• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
So you haven't picked Utd for second? Or was that not a definite statement?
No, not this season I haven't but in the past when Chelsea were under Mourinho I've said they were favourites but United had a chance as well as Arsenal then IIRC. The picking for 2nd was at the start of the season, nowhere near enough definitive statements can be made then. Comments today though seemed to be giving Chelsea the title already with United and Arsenal still in there.

roseboy64

:laugh: Fair enough about Carrick, and reasonable call about Valencia too. Rooney is so up and down this season it's ridiculous - I thought after his explosive start to the season that this would be a defining campaign for him, stepping out of Ronnie's shadow and all, but he's not been nearly as influential when it matters as he should be.

I think we're so used to Chelsea's defence being outstanding that we take it for granted, but you're right. Forgetting all the other bull****, it says something that despite all our possession in the right part of the field, I never once felt during the match that we really looked like scoring.
Would have helped if people got their shots on target (Fletcher, Carrick) and didn't shoot when passing was the better option (Rooney).

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh: Fair enough about Carrick, and reasonable call about Valencia too. Rooney is so up and down this season it's ridiculous - I thought after his explosive start to the season that this would be a defining campaign for him, stepping out of Ronnie's shadow and all, but he's not been nearly as influential when it matters as he should be.

I think we're so used to Chelsea's defence being outstanding that we take it for granted, but you're right. Forgetting all the other bull****, it says something that despite all our possession in the right part of the field, I never once felt during the match that we really looked like scoring.
I think Rooney's horrendously overrated. On Match of the Day last week Gary Lineker asked his panel which of Drogba, Torres and Rooney they'd have in their team. The question itself is absurd, because Drogba and Torres are several leagues ahead of Rooney as players, but the fact that Shearer's answer was Rooney cost the show the remains of its credibility.

Rooney's a very good player, but he's not world-class. He's a less good striker than someone like the criminally undervalued Robin Van Persie. He's even more overrated than Anderson is underrated.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think Rooney's horrendously overrated. On Match of the Day last week Gary Lineker asked his panel which of Drogba, Torres and Rooney they'd have in their team. The question itself is absurd, because Drogba and Torres are several leagues ahead of Rooney as players, but the fact that Shearer's answer was Rooney cost the show the remains of its credibility.

Rooney's a very good player, but he's not world-class. He's even more overrated than Anderson is underrated.
This.

roseboy64

I think Rooney's horrendously overrated. On Match of the Day last week Gary Lineker asked his panel which of Drogba, Torres and Rooney they'd have in their team. The question itself is absurd, because Drogba and Torres are several leagues ahead of Rooney as players, but the fact that Shearer's answer was Rooney just cost the show its credibility.

Rooney's a very good player, but he's not world-class. He's even more overrated than Anderson is underrated.
Would have to disagree there. Only people who overrate Rooney are idiots. He's a world class footballer. World class striker though? Nah.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rooney's world class. Torres is better, Drogba might be but it's far from cut and dried because they aren't the same type of striker, but he's probably in the top half-dozen strikers in the world, which makes him world class IMHO.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You wouldn't believe how much better we are when Anderson plays. Actually, if you watched us against Liverpool and again today, you probably would believe it.
Yeah, he's better than your alternatives and you play better with him in the side. I'm not saying he's a poor player by any means. I just don't think he's all that great.

roseboy64

Missing Chavvie's goals from midfield badly, venturing into the realm of the bleedin' obvious as I am. Leading goalscorer from midfield this year is Fletcher with two.
Thought you were talking about Chelsea with the use of Chav there sorry. Yeah there's a lack of goals but new system and all.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rooney's world class. Torres is better, Drogba might be but it's far from cut and dried because they aren't the same type of striker, but he's probably in the top half-dozen strikers in the world, which makes him world class IMHO.
He's a brilliant striker but I agree with Uppercut that putting him in the same league as Torres and Drogba is either overrating Rooney or seriously underrating the aforementioned pair. There's a not inconsiderable difference between Rooney and the other two imho.