• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Scott Newman just made a double century for Surrey against Glamorgan - while Mark Ramprakash is bowled three short of a ton.

Newman was in the A squad in Sri Lanka, wasn't he? Talented?
Yes, but the jury's still out as to how good he actually is. Last season was his first as a regular: he started well, but faded pretty badly, IIRC. This season he's started poorly, until this match. Apart from his double today, he made 117 in the first innings as well. Whether creaming a pretty moderate Glam attack on what looks like a batters' track at the Oval counts for very much remains to be seen.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Great fightback from Yorkshire in progress, and potentially a win tomorrow. Trailed by 127 on the first innings, and set 404 to win in the fourth innings, they are 3/261 at stumps with McGrath unbeaten on 70 and Harvey on 32. Vaughn, Wood and Jaques all put in solid contributions as well.

Leistershire's bowling attack seems pretty awful, considering Ottis Gibson is one of their openers.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
Scott Newman just made a double century for Surrey against Glamorgan - while Mark Ramprakash is bowled three short of a ton.

Newman was in the A squad in Sri Lanka, wasn't he? Talented?
pretty much id say, i saw him bat last year at lords. good batsman :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
More importantly, Harmison 6-52 including Loye, Hodge, Flintoff and Hegg (plus Anderson and Muralitharan).

I think we might just be back in rhythm!
yeah good see Harmy in some good form & Flintoff in decent batting form

But Lanchashire's patchy season continues :dry:

twelfth_girl

Cricket Spectator
I'm starting to worry bout Strauss, 27 and 10 against Glamorgan and a string of similar scores since the seasone began... On a more positive note Pepsi and Richardson look like a positive bowling attack, and Weeks is scoring runs! Glad to see Flintoff batting a bit and Harmison making some inroads with the ball!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
twelfth_girl said:
I'm starting to worry bout Strauss, 27 and 10 against Glamorgan and a string of similar scores since the seasone began... On a more positive note Pepsi and Richardson look like a positive bowling attack, and Weeks is scoring runs! Glad to see Flintoff batting a bit and Harmison making some inroads with the ball!
Ahh... it all means nothing in the end. :cool:

Also good to see a female poster here. Not enough of you around here. :)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twelfth_girl said:
These games don't matter for Strauss and Vaughan and Trescothick etc - I think you can put some of the underperformance down to the fact that it's just a complete no-pressure environment. Flintoff (fitness) and Harmison (form) have something to prove, whichis why they're playing better.

So long as they're not making 0s and it's just lazy shots that are doing for them, then I'm not in the least concerned. Come July, come the Ashes, they'll be on it again.

twctopcat

International Regular
Great to see young cook of essex doing so well, 3rd ton of the season and easily his biggest FC of career. This guy could be something once tres goes. How long before he enters the england fray?? Any guesses?

Neil Pickup

twctopcat said:
Great to see young cook of essex doing so well, 3rd ton of the season and easily his biggest FC of career. This guy could be something once tres goes. How long before he enters the england fray?? Any guesses?
A couple of years with the As yet - there's not really an opening slot going for him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
twctopcat said:
I think I tipped him as an outside spot for the tour this winter - but that may be a season too soon for him.

Neil Pickup

Nnanden said:
A huge innings by McGrath in a big comeback by the Yorks. Your thoughts?
Every dog has its day... McGrath struggled big-time with the fast, short-pitched delivery against the South Africans a couple of summers ago - but I can't really see a Leicestershire bowling attack comprising Gibson, Willoughby, Masters, Maddy, DeFreitas, Henderson and Mongia providing that.

shaka

International Regular
Andy Flower closing in on a hundred, great recovery, bad decision to enforce the follow on, maybe!

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
A huge innings by McGrath in a big comeback by the Yorks. Your thoughts?
In terms of its contribution to the match, I think that's probably McGrath's best-ever innings.

It's a pity he hasn't done this sort of thing as often in his career as his early talent suggested would happen.

Still we seem to be doing pretty well under Craig White's leadership.

Cheers,

Mike

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
A couple of years with the As yet - there's not really an opening slot going for him.
Yeah would have to agree, no harm in him getting a couple of FC seasons under him, at 20 age is most definitely on his side.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Neil Pickup said:
Every dog has its day... McGrath struggled big-time with the fast, short-pitched delivery against the South Africans a couple of summers ago - but I can't really see a Leicestershire bowling attack comprising Gibson, Willoughby, Masters, Maddy, DeFreitas, Henderson and Mongia providing that.
I dunno mate...

Word on the street is that Bob has been helping Mongia with a short, quick one, that can only be blocked 'with a defenz liek dravid'.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
shaka said:
century for Flower!
:thumbsup:

I love the Zimbabwean people. The Flower brothers, especially Andy. And Ervine! :D He`s me second favourite player I reckon.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
shaka said:
Nice to see them both performing
Ervine hasn`t been doing anything spectacular, got his 50 in this game though I guess. His bowling has been average. I keep forgetting that he`s only 22! :happy: