• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Miraculous comeback from Durham to beat Kent, such a great comeback I'll even not complain about them letting that mediocre Saffie do so well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Blackwell does his usual hitting job - hopefully the selectors won't be paying any notice to him.
They probably won't, and rightly so, but credit where due. Today's effort must have been one heck of a knock. 134* at a SR of about 200 against one of the better county attacks after his side had been reduced to 88 for 5 deserves a bit of respect, IMHO.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Today's effort must have been one heck of a knock.
It was - I was there. Ten fours, ten MASSIVE sixes, and a boatload of entertainment. Sussex made the mistake of bringing back Mushtaq Ahmed for his last over just after Blackwell struck his fourth six - the next over went 6, 6, 6, 1, 1, 6! We all thought he was on for a Sobers after the third one! Adams put four men on the leg side boundary between long-on and deep forward square leg after the second one, and Blackwell still took them on and cleared them. He then smacked two Kirtley full-tosses over the same fence, one of which was lost in the nearby Churchyard, I think. That was his third lost ball of the day.

Somerset's bowlers (mostly the shocking Gareth Andrew and Michael Parsons) proceeded to throw it away - Matt Prior hit an impressive 77 off 53 balls, Chris Adams stroked 59, and Johannes van der Wath hit 73* off 43 balls to win the match, having been joined by Jason Lewry at 195-8 with 9.4 overs left. They succeeded in scoring the ten an over they needed thanks to him, and thanks to some generous fielding (three chances missed completely and one dropped) they snuck home with a ball to spare.

I know Blackwell's rubbish in international cricket, but if he could just somehow learn to convert that kind of hitting into the ODI arena, imagine Pietersen, Flintoff, Blackwell at 5, 6, 7 for England. A lot of hitting potential there, methinks.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't think I've ever seen a full house totally silent, but you could hear a pin drop as the bowlers were running into Blackwell today.. I don't think Kirtley and Mushtaq are particularly average, and the bat speed and timing from Blackie were absolutely phenomenal.. Consistant hitting, miles out of the ground, that would have been six pretty much everywhere.. I think he must have hit a 70 in his innings off about 20-25 balls..

Wouldn't pick him for England though, and I don't really care thankfully!

Undoutebly the best game of cricket I've seen live, Van der Wath was clinical at the end, even though we fielded like psychos I guess our bowlers werent bowling in the right areas.. I think we were all in a bit of a daze..

And I got a tan..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Good bowling performance by my Lanchashire boys (Yesterday english time).Bowling out a decent Gloucetershire batting line-up for just 86.

Well done :thumbsup:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
I don't think I've ever seen a full house totally silent, but you could hear a pin drop as the bowlers were running into Blackwell today.. I don't think Kirtley and Mushtaq are particularly average, and the bat speed and timing from Blackie were absolutely phenomenal.. Consistant hitting, miles out of the ground, that would have been six pretty much everywhere.. I think he must have hit a 70 in his innings off about 20-25 balls..

Wouldn't pick him for England though, and I don't really care thankfully!

Undoutebly the best game of cricket I've seen live, Van der Wath was clinical at the end, even though we fielded like psychos I guess our bowlers werent bowling in the right areas.. I think we were all in a bit of a daze..

And I got a tan..
Fantastic game, eh Langeveldt! Where were you sitting? I get the feeling cow corner from the Old Pavilion End was the place to be yesterday...... :D

I'm on half term from school this week, and only checked the fixtures and decided to go on Sunday - with retrospect, I'm very glad I did! A stunning game of cricket, twisting and turning all the time. By my reckoning, the "upper hand" must have switched from one team to the other about 7 times.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
It was - I was there. Ten fours, ten MASSIVE sixes, and a boatload of entertainment. Sussex made the mistake of bringing back Mushtaq Ahmed for his last over just after Blackwell struck his fourth six - the next over went 6, 6, 6, 1, 1, 6! We all thought he was on for a Sobers after the third one! Adams put four men on the leg side boundary between long-on and deep forward square leg after the second one, and Blackwell still took them on and cleared them. He then smacked two Kirtley full-tosses over the same fence, one of which was lost in the nearby Churchyard, I think. That was his third lost ball of the day.

Somerset's bowlers (mostly the shocking Gareth Andrew and Michael Parsons) proceeded to throw it away - Matt Prior hit an impressive 77 off 53 balls, Chris Adams stroked 59, and Johannes van der Wath hit 73* off 43 balls to win the match, having been joined by Jason Lewry at 195-8 with 9.4 overs left. They succeeded in scoring the ten an over they needed thanks to him, and thanks to some generous fielding (three chances missed completely and one dropped) they snuck home with a ball to spare.

I know Blackwell's rubbish in international cricket, but if he could just somehow learn to convert that kind of hitting into the ODI arena, imagine Pietersen, Flintoff, Blackwell at 5, 6, 7 for England. A lot of hitting potential there, methinks.
Four years ago, when IIRC he averaged over 50 in the CC, I thought Blackwell was one to watch. Subsequently, I'm of the view that he seems to like the comfort zone of batting at 6 or 7, when he really should take on the responsibility of batting in the top 5 for his county. He's a talented lad but my impression, albeit from a distance, is he's happy being a big fish in a small pond. It's a shame, because he has a lot to offer. When he played for England the VB series a couple of years ago, his bowling was perfectly respectable. Maybe there's still time for him.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Four years ago, when IIRC he averaged over 50 in the CC, I thought Blackwell was one to watch. Subsequently, I'm of the view that he seems to like the comfort zone of batting at 6 or 7, when he really should take on the responsibility of batting in the top 5 for his county. He's a talented lad but my impression, albeit from a distance, is he's happy being a big fish in a small pond. It's a shame, because he has a lot to offer. When he played for England the VB series a couple of years ago, his bowling was perfectly respectable. Maybe there's still time for him.
Good point about his lack of ambition - he certainly seems to be a more talented batsman than Aaron Laraman (who batted two places above him at 5 yesterday, and got a golden duck), and probably John Francis, Keith Parsons and Michael Burns as well. There's a case to be made for him as Somerset's most talented English player - the only competition is Jamie Hildreth in the batting department, and most of their bowlers are either injured or rubbish most of the time. He obviously doesn't match Jayasuriya or the incoming Smith, but there certainly seems to be no reason other than his own lack of willingness to step up a level as to why he isn't batting 4 or 5.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
Fantastic game, eh Langeveldt! Where were you sitting? I get the feeling cow corner from the Old Pavilion End was the place to be yesterday...... :D
Im a photographer, so you probably saw me and my stuff without realizing it.. I was sat next to the stewardess 8-) in front of the shop, and then I was standing with my camera + tripod in the concrete area at deep mid wicket when mushy was bowling.. Next to the brewhouse carpark..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Im a photographer, so you probably saw me and my stuff without realizing it.. I was sat next to the stewardess 8-) in front of the shop, and then I was standing with my camera + tripod in the concrete area at deep mid wicket when mushy was bowling.. Next to the brewhouse carpark..
Is the shop the little building that Blackie hit two or three times? Don't get the chance to go to Taunton often, and when I do I usually sit in the covered stand at third man to the right hander when facing at the Pavilion End - the stand next to the Ian Botham Stand. Mushy fielded there in the first twenty overs or so, got a big cheer from us lot.

You must have been right underneath some of Blackie's sixes into the car park, then, if you were standing at deep mid-wicket? Get any good photos of the ball soaring over your head? :D