• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't understand why anyone is calling for Mo to be dropped. Sure his batting is not what it was, but he bowled really well at Headingley on a pitch offering nothing to the spinners and took two vital wickets. Contrast with Murphy who clearly didn't have the confidence of his captain and immediately bowled a front foot no-ball when he was eventually brought on.

I'd argue you could bring in Dawson as well as Mo if the OT pitch looks like a raging Bunsen, but it would be madness to leave Mo out.
Bowled alright and got two fluke wickets. Scored **** all runs. Would hardly be madness to drop him.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Biggest surprise in the England squad is the inclusion of Robinson. He's obviously not fit, why keep him in the squad?

Disappointed regarding Foakes like most on here. But I think we expected it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Katich and Watson can both forge successful careers as openers for Australia despite being natural middle order players then I don't see why Marnus couldn't
I like the Marnus as opener idea (I think I even brought it up?) but tbf both did it when there wasn't another spot for them, so we weren't exactly risking more than blooding any other player if it didn't work out. If Marnus to opener doesn't work then we not only have a **** opener but we lose our existing good #3.

Spark

Global Moderator
I like the Marnus as opener idea (I think I even brought it up?) but tbf both did it when there wasn't another spot for them, so we weren't exactly risking more than blooding any other player if it didn't work out. If Marnus to opener doesn't work then we not only have a **** opener but we lose our existing good #3.
Yeah the actual Watson as opener equivalent would be Green as per the discussion a few days back.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We have one of the greatest players in history at 4

I’m sure he’ll be fine at 3

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
RE Root, people keep saying he should just be told to bat at 3 but…

According to Alastair Cook (credibility of source potentially shattered by haircutgate) Root would bat 3 no bother if Stokes asked. Stokes doesn’t want him to because he averages 52 at 4 and 39 at 3.

Granted batting at 4 for us has basically been opening for a lot of his career but I do think if you can bat people where they perform best then you should. Root 4, Brook 5 etc. Oz had this was Clarke over the years didn’t they (albeit 4 and 5)

Kraken

State Captain
RE Root, people keep saying he should just be told to bat at 3 but…

According to Alastair Cook (credibility of source potentially shattered by haircutgate) Root would bat 3 no bother if Stokes asked. Stokes doesn’t want him to because he averages 52 at 4 and 39 at 3.

Granted batting at 4 for us has basically been opening for a lot of his career but I do think if you can bat people where they perform best then you should. Root 4, Brook 5 etc. Oz had this was Clarke over the years didn’t they (albeit 4 and 5)
yeah, you make a fair point. I think it’s fair enough to let players bat where they clearly feel more comfortable, but it obviously becomes harder to justify if the team isn’t winning. I mean there’s a reason Brook went to 3 in the first place - you lot were 2-0. Doesn’t happen at 1-1 imo

Cubiscus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Don't understand why anyone is calling for Mo to be dropped.
I think he shouldn't have been recalled (he doesn't add much with bat or ball to justify a place) but there's no point in dropping him now.

Foakes not being in is genuinely outrageous. It must be some personal issue at this point.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I think he shouldn't have been recalled (he doesn't add much with bat or ball to justify a place) but there's no point in dropping him now.

Foakes not being in is genuinely outrageous. It must be some personal issue at this point.
He's getting a hundred batting at 3 I can feel it, just as a complete troll.

BigBeefy

Cricket Spectator
What pitch can we expect in Manchester? If I recall in the 2000s before they revamped the ground, it was a paceman paradise wasn’t it? Fast and great bounce. Think I remember Harmison getting a hatful v Pakistan around 2007?

The 2013 ashes it seems a much more one paced wicket if I remember- any idea what we should expect this time around?