• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Im watching it, it seems ok. Not too much going on. My man Tshabalala is doing ok and Steyn is bowling quickly but not crazy fast (140s kph touching 150).

I hope Rich reads this thread and acknowledges Morkels contribution after bashing him at every opportunity.

End of the day these games mean nothing. Losing this really should not make anyone worry. England lost against SA A in a FC warmup and then easily beat SA in the Tests.

These games are practice and no Indian supporter should pay them much attention. All it is is preparation. A 'posh' net if you will.
How's the wicket playing, much pace or bounce?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
How's the wicket playing, much pace or bounce?
Its carrying through but looks a decent track to bat on. Steyn has been doing it with pace rather than a lot of help from the track.

Its a little green and there is some moisture but not enough to really scare anyone.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Its carrying through but looks a decent track to bat on. Steyn has been doing it with pace rather than a lot of help from the track.

Its a little green and there is some moisture but not enough to really scare anyone.

Err, anyone.*

Except the Indians.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
I hope Rich reads this thread and acknowledges Morkels contribution after bashing him at every opportunity..
Yeah he's gone from "Of course there's no quotas when Albie Morkel gets a game!" to "Poor mans Justin Kemp"

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good innings there for Jacobus Rudolph to lift the Rest of South Africa up to 255. Pathan, Khan and Kumble all bowled well but Munaf Patel must have got smashed for a couple of overs because he bowled 3 maidens and still went at 7 an over.

Dravid, Kaif and Pathan were the only positives for India with the bat although Kaif played pretty slowly. By the looks of it the team was quite experimental so I wouldn't read too much into the result. Great bowling by Steyn, showeed alot of potential in the tests against New Zealand. What do the South African fans think of Johan van der Wath? A lesser version of Andrew Hall?

adharcric

International Coach
Raina and Mongia seriously crack me up. They were both given an opportunity to secure that final middle-order berth and they used those opportunities very well - both out for a duck. Raina will probably play in the first ODI for his fielding and because this is a do-or-die (for now) tour for him.

Sehwag, Tendulkar, Kaif, Dravid, Raina, Dhoni, Pathan, Kumble, Bhajji, Zaheer, Munaf/Sreesanth IMO

They should seriously consider sending Kaif and Raina up the order at 3 and 4.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
What do the South African fans think of Johan van der Wath? A lesser version of Andrew Hall?
As Rich said, he is different to Hall. Van der Wath is a bowler that can hit the ball hard lower down the order.

In truth, his batting helps get him selected but he is primarily a bowler. Hall is whatever the selecters want him to be on any particular day. He certainly a far more accomplished bat than vdW and there isnt too much to choose between their bowling.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
As Rich said, he is different to Hall. Van der Wath is a bowler that can hit the ball hard lower down the order.

In truth, his batting helps get him selected but he is primarily a bowler. Hall is whatever the selecters want him to be on any particular day. He certainly a far more accomplished bat than vdW and there isnt too much to choose between their bowling.
der Wath will be playing county cricket next season, be interesting to see how he gets on. Think his a pretty decent hitter of a cricket ball and he could improve with the bat but he is currently one of the worst players of spin I have seen. Bowling seems far too erratic as well though he has a tendency to bowl just one length as well, seen him bowl a few times and it was either bounces all day or attempting to smash the batsman feet with yorkers, needless to say he was not very successful with both methods.

shortpitched713

International Captain
adharcric said:
Raina and Mongia seriously crack me up. They were both given an opportunity to secure that final middle-order berth and they used those opportunities very well - both out for a duck. Raina will probably play in the first ODI for his fielding and because this is a do-or-die (for now) tour for him.
They'll probably pick Mongia, he'll do pretty well, and the Indian selectors will forget about Raina for the next 3-5 years.

adharcric

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
Wasim Jaffer and Parthiv Patel both beg to differ.
Jaffer wasn't a favorite of the management like Raina is. Besides, he's back now after continued domestic success.

Patel hasn't been forgotten about - he just sucks. He finds a place in India A and gets opportunities in Challenger, Duleep and Deodhar matches regardless of how he performs.

I know what you're saying, but a) the selectors are improving in that regard b) do your research and find a solid example before talking :)

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
adharcric said:
Jaffer wasn't a favorite of the management like Raina is. Besides, he's back now after continued domestic success.

Patel hasn't been forgotten about - he just sucks. He finds a place in India A and gets opportunities in Challenger, Duleep and Deodhar matches regardless of how he performs.

I know what you're saying, but a) the selectors are improving in that regard b) do your research and find a solid example before talking :)
Jaffer was a pretty good example I think. Sure he's in the team now, but he could have been the solution to India's opening problem well before when he was selected most recently. And he had to get a mountain of domestic runs to get back in despite the fact that he'd already shown the technique and the temperament to be successful at the highest level. And the whole thing about Raina being a favorite of the management just doesn't wash with me. It doesn't take too many bad performances for the fickle management to write off a young talent like Raina.

Although I'll agree that the Indian selectors have got better with things like this, I still think that they lack any sort of viable long term plan, as evidenced by selections that are pretty random at times.