• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

dermo

International Vice-Captain
I'm just worried it'll affect TPC's batting, tbh.
i understand where your coming from but i've seen the line "he's in such good form atm dont want to ruin it" thrown around a bit as a reason why smith shouldnt be captain, it's pretty ridiculous really, is it a good time to give him the captaincy when he's horribly out of form?

i think theyre accepting there's every chance clarke wont make it back and haddin probably isn't a lock for the ashes just yet and you wouldnt want smith's first series as skipper to be the first ashes test

its probably not the ideal time for smith to take over but it could definitely be worse

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Australia are 1-0 in the series and about to play a test at the Gabba in a match they're huge favourites for. You probably won't get many better chances to give him a pressure off winning start as skipper. In that respect it's definitely better to give him it now than find out in May Clarke's test career is over and have the first Ashes test Smitteh's captaincy debut.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His batting stayed pretty effective when he's been captaining NSW, obviously it's a step up when your captaining your national side but given the form he's in and the state of the series and opposition there's no better time to give him a go.

adub

International Captain
Being Captain hasn't hurt TPC's form when playing for NSW. Some blokes struggle under the pressure, some thrive on it. Smitteh looks like a thriver.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
It can take its toll eventually though. Cook got 6 tons in his first 7 tests as captain. None in his last 17. Strauss was similar.

Of course there are probably other factors in such trends, but it's still interesting.

howardj

International Coach
the security crackdown at the already crackdowned gabba will be huge in light of the lindt cafe siege

i fear all banners could be banned

serious

they are so OTT at fortress gabba

Riggins

International Captain
Don't think it's unreasonable to suggest they wont both make a hundred every time they bat for the rest of their careers.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A sign that Clarke has played his last Test?
You wonder whether he was planning on going after the WC from all forms and the injury means he may well be gone, hope not as he is such a good player but with all the injuries and everything else it would be no surprise if he said enough was enough.

Be fascinating to see how Smith goes as captain.