• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulation to Indian umpire s. RAVI
who is selected for upcoming 2015 world cup
Keep it up good job ravi
Isn't he rubbish?

Edit: Actually he did give Dhoni out on 99 in Nagpur two years ago. That was definitely one of the best cricketing moments of all time.

howardj

International Coach
A sign that Clarke has played his last Test?
I don't think so.

Could not have made such a diagnosis only two days after the injury

And I doubt Clarke would chuck his whole career away so soon after the injury without attempting surgery/rehab, especially while he is still batting very well

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's more a sign that it's not short-term, stop gap
Well yeah, and that's why it's a sign Clarke may have played his last Test.

If Clarke comes back then it is short-term and stop-gap, regardless of who they picked to do it in that time.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I think the decision is more about the uncertainty of the future of Clarke rather than any certainty that he has played his last test. He could very well be back as early as the West Indies tour, but, if he's not, then throwing Smith into the captaincy deep end on an overseas tour with doubts about Haddin, Harris, Rogers wouldn't have been a great outcome.

Antihippy

International Debutant
It's a stop gap only if we assume that this will be the only time Steve Smith will captain. Seems more likely that they're taking this chance to really see his captaincy credentials.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's a stop gap only if we assume that this will be the only time Steve Smith will captain. Seems more likely that they're taking this chance to really see his captaincy credentials.
This and there is a chance it could be an extended run that may be stretching the definition of short term

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Marsh is 31. I didn't realize that till I read the CA release. Makes his selection even worse. Give someone who hasn't wasted their career a go.

JBMAC

State Captain
BREAKING NEWS

You've got a huge job to do, young man !!

Cricket Australia (CA) has announced that Steven Smith has been appointed vice-captain of the Australian Test team effective immediately and will captain the Australian side in the absence of Michael Clarke.
Clarke is expected to miss the remainder of the Commonwealth Bank Test Series against India due to an injured right hamstring.

Current vice-captain Brad Haddin who led the Australian side on the final day of the Adelaide Test will serve as Smith’s deputy in Brisbane.

The appointment was recommended by CA’s National Selection Panel and was endorsed by CA’s Board of Directors last night.

When Clarke returns to the side he will do so as captain with Smith serving as deputy.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Literally the greatest moment in the history of cricket in Australia. I am actually alive to witness this.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
He has also indicated he would relish the opportunity to bat further up the order and – given the batting order is a captain's prerogative – he now has the chance to forge a path as the long-term number three batsman Australia has craved since Clarke's captaincy predecessor, Ricky Ponting, retired.
I don't want him to move up to 3 and mess with the great thing he's got going now, it's too much of a jump. Put Smarsh at 3 and I don't mind moving Smith down to 4.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great news. Though like others I think it's probably a sign that Clarke's future is in doubt.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If clarkeh has ripped his hamstring off the bone - which I think they'd be able to know by now - than yeah Clarke is out for ages.

Still don't really think the decision is sensible though. Why couldn't their big decision be dropping watson or Marsh ffs

Antihippy

International Debutant
The way they phrased it make it sound like Clarke is still a chance to continue so it can't be something that will put him out permanently.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
The way they phrased it make it sound like Clarke is still a chance to continue so it can't be something that will put him out permanently.
Well of course they wouldn't phrase it as if Clarke is done forever if he has the personal will and desire to try and get back. The reality of the situation of his hamstring the public can't really assess right now.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I get the feeling that it's not so much CA calling time on Clarke's career for him, but more along the lines of them having no faith that he's going to be fit enough after this run of injuries to play every game. Giving it to Haddin suggests they still see Clarke as a full-time captain who will play every game once he overcomes this. The appointment of Smith, IMO, implies that they're aware that Clarke will probably continue to break a lot, and that they're accepting that he's probably not going to be around for that much longer.

I'm just worried it'll affect TPC's batting, tbh.