• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Shri

Mr. Glass
I just disagree. The uselessness of the cover drive in seaming or swinging conditions is one of my favourite rants. There's a double standard; it's almost unanimously agreed that when the ball is swinging or seaming, the right thing for the bowler to do is to pitch it up and "get the batsman driving away from his body". At least three and usually four or more fielders are placed behind square on the off side for exactly that shot. Because everyone knows that's how you get a bagful of wickets. Why doesn't the message get through to the batsmen?

I don't necessarily mean they need to play less positively in general, just that this specific shot needs to go. When there's lateral movement, the runs to dismissals ratio for the cover drive is horrific. It's just a get-out shot.
Yeah, Indian batsmen playing horizontal bat shot outside the off stump fills me with dread at the best of times. Makes me flip out when they do it when there is swing around.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just disagree. The uselessness of the cover drive in seaming or swinging conditions is one of my favourite rants. There's a double standard; it's almost unanimously agreed that when the ball is swinging or seaming, the right thing for the bowler to do is to pitch it up and "get the batsman driving away from his body". At least three and usually four or more fielders are placed behind square on the off side for exactly that shot. Because everyone knows that's how you get a bagful of wickets. Why doesn't the message get through to the batsmen?

I don't necessarily mean they need to play less positively in general, just that this specific shot needs to go. When there's lateral movement, the runs to dismissals ratio for the cover drive is horrific. It's just a get-out shot.
It also gets fielders away from said slips if you play it well, even in seaming conditions. Just arbitrarily putting in the cupboard is pointless because what's the captain going to do? Put another **** there until you cop a ball you really can't leave and have a dash at.

Not to mention, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the deck today. The cover drive is absolutely on most of the time.

Last edited: