• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hah, an exact baseball delivery and shot on Sky tonight, an exact Sosa replica from Symonds

"Evening Sports Fans, Moss is high and inside and Symonds, thaaats a biggie, aand its outta heeere, catch that in the bleachers"

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Somerset looking comfortable in the extreme here, Wood and Blackwell finding it pretty simple despite Smith's early run out. Blackwell was 12* off 3 balls - lol. :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jason Brown leaving the field after bowling 1 over for Northants, apparently he is having breathing problems after taking a leading edge from Blackwell in the throat - doesn't sound good, hope he's ok.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Bilal Shafayat bowls Blackwell, for 31 off 15 balls. Trust Blackie to get out once they bring on the slow-medium guys.

James Hildreth now goes first ball, two of the most dangerous players in the Somerset team gone after 5 balls of Shafayat's spell, which never would have started without Brown's injury!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Middlesex needing around 70 from 6 overs with Dalrymple and Styris at the crease - time for a Styris special, methinks.

Radio commentators can't seem to understand how Keith Parsons scores any runs - they've been slating his technique for about 5 minutes now, but praising him at the same time. :blink:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
A cracking finish developing in the Northants Steelbacks/Somerset Sabres game - Somerset need 10 off the last 8 balls, Ben Phillips misfields and gives away 4, then a dot ball from Damien Wright to take us into the last over.

6 needed off the last over, Johann Louw to bowl it to Keith Parsons and Carl Gazzard.

Single off the first ball and an lbw appeal, not out obviously.
Parsons inside-edges it to deep square leg for one off the 2nd ball. 4 off 4 needed, Gazzard facing.
Gazzard hits it in the air to long-on for 2, Somerset need 2 off 3.
Gazzard knocks it down to long-off for a single, scores level with 2 balls left.
Somerset scamper a single to the covers off the last ball, and make it to their first Twenty20 Finals Day! Come on the Sabres!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
im telling you now, he run out Symonds pulled off today was fantastic.

IMO Derbyshire lost the game by being afraid to turn to spin, Botha was the 5th bowler introduced and they only used Adnan for 1 over. I think they were afraid of Symonds tbh(not that you wouldn't) but you saw Symonds and Keedy on straight after the 6 overs for Lancs,

Chubb

International Regular
Is it me or do Derbyshire never get any luck? They played really, really well today, and I think that people are unfair to slate their OD team, which seems to be very good indeed on its day. I reckon they have lost to the eventual winners, and not many other sides have pushed Lancs this close in the 20/20 this year.

3 Aussies commentating for Radio Derby today, Charles Collins, the "official" commentator, Bassano and Andy Gray, neither of whom are overseas players but on the staff. Of their actual team today Di Venuto, Moss, Botha, Friend (Don't blame him so much for that), Hassan Adnan and Stubbings are not qualified for England. I think thats at least two too many.

So in effect you have three australians commentating on a team containing 3 other australians, a south african, a pakistani and a Zimbabwean (who you can't really blame). What is going on up there???

Rhetorical question- they don't have much money, no-one supports them unless they are sporting masochists like me, and their home player base is small.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
superkingdave said:
im telling you now, he run out Symonds pulled off today was fantastic.

IMO Derbyshire lost the game by being afraid to turn to spin, Botha was the 5th bowler introduced and they only used Adnan for 1 over. I think they were afraid of Symonds tbh(not that you wouldn't) but you saw Symonds and Keedy on straight after the 6 overs for Lancs,
Agree on Botha but Hassan Adnan isn't really a bowler. They needed the other "spin twin" Andy Gray, who was in the comm box with a dodgy knee. Him and Botha have been a key factor in their LO success this year. They could have tried Jake Needham who is a youngster on the staff who is a SLA I think but he's only played one or two games so far.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Hah, an exact baseball delivery and shot on Sky tonight, an exact Sosa replica from Symonds

"Evening Sports Fans, Moss is high and inside and Symonds, thaaats a biggie, aand its outta heeere, catch that in the bleachers"
You'll be slightly less miserable then now that Somerset's very own pie-guzzling version of Babe Ruth scored 31 off 16 balls and took 3-16 off 4 overs to lead the white sox to a semi final spot in the world series at the oval.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
The four semi-finalists are Surrey, Leicestershire, Lancashire and Somerset. Somerset very much the underdogs in that group, although the likely return of Trescothick (Twenty20 average 56.00 :D ) will strengthen them, as will the return of Flintoff for Lancashire.

However, I'd pick Lancashire as the winners from those four. A top 5 of Loye, Flintoff, Law, Symonds, North is the best in the competition, and with hitters like Chapple, the Crooks and Hogg later on they pose a threat right down the order.

Surrey's experience will stand them in good stead, as will their abundance of spinners and the emergence of Tim Murtagh as a more than useful Twenty20 bowler. Ali Brown is still as dangerous as ever when looking to score quickly.

Somerset's main strength is the flamboyance of their batting, with players such as Smith, Blackwell and Hildreth supplying the bulk of their runs. However, Smith will be leaving before Finals Day, and whoever they replace him with will have to be a top-class batsman. The number of bits-and-pieces players in their side seems to have actually been an advantage this year - the middle and lower orders have been chipping in with useful runs from players such as Durston, Gazzard and John Francis, while Smith has always had many bowling options, including the improving Jamie Hildreth, the reliable Keith Parsons and the bizarrely successful left-arm spinners of Ian Blackwell.

Leicestershire are the Twenty20 experts, with Darren Maddy head and shoulders above most in Twenty20 over its short period of existence, and their bowlers have been very tight this year. However, they lack big-hitting batsmen, which may prove a weak point if their bowlers have an off-day and they find themselves chasing 10/11 an over to win.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
superkingdave said:
apparently now arguing over whether a bowl out is necessary
Where are you getting this from? Cricinfo has nothing, the BBC internet transmissions have finished......I'm just trying Five Live, and I think I've found it - they're chatting about ways of finishing games so I assume that's it. They're going back later to find out what's going on.