• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Missing Chavvie's goals from midfield badly, venturing into the realm of the bleedin' obvious as I am. Leading goalscorer from midfield this year is Fletcher with two.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If I was a betting man, I'd punt on the following

1-Chelsea
2-Arsenal
3-Man U
4-Liverpool

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah and yeah.

No need for everyone's fave canadian-german cripple, Anderson and Fletcher are doing a perfectly good job in that type of position, but yeah they lack creativity in midfield. All that possession and yet no clear cut chances really.
Yeah. The funny thing is that despite it being such a good performance, very few of our players had a good game. Giggs and Rooney were shocking, Valencia underwhelming, Carrick anonymous. Anderson was incredible and Fletcher was great too, and they carried the entire team today.

We were horrendously unlucky with the goal, but we'll pick up plenty of undeserved points this season too. Still, when they take home a match after playing like that, it seriously adds to the feeling that this is Chelsea's year.

What this match does demonstrate is how epic a boob Fergie playing Scholes and Carrick in midfield against Liverpool was.

Uppercut

Chelsea are by far and away the best team though.
They weren't today. Really don't think there's much in it, I'd say they're marginally the best team. They're in the almost unique position of having literally everyone fit, so it'll be interesting to see how they go later in the season. Especially when some key players head off to the African Cup of Nations.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Still November and people already declaring the title. :laugh: Wait until after Christmas please. You lot had Liverpool and Chelsea running away with it by this time last season as well.
You have Man Utd running away with it every year tbh.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah. The funny thing is that despite it being such a good performance, very few of our players had a good game. Giggs and Rooney were shocking, Valencia underwhelming, Carrick anonymous. Anderson was incredible and Fletcher was great too, and they carried the entire team today.
Giggsy's positional play was wonderful as always, but his distribution and final ball were abysmal - he overhit or misjudged everything. I thought Valencia did pretty well, nothing particularly dangerous in attack but he worked hard and nullified Cashley's threat - I reckon Ash had a tougher match against Antonio today than he ever did against Ronaldo.

Anderson was the one I really felt for - he was excellent yet again today and then got hauled off while Carrick was allowed to stay on and redefine the word ineffectual.

What this match does demonstrate is how epic a boob Fergie playing Scholes and Carrick in midfield against Liverpool was.
One of his worst calls for years TBH.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
So this remark you made a short time earlier was incredibly stupid then.
Don't see how? People always make judgements at the start of the season and then as the season progresses figure out who'll be challenging. Giving a team the title now is different from thinking they're favourites. Don't recall me ever saying a team's locked on to win it this early. Any definite statements are made second half. Explained well enough?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Don't see how? People always make judgements at the start of the season and then as the season progresses figure out who'll be challenging. Giving a team the title now is different from thinking they're favourites. Don't recall me ever saying a team's locked on to win it this early. Any definite statements are made second half. Explained well enough?
So you haven't picked Utd for second? Or was that not a definite statement?

Uppercut

Giggsy's positional play was wonderful as always, but his distribution and final ball were abysmal - he overhit or misjudged everything. I thought Valencia did pretty well, nothing particularly dangerous in attack but he worked hard and nullified Cashley's threat - I reckon Ash had a tougher match against Antonio today than he ever did against Ronaldo.

Anderson was the one I really felt for - he was excellent yet again today and then got hauled off while Carrick was allowed to stay on and redefine the word ineffectual.
He was visibly tiring in the second half though, whereas Carrick was still fully fit as he'd done SFA all game.

The worrying thing about Giggs today was his decision-making in the final third. He always chose the wrong option, which is rather unusual for him. Valencia did well defensively, but when you're picked as the wide man in a five-man midfield it's going forward where you should really be making an impact.

Rooney was the biggest let-down though. Apart from one decent shot which Cech saved he was useless. Could have been different had he not been called wrongly offside when clean through in the opening ten minutes, but there you go. You get the feeling that had just one of our front three been on their game we could have won pretty comfortably.

I'm not really giving the Chelsea defence enough credit though, particularly considering how the rest of the team left them to do the job. Terry was absolutely immense.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
He was visibly tiring in the second half though, whereas Carrick was still fully fit as he'd done SFA all game.

The worrying thing about Giggs today was his decision-making in the final third. He always chose the wrong option, which is rather unusual for him. Valencia did well defensively, but when you're picked as the wide man in a five-man midfield it's going forward where you should really be making an impact.

Rooney was the biggest let-down though. Apart from one decent shot which Cech saved he was useless. Could have been different had he not been called wrongly offside when clean through in the opening ten minutes, but there you go. You get the feeling that had just one of our front three been on their game we could have won pretty comfortably.

I'm not really giving the Chelsea defence enough credit though, particularly considering how the rest of the team left them to do the job. Terry was absolutely immense.
:laugh: Fair enough about Carrick, and reasonable call about Valencia too. Rooney is so up and down this season it's ridiculous - I thought after his explosive start to the season that this would be a defining campaign for him, stepping out of Ronnie's shadow and all, but he's not been nearly as influential when it matters as he should be.

I think we're so used to Chelsea's defence being outstanding that we take it for granted, but you're right. Forgetting all the other bull****, it says something that despite all our possession in the right part of the field, I never once felt during the match that we really looked like scoring.