• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

ripper868

International Coach
Oh I’m still in Athens mate. We’re picking up a cruise tomorrow so we had no choice other than to have one of us go back for it. She’s got gold FF status so gets the baggage allowance big enough to bring them back.

Will be claiming the cost of her flights from BA though, given it was their **** up which led to all this. And for the cancelled tour to Sounion we were meant to be going on this evening for sunset.
What ever shall you do all alone in Greece for a day? :beer:

Nightmare to have to deal with the bags like that, big kudos mrs burge taking it on. Best wishes to the BA staff indeed!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What ever shall you do all alone in Greece for a day? :beer:

Nightmare to have to deal with the bags like that, big kudos mrs burge taking it on. Best wishes to the BA staff indeed!
Mrs Burgey was always going to take it on tbh. She’s the sort of person who will stress less doing a london and back trip in 10 hours than she would have sitting here waiting and hoping BA would get them on a flight. Pain in the arse though, ruined this little leg of our trip, but at least gives us an excuse to come back.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Puddles of water beginning to form on the outfield with more rain around the corner, things
are only going to worse.

Home team declaring too early in Birmingham and declaring too late in Manchester,

Well anyway
West indies over night 229/5

new ball taken
Now 255/9*
Siraj 4 for 60

India A need 353 to beat Pakistan A in final

Spark

Global Moderator
I really don’t see how you can say a declaration makes this one okay. We likely have to chase in that case and still need more time.
You might but the most difficult and important task was always going to be taking ten wickets. 30 overs was more than anyone was expecting yesterday, so it didn't seem to me like you'd given yourselves enough time to bowl us out.

Having said that, for Aus to see out 70 overs with some margin is a good achievement. I honestly expected a rapid folding after the pounding we got in the field, and thought it would be a very close run thing if we did end up holding out til the rain came.

hazsa19

International Regular
It's a real shame for the wider game that we won't get a series decider at the Oval.

These series, were you get 2 such evenly balanced teams don’t happen very often.

Often in test cricket, the result of individual tests and series is pretty predictable. If can often be 4 or 5 days to reach the inevitable conclusion.

But this series wasn't like that and it could be another 20 years before we see another Ashes one so hotly contested.
There were reports of putting the Oval test on free to air too. Doubt that’ll happen now.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Puddles of water beginning to form on the outfield with more rain around the corner, things
are only going to worse.

Home team declaring too early in Birmingham and declaring too late in Manchester,

Well anyway
West indies over night 229/5

new ball taken
Now 244/8,*

Ind A need 353 to beat Pakistan A in final
TBF looking at the radar it does seem like the rain is clearing over Northern Wales. Not sure if the rain stops at 3pm but if the current radar patterns persist it might not completely be curtains?

I think an hour to mop up is too generous though. Seems a lot of rain has fallen so you'd probably need two.

Still seems very unlikely we'll get back on.
Why they need 2 hours to dry out when they have latest Equipment?

So you Assumes it could stops by next 30 or 37 minutes, right?

My sister in Uk she told me test matches not continued in England after 7 pm

is it true?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think there needs to be more flexibility in the playing conditions to allow start and finishing times to alter due to the weather.

Other sports do it - in golf if there's bad weather around they move the tee times so that the tournament can be finished.

The match referee should be able to move start and finishing times. On Friday, the players came off in perfect conditions when there was still over 10 overs to go - no other sport would do that.

Nowhere near enough is done to get the players on the pitch for the maximum time possible in test matches.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Frustrating, but kind of serves us right for throwing away the first two. You have to take your chances when they come along. Ah well.

Gob

International Coach
I think there needs to be more flexibility in the playing conditions to allow start and finishing times to alter due to the weather.

Other sports do it - in golf if there's bad weather around they move the tee times so that the tournament can be finished.

The match referee should be able to move start and finishing times. On Friday, the players came off in perfect conditions when there was still over 10 overs to go - no other sport would do that.

Nowhere near enough is done to get the players on the pitch for the maximum time possible in test matches.
How many other sports let players play for 6 to 7 hours per day though? Especially fastbowlers?

They are not machines

Gob

International Coach
Frustrating, but kind of serves us right for throwing away the first two. You have to take your chances when they come along. Ah well.
How is the second test a throw away?

They were close tests for sure but they weren't Headingley 2019 close. Australia played better cricket and won

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How many other sports let players play for 6 to 7 hours per day though? Especially fastbowlers?

They are not machines
But the theory is they should be bowling those overs anyway, whether in 6 or 7 hours etc.

loterry1994

International Debutant
The first test England should have definitely won to need two more wickets with like 60 runs to get you win that 90% of the time. The 2nd test should have never gotten that close, Starc and Smith dropped sitters off Stokes then he played a blinder. Aus should of won by like 100 runs that test

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Australia have been the marginally better side overall and a lot of the problems England had were self inflicted. But still, feel a little bad for England. They have taken it to ridiculous levels sometimes but they are definitely the most watchable side in the world at the moment. And the series has been good enough to deserve a proper decider with the sides going in 2-2 for the last test.

Spark

Global Moderator
I can see the case for make up time but surely yesterday is proof enough that even the most ironclad forecast can't be minute-perfect and you can't be pre-emptively adding overs.