• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Pakistan Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
Yes, because this is the only time Tendulkar has done nothing at 4. Sorry.
No-one said that, but to write him off on one innings as you appear to is absolutelty ridiculous. His record at 4 is an average of 60.68 from 142 innings - so yes, I can see why he must go to 6 because he got 1 in his last knock.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
Okay it was 3-2 with 2 draws.
1-0 and 1-1 is 2-1. 4 draws in there suggests the teams are pretty evenly matched.

Lions81 said:
Fine, they're close, but India's better, because they won 3 and lost 2, as opposed to England which lost 3 and only won 2.
Aside from the fact it was 2-1, that doesn't show either side to be clearly better. Heck, England just won 3-0 in the WI, but I don't think you can say they were that much better than the WI.

Lions81 said:
Okay it is based on how they've played all the teams, so let's talk about how they've fared. Where has England thrashed an opponent that beat India?
It's not about thrashing, it's about consistency - as it stands, when was the last time India won an away Test Series (I know that will change in the next 24 hours or so, but that's still only 1 in about 16 years, including a series in Zimbabwe!)

Lions81 said:
And the last team in memory who really gave it to us good was New Zealand, and those pitches were insane, and they're coming to give you a taste of New Zealand hospitality in a few months! :p
Erm, if we're at home, we're the one's showing them hospitality...

That series promises to be a good, well fought and close affair - the one thing that could definitiely count in England's favour is the size of the NZ squad though.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
1-0 and 1-1 is 2-1. 4 draws in there suggests the teams are pretty evenly matched.

Aside from the fact it was 2-1, that doesn't show either side to be clearly better. Heck, England just won 3-0 in the WI, but I don't think you can say they were that much better than the WI.

It's not about thrashing, it's about consistency - as it stands, when was the last time India won an away Test Series (I know that will change in the next 24 hours or so, but that's still only 1 in about 16 years, including a series in Zimbabwe!)

Erm, if we're at home, we're the one's showing them hospitality...

That series promises to be a good, well fought and close affair - the one thing that could definitiely count in England's favour is the size of the NZ squad though.

My fault, I confused the India-England results with the India-Australia ones. Yes you're right 2-1, with 4 draws.

I think England beating 3-0 does in fact show that they are a far better test side. Otherwise what is the point of even keeping score? By what margin would England had to have won that series to be considered the far better team? Unless you can show that England cheated to win, how can they not be considered far better as a test side than the West Indies? 3-0 is 3-0.

Yes, India have been inconsistent, but I think hopefully the team has turned a new leaf. Remember, Australia were trash in the 1970s, until they turned over a new leaf as well.

And I clearly meant New Zealand hospitality as a humorous implication of New Zealand's penchant for playing better away than home! I did say "coming"!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
I think England beating 3-0 does in fact show that they are a far better test side. Otherwise what is the point of even keeping score? By what margin would England had to have won that series to be considered the far better team? Unless you can show that England cheated to win, how can they not be considered far better as a test side than the West Indies? 3-0 is 3-0.

Because in all 3 Tests we won, the match was very close until a session or so where England stepped up to the plate and battled.

1st Test - the 47 all out after a close 1st innins battle.
2nd Test - 100-0 to about 130-7
3rd Test - Thorpe battles us to a lead of 4 or 5 by adding 70 for the last 2 wickets (out a total of about 200) then a Hoggard hat-trick just as WI were looking to get on top.

That's why the 3-0 was IMO flattering.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Because in all 3 Tests we won, the match was very close until a session or so where England stepped up to the plate and battled.

1st Test - the 47 all out after a close 1st innins battle.
2nd Test - 100-0 to about 130-7
3rd Test - Thorpe battles us to a lead of 4 or 5 by adding 70 for the last 2 wickets (out a total of about 200) then a Hoggard hat-trick just as WI were looking to get on top.

That's why the 3-0 was IMO flattering.
You act as if those batting collapses had nothing to do with the quality of the bowling! The West Indies did not decide it would be fun to be 47 all out, it was superb fast bowling from Harmison. Same with 2nd test and Hoggard's hat trick. Thorpe's innings was excellent as it was against Edwards and Best who had their tails up, were bowling fire and was under huge pressure. If they were so close, wouldn't you figure the Windies would've taken one of those tests? Even when they put up 700, they couldn't bowl England out twice. England is unquestionably a much better test team than the West Indies, and they'll have a chance to prove me wrong when West Indies visit!

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
already 5 dropped catches today. pakistan should have been 5 down atleast by now. not a good display by the indian fieldsman :@:@:@

we need to improve our fielding now. although 2 of them were real tough ones.

Last edited:

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Vroomfondel said:
amazing. three dropped catches.
so what is it? they don't want to win this one?

"pehle aap"?
Gee, and I would add to that, kaun banega crorepati?

Yeah, these dropped catches are incredible.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
15.3 Balaji to Kamran Akmal, FOUR, good length delivery outside the off
stump, Kamran Akmal tries to pull his bat away but the ball takes
the edge and goes behind, just past the diving Laxman at second
slip, was a hard chance but should go down as a drop
16.4 Pathan to Kamran Akmal, no run, on the pads, ball stopped a bit on
the batsman, Akmal pushes at it, not sure if he got an inside edge
but that dosen't matter as Yuvraj fails to hold on to it at
forward short leg!
19.5 Balaji to Yasir Hameed, no run, dropped! pitched up outside the off
stump, driven away to the point region, Tendulkar dives well to
his left but is not able to hold on to it, hard chance but another
strike in the "dropped" column
21.6 Balaji to Inzamam-ul-Haq, no run, goodness me! another catch
dropped! superb delivery on the middle and off stump line, Inzi
pushes at it and gets a thick edge, this time it's Dravid's turn,
another easy catch dropped at first slip
22.2 Pathan to Yasir Hameed, two runs, dear oh dear! this is
unbelievable! another chance goes begging! pitched up delivery
angling across the right hander, Hameed drives away from his body
and hits it uplishly to the gully region, this time it's Kumble
who drops it

What's that, five dropped in eight overs?

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
Finally Hameed goes out caught by parthiv, who took a excellent diving catch. hopefully this improves our fielding. pakistan in deep trouble now, at 90/4 with serious danger of a big innings defeat over them.

also, indias biggest win away is an inn & 52 runs in the 1st match of this series, hopefully, we can beat it today. and i cant wait to see indias 1st away series win since 1994 when india best sri lanka in sri lanka. well played, indian team, you deserve it:)

Last edited:

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Proud Indian said:
In the first hours the indian dropped 6 catches while takeing 2 catches and 1 bowled.
Really shocking!

A really funny thing a Pakistani friend of mine said after I was needling him about the test series, and after he tried to say it was all match-fixing:

"That Dravid is a selfish guy. He takes the bookie's money, but he doesn't get out!"

Hehe.

Choora

State Regular
Pakistan are 125 for 5, an innings defeat is now for certain.

And guess who is the pick of the bowlers?

Its L BALAJI !! :D

Sehwag309

Banned
Lions81 said:
Really shocking!

A really funny thing a Pakistani friend of mine said after I was needling him about the test series, and after he tried to say it was all match-fixing:

"That Dravid is a selfish guy. He takes the bookie's money, but he doesn't get out!"

Hehe.
Good one

V Reddy

International Debutant
Choora said:
Pakistan are 125 for 5, an innings defeat is now for certain.

And guess who is the pick of the bowlers?

Its L BALAJI !! :D
Your word is atlast turning true :D . 5 catches were dropped of his bowling in 1 hour and still he picked up 3 wickets :huh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Heavy rain is forecast for later this afternoon and all of tomorrow - although you wouldn't think it the way Shoaib threw the bat (unless getting the ball stuck on the roof is a deliberate delaying tactic, of course).

Sehwag309

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Heavy rain is forecast for later this afternoon and all of tomorrow - although you wouldn't think it the way Shoaib threw the bat (unless getting the ball stuck on the roof is a deliberate delaying tactic, of course).

:whip: Ganguly will even get umbrellas for India to bowl them out and win the series

Last edited: