• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
because we have such fantastic bowlers in our side that can bowl in the 15 dont we?
TEC !! For once I actually agree with your sarcy response :)

Swervy

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
No i don't...just congratulating the S.African team and confirming my thoughts that England are about the 7th ranked Oneday side..

Just expressing my opinion - you know, what people do on forums

Sorry if i've upset you
the fact that England are now ranked 7th just goes to show how closely bunched that middle pack are...each one of those teams could easily be ranked 3rd soon enough

Zinzan

Swervy said:
the fact that England are now ranked 7th just goes to show how closely bunched that middle pack are...each one of those teams could easily be ranked 3rd soon enough
Yeah I expect India to rise up, they just have too much oneday talent to be at 8th...so i do expect them to overtake England soon

Swervy

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Yeah I expect India to rise up, they just have too much oneday talent to be at 8th...so i do expect them to overtake England soon

you may well be right...but dont forget England pretty much trounced India 6 months ago in one dayers...again further proof that those middle rankings dont really mean that much

Zinzan

Swervy said:
you may well be right...but dont forget England pretty much trounced India 6 months ago in one dayers...again further proof that those middle rankings dont really mean that much
Correct thats what I'm referring to. India have been on one hell of a Oneday slump in the last year.

Neil Pickup

It's all down to who turns up on the day, really - any game between the "other seven" is rarely going to be any more than a 60-40 call, and then down to form/fatigue/conditions. Makes for great neutral viewing...

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Is this the him opening or him even being in the team?
I do not mind him being in the team as he can come in and smash a quick 30odd in the final ten overs but i am well and truly against him opening which leaves us short of big hitters down the order and oo much burden on KP

Zinzan

Neil Pickup said:
It's all down to who turns up on the day, really - any game between the "other seven" is rarely going to be any more than a 60-40 call, and then down to form/fatigue/conditions. Makes for great neutral viewing...
Disagree entirely...there is big gap between Aust at 1 to NZ and S.L at 2 and 3....Then another big gap to 4-7th ranked teams...

Here the latest ICC rankings..

Australia 42 5756 137
New Zealand 31 3718 120
Sri Lanka 37 4334 117
Pakistan 51 5575 109
South Africa 35 3727 106
West Indies 31 3242 105
England 34 3508 103
India 37 3639 98
Zimbabwe 37 1895 51
Kenya 8 204 26
Bangladesh 33 354 11

I'd also say I'd be confident the way NZ play oneday cricket these days that I'd give them much more than a 60/40 chance against any of the 4-7th ranked sides...

My rational is the recent result NZ has had against those teams...

NZ games Vs those teams recently....

Vs Eng 3-0
Vs Pak 4-1
Vs S.A 5-1
Vs W.I 3-0

Thats actually better than 80%.....

twctopcat

International Regular
From the beeb website:

"England's hard-hitting talisman Flintoff, who missed the 4-1 series defeat for ankle surgery, sent Pietersen a text message saying he is looking forward to "doing some damage together"."

Can't wait :D

chris.hinton

International Captain
England Squad for the Natwest Series Could be

IN SQUAD

Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Michael Vaughan
Kabir Ali
Darren Gough
Paul Collingwood

NEARLY THERE

Marcus Trescothick
Ashley Giles
Andrew Strauss

NEED MORE CONVINING

Greaint Jones
Steve Harmison
Alex Wharf
Vikram Solanki

NEED TO GO

Gareth Batty (Never had a Chance)
Matthew Hoggard
Ian Bell

IN WITH A SHOUT FROM OUTSIDE

Sajid Mahmood
Graham Swann
Dmirti Mascaranus
Michael Powell
Chris Read
Simon Jones

what do you think

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ok i'm not the biggest Hoggard fan or anything but come on give the guy a break. He's out of the side for 2 years gets picked and doesn't do too well....what was everyone expecting? Hoggard has come on leaps and bounds as of late, I say he deserves another chance.

If Hoggard "needs to go" then so does Harmison.

Swervy

International Captain
twctopcat said:
I think you have seriously misjudged the man, he is as much part of England's future as kevin pietersen is.
I agree...

What exactly has Bell done to warrant being on a list of people who shouldnt play for England in ODI's...he is a good player....I would say he has more of a future in the England team than one Kabir Ali has

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swervy said:
I agree...

What exactly has Bell done to warrant being on a list of people who shouldnt play for England in ODI's...he is a good player....I would say he has more of a future in the England team than one Kabir Ali has
That's not exactly saying much, I personally don't see what role Bell would fill in the team itself when England get themselves sorted out in ODIs. Bell will be at best one of the back-up batsmen along with Solanki assuming no other batsmen emerge.

Swervy

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
That's not exactly saying much, I personally don't see what role Bell would fill in the team itself when England get themselves sorted out in ODIs. Bell will be at best one of the back-up batsmen along with Solanki assuming no other batsmen emerge.
well thats pretty good to have a player of bells quality as back up

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
heheheh...thats the problem!!! :D
surely they must be someone whos at least done something in domestic cricket and not been a proven failure in ODIs?
even sajid mahmood wouldnt be a bad choice.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
doubt it, NZ are ahead of the other 6 by a country mile.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
Please don't bracket Bell with Solanki, that's just embarassing.