• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That's quite well put. Even if Rooney is world class when he's given a target man (which I'd dispute), Drogba still trumps him because he's world class no matter what.
Jeez, you're a hard man to please. He scored more goals in qualifying than anyone else in Europe. Since he's got a manager who knows how to bring out the best in him he's been a revelation.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Jeez, you're a hard man to please. He scored more goals in qualifying than anyone else in Europe. Since he's got a manager who knows how to bring out the best in him he's been a revelation.
Would suggest that the quality of the opposition hasn't exactly been of the highest calibre tbh.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Rooney works his way into useful but not massively threatening positions in between the midfield and defence. Ferguson used to hate players like Rooney- he famously rebuked his scouts for constantly bringing him players who could play "in the hole" with the line, "why don't you go find me a ****ing Shearer!" Rooney's better at what he does than most, but he doesn't bring half to United what Torres or Drogba bring to their teams.
What do they bring to their teams that Rooney doesn't to United?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would suggest that the quality of the opposition hasn't exactly been of the highest calibre tbh.
Could say the same about every other stiker too, tbf; all groups have a couple of poo teams. & we did have two other teams who'd qualified for the last WC in our pool.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ye thats probably why. But the 4-5-1 certainly played like a 4-3-3.
He, rather than just pack the midfield the wide men were given the opportunity to really get forwards. So 4-5-1 in defense and then 4-3-3 in attack.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What do they bring to their teams that Rooney doesn't to United?
Torres brings shedloads more goals for a start. 60 goals in 96 games for Liverpool. Rooney's record since Torres's arrival stands at 46 in 105.

I've already explained the value of Drogba. Read back.

Uppercut

He's no David Healy tbh.

I don't think placing him below Drogba and Torres is doing him a disservice. Those are quite possibly the two best strikers in the world. I'm not saying he's crap, just that those two incredibly good players are better than him.

duffer

Haha, dubious start to any sentence tbh.
Heh.

EDIT: FWIW, Watching us play I definitely see a 4-3-3 as I don't see the seperation between Song and the midfield that TA6 was talking about. In fact isolating a guy like Song would be ridiculously dangerous considering how average his passing game is. I think our formation is more fluid than a traditional 4-3-3 but when we attack especially close to the box we definitely have three strikers making runs and 3 midfielders supporting them with the fullbacks overlapping.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
England squad

Ahhhh man Capello i dont like this squad, this looks like a squad McLaren would pick. If there one criticism i can give him his little obession with players playing 90 minutes every game is a bit too extreme.

Where is J Cole?, surely with no Walcott, Lennon & Stevie G, he has has to play againts Brazil. Robinson has been looking solid should have been picked ahead of Hart IMO.

Plus surely Gibbs>>>Warnock urghhh, even Baines i could tolerate.

WTF Jenas doing there. I could only understand Lescott/Cahill being picked ahead of Woodgate - given Woodgate has just come back this season. But otherwise not pleased with this squad at all for this big friendly..

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Chelsea are by far and away the best team though.
DWTA. Chelsea have been **** this season and are top by and large through luck.

In fact IMO the only big four side that have actually looked good at times has been Arsenal, not that that necessarily means they will end up winning the title.

Everyone was saying Chelsea had already won it at this point last year, when they were a lot more impressive in the early stages of the season, albeit with marginally easier games.

Uppercut

In fact IMO the only big four side that have actually looked good at times has been Arsenal, not that that necessarily means they will end up winning the title.
AWTA. From the F365 Mailbox:

"If Chelski and Man Utd are flat-track bullies, then Arsenal is the Hot lady at the Poker table. Everyone's too busy ogling at her to notice that she is cleaning up the table."

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think anyone is overlooking Arsenal - praise for them right now seems to be gushing, and justifiably so. It's merely been pointed out that only three of their eleven games have been against teams in the top half and they lost two of them (the third being against their bitches from North London).

You'd be a fool to think Arsenal aren't in with a real shot this year, but it's fair enough to want to wait until their fixture list has been a bit more challenging.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think anyone is overlooking Arsenal - praise for them right now seems to be gushing, and justifiably so. It's merely been pointed out that only three of their eleven games have been against teams in the top half and they lost two of them (the third being against their bitches from North London).

You'd be a fool to think Arsenal aren't in with a real shot this year, but it's fair enough to want to wait until their fixture list has been a bit more challenging.
Hmm. Bit misleading, IMHO. We've already won at Everton & Fulham (fifth and seventh last year, respectively) who're in 11th and 12th currently but both of whom I'd take to finish above Burnley & Stoke who're in the top half as of now.

duffer

We had a brutal start to the season especially with the CL qualifiers and ave come out very well. Beating the teams you're meant to beat isn't a bad thing either. In fact it's something we've been failing miserably at for the past few seasons, it's what you build title challenges on.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ahhhh man Capello i dont like this squad.
No better endorsement of the squad than that,

Where is J Cole?, surely with no Walcott, Lennon & Stevie G, he has has to play againts Brazil.
Not fit enough yet - assuming he stays injury free he's a certainty to go to the World Cup.

Robinson has been looking solid should have been picked ahead of Hart IMO.
If looking solid includes conceding lots of goals, some of which he shouldn't have let in then yes you have a point.

Plus surely Gibbs>>>Warnock urghhh,
Why exactly? Warnock has been playing well for a long time - Gibbs has barely played and is only in now because of an injury.

WTF Jenas doing there.
Who's missing that should be ahead of him?

I could only understand Lescott/Cahill being picked ahead of Woodgate - given Woodgate has just come back this season.
Could you translate this point into English please - doesn't make sense.