• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Isolator said:
Oh no, I outdo everyone in my Pietersen-hate. I hate him more than I hate Michael Clarke. Top that.

And has Prince changed his technique recently? On the NZ tour, if I remember correctly, he used to shuffle across Lehmann-style, and was pretty ugly to watch. He looks much better now. (Not his face, his batting...)
He is now known as "Runout Prince" ;) And yes, Jennings has been marching him up and down in the knees high style to teach him to stop rubbing out the paint line on the crease. Works beter, doesn't it :wacko: Anyway, we won, we won, Yaaay :D

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
In Port Elizabeth, after taking a catch in the deep (forget who it was he caught)

Heaps of sportsman including cricketers bait the crowd, the New Zealanders do it to us in cricket, we do it to them.

Who cares if Pietersen did it to the South African fans, the stick the fans and apparently the SA players have been giving him he derserves to give some back.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
Oh no, I outdo everyone in my Pietersen-hate. I hate him more than I hate Michael Clarke. Top that.
You hate Michael Clarke? :huh:

Okay.

I hate Symonds, Lehmann(filthy honourary Yorkie! :@ ), Lee, Watson, Jayasuria, Nel, Ganguly, Fleming, but neither Petersen or Clarke, so I can't top it :happy:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... the ODI series and the tour is over, how'd it go, then?
Trescothick - shocker, really - and for no apparent reason. Lowest average of the batsmen bar Bell, when he really should be topping the averages... oh, well, he's had form-slumps before.
G. Jones - looks like he's going to continue opening the batting, doesn't it? Well, TBF he's done better opening than he's done down the order (averages 19.85 there and 11 when at seven - also averages 20 at three) but if anyone reckons there aren't any better openers going around, they're... well, actually... who's going to stick their hand up? I certainly can't see any obvious candidates. Until there are, I guess we're stuck with Jones wasting the place. :@
Vaughan - somehow managed to average 39.75 here - even before this series he'd managed to average 38.66 against South Africa. Still only averages 24.40 in proper ODIs. Needs more than one good series to convince anyone.
Strauss - 17.33, very poor indeed. Oh, well, he couldn't go on averaging 43 for ever.
Pietersen - no need to amplify an average of 151.33, it speaks for itself (the SR of 105.58 ain't bad, either). My only worry is that he's "done a Strauss" and burned-up all his runs and is due 10 runs in 7 innings against Australia next summer or something horrible like that.
Bell - 3 innings, not really anything convincing in any of them but the last, in which he failed. Hopefully he might get another chance in the four-five sort of position.
Solanki - managed to average 30 - like Vaughan he managed to average 40.50 in his previous series against SA. God knows what's next for him - removed from the opening slot, could go back there, could be dropped, could have some more games at six, or three, or elsewhere. We really can't know until we see.
Collingwood - as usual against the decent teams, failed pretty poorly - averaged 17.40. Oh, well, as per usual no-one'll notice when he scores some runs against Bangladesh soon. Bowled a bit better than expected, but still not especially well, as 4.88-an-over at 84.66 suggests.
Giles - despite profession of him bowling well, 4.41-an-over at 39.71 hardly provides a brilliant picture, does it? Managed to average higher than 4 batsmen with the bat, at a nothing-special 19.75.
Kabir Ali - quite familiar, really - a bowler comes in and goes for plenty while grabbing wickets pretty regularly. Have to wait to see which one changes first - if the latter, as the manner of their collection suggests to me, he's not gonna be around much longer. If the former, he'll turn into quite some bowler.
Gough - well, he should at least have staved-off the fools who couldn't wait to write him off. Easily the best bowler, while those who'd been championed were hammered (and one didn't even get a game).
Wharf - somehow managed to collect 5 wickets for less than 100. Somehow I doubt it'll continue, but if he gets away with this sort of disjointed selection it might.
Hoggard - not much has changed these last 2 years, has it? What was the point in bringing him back? 5.71-an-over at 43.40 - hopefully he'll be left to Test-cricket again, and hopefully left for good this time.
Harmison - 6-an-over, 2 wickets at 60 - what a fantastic two games. Who'd have thought that he'd be deemed not good enough for the ODIs at the start of the tour? Equally, who'd have guessed that the man he apparently made him look like a medium-pace plodder in the summer should put him to such shame? Ah, well - at least one person did.
Anderson, so rampant 18 months ago, couldn't even get in the side once. Good job for him - Kemp might have made mincemeat of him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Giles - despite profession of him bowling well, 4.41-an-over at 39.71 hardly provides a brilliant picture, does it?
Under the 4.5 limit.

Far better than a lot of the others, and also well below the overall run rate.

Still, you don't think he can possibly be good because of his style of bowling, so cannot give him credit.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Greg Blewett said:
Who cares if Pietersen did it to the South African fans, the stick the fans and apparently the SA players have been giving him he derserves to give some back.
A bit rich coming from someone from Sydney, where fans tuck into Murali, English outfielders and others like nobodys business.. Without even being provoked..

I remember Symcox getting some p*ss in a can from one guy.. Nice...

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
A bit rich coming from someone from Sydney, where fans tuck into Murali, English outfielders and others like nobodys business.. Without even being provoked..

one mans meat is another mans poison :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
You saying the aussies drink that kind of stuff!?
If it was in a beer can I'm sure they would, they might get suspicious tho if they're coherent enough to taste the difference and wonder why it tastes better than the usual stuff they drink.

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:

Thats for stereotyping me, I dont even support Australia, i'm born in England.

Oh and I think Murali is great, the English outfielding last time they were here was poor and the Symcox incident well theres idiots from everywhere so yet again don't stereotype a country based on a few incidents.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Yep, two 100s in one series including an innings where he carried his bat for 50 overs. Real plonker. :)

Hopefully 'your book' has changed now. I hope you've learnt to have a bit more faith in your captain. ;)
I reelly do feel sorry for the next team that have the misfortune of finding Smith in such form (remember England-SA 2003).

Double-ton anyone?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Greg Blewett said:
Thats for stereotyping me, I dont even support Australia, i'm born in England.

Oh and I think Murali is great, the English outfielding last time they were here was poor and the Symcox incident well theres idiots from everywhere so yet again don't stereotype a country based on a few incidents.
Fair enough.. i hope you don't even think of stereotyping the SA public, based on a "few incidents" then :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
SpeedKing said:
I reelly do feel sorry for the next team that have the misfortune of finding Smith in such form (remember England-SA 2003).

Double-ton anyone?
As SA have Zimbabwe next up, my call is a yes :)