• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

twctopcat

International Regular
Now all we need is a gough to have a dreamer of a first session then we can have a chance!!

EDIT: Totally forgot Goughie isn't playing, it will have to be harmy then - d'oh!!

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The context was about whether Pietersen could despatch the bowlers to all parts, McGrath is unlikely to have much in the way of conditions to help him (going by the fairly batter-friendly pitches last season) so I don't see him containing Pietersen particularly.
I think if there's one thing Glenn McGrath has shown for many years now is that the conditions rarely matter to a bowler of his type and ability no matter who's batting.

Pieterson is hetting the ball REALLY well, sure, but in a few month's time, those clean swings through the line, when he has more of the pressure of performance on him, might not work for him quite so much. Then again, he could bat even better! I personally am interested in finding out.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
I think if there's one thing Glenn McGrath has shown for many years now is that the conditions rarely matter to a bowler of his type and ability no matter who's batting.

Pieterson is hetting the ball REALLY well, sure, but in a few month's time, those clean swings through the line, when he has more of the pressure of performance on him, might not work for him quite so much. Then again, he could bat even better! I personally am interested in finding out.
McGrath with a bit of movement is far more effective than McGrath with no movement. If the ball doesn't move then clean swings through the line will work (unless the pitch is two-paced or uneven).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
McGrath with a bit of movement is far more effective than McGrath with no movement. If the ball doesn't move then clean swings through the line will work (unless the pitch is two-paced or uneven).
The way McGrath is bowling at the moment he could movement out of the pitch if they played on the runway at Heathrow. The way he bowled against New Zealand in the Adelaide test (one of the flattest decks I have EVER seen) was truly memorable.

Nevertheless, if Shahid Afridi and Kyle Mills could hit a few boundaries off him, KP might as well. It should be a memorable battle, particularly if Pietersen makes it into the test side by Ashes time.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A few targets to win (overs completed/wickets down):

20/1: 68
20/2: 79
25/1: 87
25/2: 95
25/3: 106
30/1: 109
30/2: 115
30/3: 123
30/4: 134

NB These are based on the Standard edition, not the Professional, so will be slightly inaccurate.

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
A few targets to win (overs completed/wickets down):

20/1: 68
20/2: 79
25/1: 87
25/2: 95
25/3: 106
30/1: 109
30/2: 115
30/3: 123
30/4: 134

NB These are based on the Standard edition, not the Professional, so will be slightly inaccurate.
Cheers neil.