• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Just seen the Ronaldo 'tackle' was definitely a red card, wasn't two footed but the way he leapt in to the challenge with his foot was dangerous.
It was a pretty big lunge granted, but I thought it wasn't worthy of anything more than a yellow.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tom Halsey said:
It was a pretty big lunge granted, but I thought it wasn't worthy of anything more than a yellow.
You set a very dangerous precedent if you allow people to 'tackle' like that and stay on the pitch. To jump into a tackle and have all your momentum going at an angle downwards is a recipe for broken legs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
what the hell are Man U doing, this stupid defeat now really puts a dent in our SLIM title hopes, geez this has been a frustrating season.
You had no title hopes even before the season started.

It'll be enough to even win the Carling Cup this year.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Contact or intent?

All reports I've heard suggest there was intent - unfortunately I missed it on MOTD tonight though.
No contact, definite intent. If he'd connected it could have broken the guy's leg.

PY

International Coach
I agree with what SP said I reckon, it'd set a dangerous precedent if you allowed things like that not to go unpunished.

The challenge itself if you freeze framed the contact wasn't bad IMO, in fact it looked innocuous. The main problem was the initial lunge & high foot which was then dropped at the last moment but looked horrific and showed possible intent.

I can see both sides of the argument from both sides (something I think people could do with doing sometimes when it comes to Man Utd) but today there were much worse challenges in the Blackburn-Bolton game that didn't get sendings off and have seen less things get sendings off today like the straight red in the Arsenal game was a joke. It's one of those decisions that depends on the mood of the ref and the game.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Therefore the Red Card was correct, end of story.

3 match ban at least one would hope.
And you definitely can't say that when you haven't even seen it Marc! Your complete distaste for anything United is bordering on ridiculous!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
You set a very dangerous precedent if you allow people to 'tackle' like that and stay on the pitch. To jump into a tackle and have all your momentum going at an angle downwards is a recipe for broken legs.
Just watched a re-run of Blackburn v Notlob - there were a good 3 or 4 far worse.

OK, make that marginally worse.

And Savage.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
And you definitely can't say that when you haven't even seen it Marc! Your complete distaste for anything United is bordering on ridiculous!
Ridiculous - but almost rationable.

Not like me and Leeds - that hate goes back 35 years or more, and stems purely from a rivalry between the managers - coupled with the fact that Billy Bremner was probably the most loathsome individual to walk on this planet - note I've watered that down a lot because I don't like speaking ill of the dead.

Now me and Nothingham Florists - that's perfectly all too understandable, them being Satan's team.

Edit : rationable, for those of you far more illiteratter than what I is (and Kiwis), means 'both rational and understandable'

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Therefore the Red Card was correct, end of story.

3 match ban at least one would hope.
How anyone can say that when they haven't even seen it is, as Pete said, bordering on ridiculous.

I agree there was definitely a pretty big lunge, but IMO there was no intent or contact.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watched MotD. Big high lunge with studs up and nowhere near the ball. Perfectly rationable red card.

As for Blackburn-Bolton? That was just getting stuck in rather than bad tackles. Great to see Blackburn getting their own medicine for once!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Just watched MotD. Big high lunge with studs up and nowhere near the ball. Perfectly rationable red card.

As for Blackburn-Bolton? That was just getting stuck in rather than bad tackles. Great to see Blackburn getting their own medicine for once!
How are bad tackles seen as 'getting stuck in', and then as soon as a UNited player makes a bad tackle it's a definate red card? Make your mind up.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two different kinds of bad. Bad in terms of over-committed and bad in terms of being downright dirty.

None of the Blackburn and Bolton tackles I saw took place with studs pointing skywards.

PY

International Coach
You're having a laugh? Some of the challenges on Savage were a disgrace! Not that I'm complaining by the way. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
I was referring to the comment from Barney of definite intent.

PY

International Coach
They didn't show the 2nd yellow card, the TV just showed a straight red without the 2nd yellow?

Letter of the law it was a booking, and he should have been off for his second caution but I'm not sure it was a second booking. It says it was on BBC but I didn't see it on the highlights.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
They didn't show the 2nd yellow card, the TV just showed a straight red without the 2nd yellow?
Are you sure, because I actually caught that game and clearly showed the incident - pretty sure they showed him showing the yellow than red, but it was certainly reported at the time as a 2nd yellow.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Two different kinds of bad. Bad in terms of over-committed and bad in terms of being downright dirty.

None of the Blackburn and Bolton tackles I saw took place with studs pointing skywards.
An 'over the ball' stamp and what looked like a deliberate rake down the shin.

As far as tackles on Savage go though, they're fair game because the guy's a thug.

Reviewed the Ronaldo one - different camera angle makes it look 'a bit naughty'.

Last edited: