• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
To be fair to Batty, he did bowl quite well. IMO he bowled better in Antigua than Giles did in the earlier Tests. In the 6th ODI he was also outstanding.
actually antigua offered more for the spinners than the previous 3 matches did. on the other hand in the 6th ODI the WI batsmen had already done the damage in the first 15 overs and when batty came on they needed under 5 runs an over so there was no need to attack him.
the problem with batty is that he has no variety and hes far too orthodox to make it in either form of the game.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
<snipped>

the problem with batty is that he has no variety and hes far too orthodox to make it in either form of the game.
That's an argument that could be made against every English spinner.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but how many times have we gone over this?

Good County bowlers do not always good international bowlers make.

I've been wracking my brains for replacement England One Day players and chuck Dmitri Mascarenhas and Robin Martin-Jenkins into the equation.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
So why does Giles get it over Batty automatically?
experience,bit more variety,taller,turns the ball away from the right hander, and the ability to use negative line to contain batsmen.
i think the performances in SL show who the better spinner was.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
experience,bit more variety,taller,turns the ball away from the right hander, and the ability to use negative line to contain batsmen.
Murali

tooextracool

International Coach
tooextracool said:
oh and he also turns the ball more.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
oh and he also turns the ball more.
Do you actually WATCH any cricket? Batty turns the ball loads more than Giles, thats not difficult mind as Giles hardly moves it off straight :)
Batty is also a much better fielder and just as good as Giles with the bat, thats why i think he should at least be in the OD squad ahead of Giles if you do go for a spinner.

tooextracool

International Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
Do you actually WATCH any cricket? Batty turns the ball loads more than Giles, thats not difficult mind as Giles hardly moves it off straight :)
from what i saw from batty in SL he didnt turn the ball as much as giles.

Rich2001

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Isn't it time to unstick this thread?
It is indeed, just giving you all a couple of days to finish off your discusions (Honest I didn't forget :cool: )

It will remain open though for those that wish to to keep talking about the series :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich2001 said:
It will remain open though for those that wish to to keep talking about the series :)

OK, I'll get the ball rolling.

How selfish was Lara in batting onto 400 and not declaring?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Actually, not very.Preventing the loss was more important than winning.If he had to make a world record to do so then it's a plus for him.In fact that may have been one of his best decisions as captain.Seeing his decisions before and after you know that's not a very good thing.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
i think lara did the right thing. 400* did much more for C'bean cricket than 3-1 could. as for those who say he only went after it for personal glory and profits, does that not confirm the man's greatness, that he could actually set his sight on 400 and achieve it? not very many can do half of what he has done.