or that he doesnt come from an independently wealthy background - it's all good. I am very clearly comparing their non-cricketing circumstances.
But you didn't say 2005, okay and being rich and having clout in Indian cricket are two different things because if he had any of it he wouldn't have served total isolation for 5 years on the basis of one report.

As for his clout (aka Mr. Dalmiya helping him) here is what Mr. Bindra had to say :-

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/224291.html

adharcric

International Coach
But you didn't say 2005, okay and being rich and having clout in Indian cricket are two different things because if he had any of it he wouldn't have served total isolation for 5 years on the basis of one report.

As for his clout (aka Mr. Dalmiya helping him) here is what Mr. Bindra had to say :-

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/224291.html
How did he get back to the team then? You're telling me that was all based on merit?

Migara

International Coach
Any one got to see the disgraceful appeal from Dhoni aginst Kapugedara (caught nand bowled off Ojha). Dhoni clearl saw it bounced, but kept on appealing and celebrating. Poor Ojha wouldn't have known it. After all this is from the captain of the team who are whinging about the spirit of cricket and fair play!

Precambrian

Banned
Any one got to see the disgraceful appeal from Dhoni aginst Kapugedara (caught nand bowled off Ojha). Dhoni clearl saw it bounced, but kept on appealing and celebrating. Poor Ojha wouldn't have known it. After all this is from the captain of the team who are whinging about the spirit of cricket and fair play!
Hard to tell from Dhoni's pov as the batsman might have come in his way or distracted him. Anyway, the right decision prevailed in the end.

Even funnier was Sri Lanka captain's words 'India tends to give up easily. We played more competitive cricket throughout the series.' Hello, this was a dead rubber man, and India won the series, pretty fair and square. And without three key players Sachin, Sehwag and Ishant. How about making a comparison of the combined experience of the teams? Couldn't keep laughing.

BTW, he's made this quite a habit these days, even when the team was battered in Australia in the test series he was telling 'we played competitive cricket' Give opposition some respect, atleast in defeat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure when Dhoni whinged abt the spirit of the game and I certainly do not recollect him whinging abt opposition guys claiming bump ball catches.

He does appeal for bump ball catches but I dont think it is hypocritical of him as I am yet to see him complain abt others doing the same to him...

Migara

International Coach
Hard to tell from Dhoni's pov as the batsman might have come in his way or distracted him. Anyway, the right decision prevailed in the end.
He has moved right out of the way of batsman and had a clear view. Then if he wa distracted, why he was appealing?

Even funnier was Sri Lanka captain's words 'India tends to give up easily. We played more competitive cricket throughout the series.' Hello, this was a dead rubber man, and India won the series, pretty fair and square. And without three key players Sachin, Sehwag and Ishant. How about making a comparison of the combined experience of the teams? Couldn't keep laughing.[
Can't help when some idiotic things are told by the players. Although SL lost they have taken more wickets and scored more runs than India. 3-2 is a competitive series, and when lost side makes more runs and takes more wickets that means it had been even closer. And how about Malinga and Maharoof in the side as well?

But cheating is cheating, specially from guys who whing endlessely about spirit of cricket.

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
I am not sure when Dhoni whinged abt the spirit of the game and I certainly do not recollect him whinging abt opposition guys claiming bump ball catches
.I was referring to team India, not Dhoni.

He does appeal for bump ball catches but I dont think it is hypocritical of him as I am yet to see him complain abt others doing the same to him...
So then Micheal Clark's bump ball incident is OK?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
.I was referring to team India, not Dhoni.

So then Micheal Clark's bump ball incident is OK?
Dhoni is the one who appeals.. Kumble was the one who complained. Kumble hasn't claimed any bump ball catches to my memory.. What exactly is the problem here?

Or is it the fact that they are Indians???

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All keepers do it. Sangakkara is no saint to phantom appeals. If a player thinks the decision might go their way they appeal wholeheartedly. Don't know why the moral outrage by Migara here.

Precambrian

Banned
He has moved right out of the way of batsman and had a clear view. Then if he wa distracted, why he was appealing?

Can't help when some idiotic things are told by the players. Although SL lost they have taken more wickets and scored more runs than India. 3-2 is a competitive series, and when lost side makes more runs and takes more wickets that means it had been even closer. And how about Malinga and Maharoof in the side as well?

But cheating is cheating, specially from guys who whing endlessely about spirit of cricket.
I think your first para argument is absurd. Because India didn't take the 5th game seriously and had a really bad defeat and so also in the first game. However in the other three games they were on top at almost all times in the match. If your argument holds good, why have seperate matches, why don't total up total of runs scored and wickets taken in all 5 matches and declare winner, Amateurish words by Jayawardene. And Maharoof and Malinga were there in Australian series and were dealt comfortably with by Indians. And at no point one could compare absence of these two guys with Sachin and Sehwag not to mention Ishant. Sri Lanka still operated at almost 100 per cent capacity with all their major guns, Jayasurya, Sanga, Jaya, Murali, Vaas not to mention the sensation Mendis. Heck, the total of the experience of the Indian side could only maybe just match Jayasurya's alone.

I don't want to go much into the claimed catch as I think it's a non issue. Dhoni might have genuinely thought that it was not grounded, or he might have claimed it deliberately. Any way, we never know, but I'd never approve if it's the latter at any stage by anyone.

ret

International Debutant
someone is feeling sore after the series loss :laugh: