• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
South Africa always flopped when it came to the crunch....they lost 3-1 to Australia in 1996-1997 and 1997-1998 over six tests home and away. Australia clearly proved their superiority.

But yeah their team was failry good in the 1990's certainly far better than it is now......I think the Saffies are hugely overrated these days....c'mon they lost 3-zip at home to an Australian team without McGrath..
Last 3 Pak vs Aus series. Australia 9 - Pakistan 0

Salamuddin said:
It's a pity Pakistan won't have Akhatr and Asif, beacuse with those 2 I reckon w'd have a real chance of beating the Saffies on their home turf early next year.
If it is the Saffies struggling for talent and Pakistan have an abundance (as has been mentioned on CW by certain posters) why cant they just plug the gap with similar talent?

Also if SA as so poor, why would you only give Pak a chance in SA if those guys were available? Why wouldnt they easily beat them like England and Aus did?

I find the SA bashing strange. Not because it cant be done (Hell I do it plenty) but the method by which you chose and the position of weakness you come from given Pakistans record against SA and Aus.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Goughy said:
Last 3 Pak vs Aus series. Australia 9 - Pakistan 0

If it is the Saffies struggling for talent and Pakistan have an abundance (as has been mentioned on CW by certain posters) why cant they just plug the gap with similar talent?

Also if SA as so poor, why would you only give Pak a chance in SA if those guys were available? Why wouldnt they easily beat them like England and Aus did?

I find the SA bashing strange. Not because it cant be done (Hell I do it plenty) but the method by which you chose and the position of weakness you come from given Pakistans record against SA and Aus.
Pakistan haven't played Australia at home since 2002-2003 when we were a much poorer side than we are now. Funnily enough that's the last time South Africa beat Pakistan in a testr series.....they lost when they played them in 2003-2004.
Even without Akhtar and Asif I'd still wager we wouldn't lose 3-0 at home to an Aussie team and certainly not one without McGrath.
We also beat England 2-0 at home, drew in India and beat Sri Lanka away something the Saffies failed to do....

Well I didn't say South Africa were a poor team - I said they were an overrated one and their record paricularly away from home of late certainly bears testimony to that.
No team can lose its first choice new ball attack and replace them in a flash.....if South Africa were to lose Ntini, I think they'd struggle to win home tests let alone away ones.
But even without Akhtar and Asif, I think RSA will find Pakistan a tough team to beat early next year.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
But yeah their team was failry good in the 1990's certainly far better than it is now......I think the Saffies are hugely overrated these days....c'mon they lost 3-zip at home to an Australian team without McGrath.
OK so they were fairly good in the 90s and declined since.
Well. Since 2000 (when an supposed only fairly good side has been in decline) their Test record compares more than favourably with Pakistans.

Since 2000
SA - Won - 45% Tests
SA - Lost - 30% Tests

Pak - Won - 42% Tests
Pak - Lost - 36% Tests

Anyway, back on topic. I have my ticket for the 5th ODI at Centurian. Going for the fun as I dont really pay much attention to ODIs.

Test series will be hard fought, but I see SA winning.

It is an important series for India, as Eng and Aus have come to SA recently and beat them at home and it gives them a chance to put themselves in contention for one of the top few teams in the world.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Goughy said:
OK so they were fairly good in the 90s and declined since.
Well. Since 2000 (when an supposed only fairly good side has been in decline) their Test record compares more than favourably with Pakistans.

Since 2000
SA - Won - 45% Tests
SA - Lost - 30% Tests

Pak - Won - 42% Tests
Pak - Lost - 36% Tests

Anyway, back on topic. I have my ticket for the 5th ODI at Centurian. Going for the fun as I dont really pay much attention to ODIs.

Test series will be hard fought, but I see SA winning.

It is an important series for India, as Eng and Aus have come to SA recently and beat them at home and it gives them a chance to put themselves in contention for one of the top few teams in the world.

Tipping Saffies 3-1 for the ODis and 1-0 in the tests........key for India is gonna be whether their batsmen can occupy the crease for long periods and put up big scores....if they can a maiden test win in RSA is not out the equation....after all, they did come tantalising close to beating South AFrica in the Jo'Burg test in eraly 1997 and that was a stronger Souith African team and a weaker Indian team at the time than the respective sides now.

I certainly think India should be tougher for RSA than New Zealand were.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
I certainly think India should be tougher for RSA than New Zealand were.
Agreed.
A key for me will be whether the Indian seamers can take advantage of Smiths weakness to the in-swinging ball. If not I see him scoring a lot of runs

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Goughy said:
Agreed.
A key for me will be whether the Indian seamers can take advantage of Smiths weakness to the in-swinging ball. If not I see him scoring a lot of runs
I completely agree, he is due for a good series and I can see him murdering the Indian pacers. I could also see him becoming Pathan's bunny in the conditions suit some swing.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well, the bcci have been talking about linking pay to performance and solidifying that plan based on performance in this series, hopefully that will make the indian team more "dedicated"....:)

Nishant

International 12th Man
hopefully, india will play better in this series! The thing with india is that they are just so unpredictable. I tip india to win 3-1, but i do think that a 2-2 draw is also possible!

As for the test series, i think performances in the one-day series MAY influence the outcome. Otherwise, im not too sure; hopefully india!

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Please God Please....I just ask you three things:

1) Let India win both in the Test and ODI series here in SA
2) Let India win the WC
3) Let India win in England, the tour after the WC

Dravid

International Captain
Turbinator said:
Please God Please....I just ask you three things:

1) Let India win both in the Test and ODI series here in SA
2) Let India win the WC
3) Let India win in England, the tour after the WC
Please let India get a decent coach.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
Please let India get a decent coach.
They have a decent coach, they just don't have decent players, or a decent board or a decent domestic system.

Harsh, but true. You can have any coach you want, but until the domestic structure improves, you aren't getting a world beater team out of India.

Nishant

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
They have a decent coach, they just don't have decent players, or a decent board or a decent domestic system.

Harsh, but true. You can have any coach you want, but until the domestic structure improves, you aren't getting a world beater team out of India.
we have good players...Dravid tendulkar etc etc...the list can go on! But, i do aagree that the domestic structure is not perfect....but name one that is. That should not be an excuse for india to lose matches. IMO, the real reason for their underperformances is that they get too big-headed when they perform well for any period of time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nishant said:
we have good players...Dravid tendulkar etc etc...the list can go on! But, i do aagree that the domestic structure is not perfect....but name one that is. That should not be an excuse for india to lose matches. IMO, the real reason for their underperformances is that they get too big-headed when they perform well for any period of time.
No, they have stars but thats it. They are lacking in bowling talent, and their domestic structure is far far from those of England or Australia even though the BCCI has the money. None of our pitches prepare the batsman for bounce or movement.

Tendulkar is too inconsistent at the moment, Dravid is the only guy in the batting lineup you can rely on. One, out of seven. Bowling you can rely on Kumble, but thats it. So you have two players out of 11 who will perform in virtually every match, and you have 9 inconsistent players. Not a recipe for victory, and nothing to do with a big head.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
No, they have stars but thats it. They are lacking in bowling talent, and their domestic structure is far far from those of England or Australia even though the BCCI has the money. None of our pitches prepare the batsman for bounce or movement.

Tendulkar is too inconsistent at the moment, Dravid is the only guy in the batting lineup you can rely on. One, out of seven. Bowling you can rely on Kumble, but thats it. So you have two players out of 11 who will perform in virtually every match, and you have 9 inconsistent players. Not a recipe for victory, and nothing to do with a big head.
I love it.....typical SS post! :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shortpitched713 said:
Sehwag is a match-winner, so thats two.
Sehwag is a flat track bully. He had a good series in NZ (or as good as you can have while losing every match), but other than that he is inconsistent and generally unreliable. Problem is there is no one to replace him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Position by position comparison (ODI):

1. Graeme Smith vs. Sachin Tendulkar
    Advantage: India Sachin hasn't been doing very well in tests but he has still performed well in ODI's.

2. Loots Bosman vs. Virender Sehwag
    Advantage: India Toughie, Sehwag is not a good ODI player but Bosman is new, so I have to give it to India

3. Herschelle Gibbs vs. Mohammad Kaif
    Advantage: South Africa Kaif at 3? Whatever.

4. Jacques Kallis vs. Rahul Dravid
    Advantage: South AfricaB] It would be Dravid at home or on neutral ground, but at home Kallis has to win it.

[*]AB de Villiers vs. Suresh Raina
    Advantage: South Africa Raina is still very young and inexperienced

[*]Mark Boucher vs. MS Dhoni
    Advantage: South Africa Dhoni on bouncy wickets? No, thanks.

[*]Justin Kemp vs.Dinesh Mongia
    Advantage: South Africa

[*]Shaun Pollock vs. Irfan Pathan
    Advantage: South Africa LOL, what a matchup ;)

[*]Charl Langeveldt vs. Harbhajan Singh
    Advantage: South Africa Would be Singh at home, but in SA with the pitches they have?

[*]Andre Nel vs. Zaheer Khan
    Advantage: India Yea, thats right. An Indian pacer wins out...I think Zaheer is in form and in good rhythm after the county stint and I like Nel, but I think Zaheer is in better form.

[*]Makhaya Ntini vs. Munaf Patel
    Advantage: South Africa No explanation needed here either

Final Score: 8-3 in favor of South Africa.
Prediction: South Africa win the ODI's 3-1.

Last edited: