• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

Craig

World Traveller
Scaly piscine said:
I most certainly do slag the vegetable off on ability - a good manager would have done far more with England in Euro 2004.
Well he did win Lo Scudetto at N(L)azio which he wouldn't have done if he was so useless or even lasted as long. Go and have a look at the amount of managers they have had since Roberto Mancini left them to become manager of Inter? Seriously I have lost count.

Craig

World Traveller
If the Deco-Lampard swap rumours are true and it actually happens, I am willing to wager Deco won't last in England. If you want to look up the word 'soft diver who goes MIA' you find his name with his picture in there. IMO I haven't seen anybody go to ground quicker then him.

He could always try out for Portugal's (or Brazil's) diving team at the next FINA Championships...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's strange how Eriksson's record as England manager is better than most, but some people still can't see past his nationality.

Craig

World Traveller
But if England don't do very well in Germany and don't get past the QF stage then any stick he gets would be justified.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
It's strange how Eriksson's record as England manager is better than most, but some people still can't see past his nationality.
My problem with him was originally that although we won games, we never played as good quality football as we should, and we choked in big matches - however, we're now starting to play much better football, we've just beaten Argentina, and we have characters in the team who you would hope won't let us choke when we get to the QF.

Our elimination from Euro 2004 was a tactical one, and from WC 2002 it was a question of bottling it - we now seem to have gotten over the negativity issues we used to have in terms of tactics, so hopefully if we can remain mentally strong we can go a long way.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
But if England don't do very well in Germany and don't get past the QF stage then any stick he gets would be justified.
Which is what England did in both WC 2002 and Euro 2004. He should have resigned after 2004, but we know what a great person he is... so we can't expect him to do what virtually every other failed manager of the big countries on far less money did.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Craig said:
If the Deco-Lampard swap rumours are true and it actually happens, I am willing to wager Deco won't last in England. If you want to look up the word 'soft diver who goes MIA' you find his name with his picture in there. IMO I haven't seen anybody go to ground quicker then him.

He could always try out for Portugal's (or Brazil's) diving team at the next FINA Championships...
That's ridiculous, Mourinho won't let Lampard go anywhere, even if his replacement is Portuguese.

Frank Jr. is younger, and he's by far a better player already than Deco has ever been.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Craig said:
Well he did win Lo Scudetto at N(L)azio which he wouldn't have done if he was so useless or even lasted as long. Go and have a look at the amount of managers they have had since Roberto Mancini left them to become manager of Inter? Seriously I have lost count.
You can't compare the two eras, Sven had the players, and the ketchup money, both of which the managers now don't enjoy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
PY said:
Sums up Arsenal (with or without "") this season really.
Doesn't get better either, if Almunia hadn't have pulled off a decent stop right on the stroke of HT it coulda be 2-0.

We're having loads of possession (as you'd expect I suppose), but no end product. This could be a very embarrassing night. Mind you, I'm old enough to remember York & Wrexham, so I'm no stranger to cup humiliation....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
those were the days
You ran ManUre v close in an FA semi too, didn't you? 94? Sparky Hughes equalised v late on as I recall.

BTW, you never did explain your pop at Viduka a coupla days ago. Just randon Aussie bashing? :D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
You ran ManUre v close in an FA semi too, didn't you? 94? Sparky Hughes equalised v late on as I recall.

BTW, you never did explain your pop at Viduka a coupla days ago. Just randon Aussie bashing? :D
90 and 94 both replays - robbed both times, in 90 in the replay we a shot which hit the bar and bounced down over the line at 1-1 in normal time . They won 2-1 in extra time. In 94 Hughes should have been given his marching orders long before the goal.

Re Mark Viduka, i saw an interview with him on SSN and he just sounded like the dumbest guy ever.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah, Wenger letting some of the young English talent have a go I see...

CDMs
M Almunia, E Eboue, P Senderos, J Djourou, P Cygan, A Hleb, A Song Billong, G Silva, Q Owusu-Abeyie (78 S Larsson) , R Van Persie (33 N Bendtner) , A Lupoli
Subs: M Poom, S Larsson, N Bendtner, K Gilbert, F Muamba

*waits for chief pedant to say that 2? of the subs are English*

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Almunia's having a cracking game for Arsenal, but what was Senderos doing for that second goal. Mind you, I've done that once or twice...