• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

PY

International Coach
Freddie has a rush of blood and whacks it straight back to Sarwan. Good catch.

Collingwood and Strauss have a job to do now. Our tail is worryingly long to me.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss Gone, But I think too late for WI now. Good innings by him. Collingwood needs to stay for England to win easily. I wish he doesn't

PY

International Coach
Levelled series. 2-2. Fair result I reckon.

A very very satisfactory tour of the Caribbean finishes on a high.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
More to the point, how long until dillon goes, this guy sucks. Supposed to be dependable, my ****.
Sucks as much as Gough and Harmison I guess. None of those bowlers did very well on these flat pitches. Dillon really only had one shocker of a game. Other than that he was quite solid. Also, no one ever claimed Dillon to be dependable.

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
More to the point, how long until dillon goes, this guy sucks. Supposed to be dependable, my ****.
He has been their best bowler post Ambrose/Walsh without doubt...

Dependable? Yes... But maybe he is doing a bit of a Gough..

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
He has been their best bowler post Ambrose/Walsh without doubt...

Dependable? Yes... But maybe he is doing a bit of a Gough..
In terms of wickets u mean.The WI have better bowlers than Dillon but some of them weren't given enough opportunities or got injured when they did.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
have to wonder why clarke bowled 7 overs despite getting hammered.

The reports I heard weren't that he was being hammered.

He started well I belive, but the last couple of overs damaged his figures.

Craig

World Traveller
Loony BoB said:
Ace, thanks mate. When CricInfo says a match will start at 13:35GMT, does that mean that's when the players will be on the field, or does it mean something more like flipping the coin? Or does DST have something to do with it? When I'm at work I can't check this stuff any other way, so it'd be nice to know. Thanks again, though. Finishing work early today so I'm off... into the wet rain for an hour on a bus until I finally sit down on my couch. I love Britain, I really do. ;)
You would pick Scotland wouldnt you? :D :lol: :p :p

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Sucks as much as Gough and Harmison I guess. None of those bowlers did very well on these flat pitches. Dillon really only had one shocker of a game. Other than that he was quite solid. Also, no one ever claimed Dillon to be dependable.
Fair enough, but when Gough gets hit about so do the rest of the England attack. You've got to wonder a bit though when relative newcomers like Rampaul perform better than him.

tooextracool

International Coach
right its time for a series review....
ENGLAND

trescothick- its great to see him back in form although its questionable how his form returns in the ODIs and is lost in tests outside the oval. nonetheless the player of the series and englands best odi batsman ATM. 9/10
vaughan - vaughan continues to underperform in ODIs although he has had some shocking decisions against him this series. the most disappointing thing for vaughan is that he is yet to score an ODI 100. 6/10
strauss - he was impressive throughout the series including in the 1st odi in difficult conditions. his technique although a bit like justing langer's seems to suit the 5 day version and IMO hes just jumped the line ahead of collingwood for a test place. 8/10
collingwood - collingwood has still to establish himself as a formidable middle order batsmen. his batting this series has been far from impressive and he really needs to prove himself in the natwest series. 5/10
flintoff - its high time that flintoff did something big with the bat in ODIs. his series of 40 odd scores definetly needs to be bettered if he wants to bat consistently at no 5 for england in the yrs to come. his temperament can also be questioned especially after sarwan made him his bunny on this tour. with the ball though hes been as good as any body on either side and continues to remain as economical as ever. 7/10
clarke- remind me what he is doing in the ODI side, let alone the test side? so desperate were the selectors after clarke peformances in the first 3 odis that they were even contemplating picking anthony mcgrath. 1/10(yeah he gets a point for his fielding)
read - england have found their ODI keeper. dont let his diminutive stature fool you,he can hit the ball a long way-a bit moin khanish. although there are flaws in his technique as was observable yesterday and that wont help him in the test match arena. i hope that g.jones makes it ahead of him in the starting lineup for the 1st test against NZ. 8/10
blackwell - unlucky to have missed out in the last 2 matches. a handy knock in the first odi was followed by a first ball departure in the next, although he cant be blamed for that as he needed to accelerate. if blackwell wants to remain in this england side hes going to bat at no 7 or 8 and for that he needs to improve his bowling a bit as he definetly provides a bit of variety to this attack. 5/10
batty - i think(or at least hope) that this is the last time we'll see batty anywhere near the test or ODI side. his performance with the ball in the 6th odi although not bad was not anything great and i really think that hes not international class. 5/10
anderson - its the end of the road for anderson from the test side at least. he still hasnt been able to improve that pace of his and doesnt look penetrative or accurate enough to feature consistently in the ODI side. the only left from what we saw in that odi series last summer is his uncanny ability to pick up big wickets with poor balls. 5/10
harmison - His performances in the ODIs havent been very impressive, most of that had to do with the fact that he had lost a fair amount of pace. which begs the question...why wasnt our best fast bowler rested for the more important test series against nz? 6/10
gough - the old warhorse is back and despite having a one off game in the last odi he performed brilliantly yesterday and was the best bowler from either side in the series. darren gough demonstrated how to bowl in an odi with a classic over in the 1st odi in st lucia where he bowled 6 inswinging yorkers(or thereabouts). 8.5/10
kirtley - i think hes successfully demonstrated why he wasnt given too many chances after those 6 wickets against SA at trent bridge. 4/10

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
WEST INDIES

gayle- i really think this is what we'll see of gayle consistently at the ODI level.....a couple of 40s-50s in a series followed by a couple of failures and a hundred once in every 10-15 matches. his temperament is what lets him down in the ODI game, more often than not he gets himself out. 5/10
chanderpaul - a good performance from chanderpaul,its only a pity he couldnt strike this form in the test series. 7/10
powell - once again powell has failed to establish himself despite being given the opportunity and go on and make a big score. a couple of 30s in a series at no 3....not good enough, the story of his career really. 5/10
sarwan - much better performances from sarwan, the player of the series for the WI and hopefully he can carry this form into the test series in england. 8.5/10
lara- by his own standards hes being disappointing, but it was clear that he wasnt playing for himself and was more interested in giving the younger players an opportunity...hence the no 5 batting position. although at 5 he was expected to bat through those 2 games in st lucia. 6/10
dwayne smith - amazing player, hes got talent and the 80s West indian flair.(perhaps those flick 6s or those cover drives for 6 in SA have influenced me)i think that he should feature in the test side as well. so what if his shot selection is poor or that hes not quite upto test standard yet.....WI have been persisting with gayle now for the last 5 years. 8/10
bravo - havent seen enough of him to rate him just yet....although he did remain unbeaten to get WI home twice. ?/10
jacobs - hasnt had too many chances with the bat this series but has done well in the few chances that he got. hasnt been dismissed all series! 8/10
bradshaw - i like his bowling action, smooth and flowing and an excellent performance yesterday while everyone else was smacked all over. he does need to raise his pace a bit if he wants to be effective in ODI cricket though 7/10
rampaul - still hasnt made his mark in ODI cricket and how long has it been since hes bowled his full quota of overs? 4/10
dillon - isnt it about time that we saw the back of dillon?theres certainly plenty of other bowlers in the carribean who are younger and more talented than dillon and his performance this series hasnt been anything better than ordinary. 5/10
collymore - one bad over and we might never see him in international cricket again.he certainly hasnt been the luckiest player in this series has he? 2/10

Loony BoB

International Captain
I love how you say that the Windies "persist" with someone who is rated as the best all rounder in the world at the ODI level, not to mention 4th on the batting scales (or was recently). And you didn't even give him a touch of credit for being arguably the best bowler of the Windies pack in more than one of the ODI's.

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
I love how you say that the Windies "persist" with someone who is rated as the best all rounder in the world at the ODI level, not to mention 4th on the batting scales (or was recently). And you didn't even give him a touch of credit for being arguably the best bowler of the Windies pack in more than one of the ODI's.
i was talking about test matches there....hes a good ODI player though
oh yes i did forget about his bowling performances....oh well maybe next time.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
collymore - one bad over and we might never see him in international cricket again.he certainly hasnt been the luckiest player in this series has he? 2/10
Don't be too disappointed. Trust that you will see Corey Collymore play international cricket again. Also, how can he be the luckiest player in this series? I await you explanation keenly. This should be good.