• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Because we're ****ing ********. Also if we ripped you to pieces like 2002 you might not tour again and give NZC money.

O'Brien drops the catch..who wants to comment?

Here comes a draw.
haha-you are joking right?that is a more paranoid comment than ones made by some pakistan fans.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Because if they collapse they actually have something to fall back on?
The guy has been there for 600 minutes. The chance of a collapse is much higher if they open up, rather than banking on what got them through 151 overs for loss of only three wickets.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Again, a run out chance and one in the air! So close to losing the plot and throwing away two days of work here. Calm down and just keep batting for a run or two an over. It's enough.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah they aren't out of the woods yet...with only yuvraj and karthik to follow and yuvraj especially just pretending to be a test batsman, these two need to stretch it out a lot longer...

Flem274*

123/5
haha-you are joking right?that is a more paranoid comment than ones made by some pakistan fans.
Whenever the idea of greentops has been floated down here, thats been the rebuttal by the non-greentop brigade.

Its not too far fetched to suggest that if we had swept the series 2 or 3-0 via 2002 greentops, there would have been frowns from the BCCI again.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The guy has been there for 600 minutes. The chance of a collapse is much higher if they open up, rather than banking on what got them through 151 overs for loss of only three wickets.
Gambhir didn't open up, he was bowled a bad ball and put it away. Nothing wrong with that. Laxman played the risky shot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
2002 wickets were a bit more than green tops if truth be told.

Just a sporting wicket wouldn't piss off the BCCI. You realise SA vs. India had two of those right?

Flem274*

123/5
What makes you say that?
There were frowns last time weren't there? I certainly remember an interview with Ganguly where he was unhappy. I was 12 or so though, so my memory may be faulty. however as my memory serves, they weren't happy and if it happened again in the current climate, there's those in NZ that believe that it would damage cricketing relations (Mark Richardson being their leader).

Flem274*

123/5
2002 wickets were a bit more than green tops if truth be told.

Just a sporting wicket wouldn't piss off the BCCI. You realise SA vs. India had two of those right?
They had even bounce iirc. sure they were dificult, very dificult, but they were the equivalent of what this pitch and many other pitches are to bowlers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There were frowns last time weren't there? I certainly remember an interview with Ganguly where he was unhappy. I was 12 or so though, so my memory may be faulty. however as my memory serves, they weren't happy and if it happened again in the current climate, there's those in NZ that believe that it would damage cricketing relations (Mark Richardson being their leader).
Ganguly doesn't decide the tours. You can't attribute what players say to what BCCI does. Kumble was unhappy for a decade with what Indian groundsmen did to the boundaries. Nothing happened.

People who think it does are speaking out of their ass. That's not the way BCCI think. Speaking honestly, NZ could prepare Tests that last one day or ones that wouldn't have a result in a hundred years, and BCCI would still look at only two things when deciding tours: money and/or politics. That's it. Preparing greentops or flat tops will not make a difference, BCCI doesn't particularly care how the team does.

Flem274*

123/5
Ganguly doesn't decide the tours. You can't attribute what players say to what BCCI does. Kumble was unhappy for a decade with what Indian groundsmen did to the boundaries. Nothing happened.

People who think it does are speaking out of their ass. That's not the way BCCI think. Speaking honestly, NZ could prepare Tests that last one day or ones that wouldn't have a result in a hundred years, and BCCI would still look at only one thing when deciding tours: money and/or politics. That's it. Preparing greentops or flat tops will not make a difference, BCCI doesn't particularly care how the team does.
I think the BCCI does care to an extent about how the team does tbh.

Anyway, my point is that certain sections down here, rightly or wrongly, believe that preparing nasty greentops would screw over cricketing relations between the two. Also, the brainless idea that a flat pitch is a good pitch, means that if NZC believes either idea (there's a fair chance), then this will continue.

Its not, as Cowboyfan (think it was him) suggested, a fear of Indias pace bowlers thats stopping us from preparing greentops. NZC (and groundsmen, in fact if there are three day tests they cop stick from all kinds of people) is either worried about the BCCI, thinks draws are good cricket, or both.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think the BCCI does care to an extent about how the team does tbh.
Not when deciding tours, they don't. They'd tour Iraq in the middle of the Battle of Fallujah if there was money.

Anyway, my point is that certain sections down here, rightly or wrongly, believe that preparing nasty greentops would screw over cricketing relations between the two.
Well, it's the dumbest view I've ever heard. I can't believe Mark Richardson is peddling it. I'd actually be slightly happy if that view turned out to be true - it means they actually care somewhat (:laugh:). Not true though.

Flem274*

123/5
Not when deciding tours, they don't. They'd tour Iraq in the middle of the Battle of Fallujah if there was money.

Well, it's the dumbest view I've ever heard.
Not saying I completely agree with it (though its not out of the realms of possibility, stranger things have happened) but yes, I would mostly agree, the main example of that view was an article richardson wrote about "pleasing the boss", think its on cricinfo.

EDIT: He basically says we need to avoid green seamers and not get creamed and just lose respectably, some crap along those lines.

If this is a draw though, there will probably be a change of opinion with calls for a greentop.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm not saying you agree with it, but I think those who do agree with it need to understand a little bit on how the BCCI works. They wouldn't censure their own groundsmen for creating such wickets, for fear of losing out on a vote at the next election. BCCI don't think in the terms Mark Richardson says.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has Napier been a road like this all summer long or did it suddenly become one for this Test?