• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Shri

Mr. Glass
Everyone were saying the Indian bowlers won't be able to take 20 wickets to win a test in this tour before it began. Looks like we rather won't be able to score 200 to win a game. Complete turn around. And Ashwin should bat at 7 and Dhoni should just play as a slogger/WK/captain at 8.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well have been away from a computer until today - just during the break wanted to give some thoughts.

Hilfenhorse has definitely improved. He was bowling some excellent leg cutters when I was watching and mixing it up with some straight ones. Much more variety now.

Yadav - seems to have a very nice action. IF he can develop accuracy to go with it he could turn into a very good bowler.

Dissapointing game for Kohli. IF India doesn't have a 6th batsman may be better off playing another bowler just to take the strain off Zaheer.

Ruckus

International Captain
Pretty impressive results from Pattinson so far in his short test career, especially given that, imo, he isn't even bowling close to his potential.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Showing the highlights of the 2008 SCG test. What a great match that was. One of the finest victories in test history.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I thought I would be much more pissed off by something like this. Have actually been enjoying Pattinson's bowling. Seeing Philander/Broad/Anderson/Kumar etc during this year has really made me appreciate fast bowling of any kind without national bias I think. Great cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Fun fact for India fans: they've just showed a pitch map of this innings and 50% of the deliveries to right handers have been short. Australia can bowl better than this.
Yeah, a little. But it's also a big reason why they've gotten nicks off full balls. The more that you are coming forward, the better that you'll get at it. If you can bowl short of a length and not be leaking runs, then when you do go full you are more likely to get wickets.

It's a theme that Australia is trying to move away from, but it's probably something that you need to do on a deck like this, rather than at the Gabba or Hobart this year where there was plenty of help for the bowlers.

Uppercut

See my edit above, it wasn't that dangerous a shot, especially for Sachin who usually plays it so well. Shelving the cover drive because the team's in a bit of bother, especially on such a good deck is pointless. He copped a good bit of bowling and didn't quite nail the shot, bad luck.
I just disagree. The uselessness of the cover drive in seaming or swinging conditions is one of my favourite rants. There's a double standard; it's almost unanimously agreed that when the ball is swinging or seaming, the right thing for the bowler to do is to pitch it up and "get the batsman driving away from his body". At least three and usually four or more fielders are placed behind square on the off side for exactly that shot. Because everyone knows that's how you get a bagful of wickets. Why doesn't the message get through to the batsmen?

I don't necessarily mean they need to play less positively in general, just that this specific shot needs to go. When there's lateral movement, the runs to dismissals ratio for the cover drive is horrific. It's just a get-out shot.

Burgey

Showing the highlights of the 2008 SCG test. What a great match that was. One of the finest victories in test history.
Bloody oath. To see Ponting opt for Clarke late in the day as a part timer was inspired captaincy. I think he thought it was Mick's day after he took that great catch to get rid of Sour**** Ganguly.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bloody oath. To see Ponting opt for Clarke late in the day as a part timer was inspired captaincy. I think he thought it was Mick's day after he took that great catch to get rid of Sour**** Ganguly.
Clarke was asking for a bowl all day IIRC. Was the mother of all Hail Marys - and only Clarke could make it work when bowling.