• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The question is whether Key is up to such a huge ask as the Ashes. The other question (which I asked earlier) is "if not Key/Tresco, then who?"
but IMO key has to be given more chances before that. but really if key plays both the next 2 tests, i think by the end of this tour we would know conclusively whether or not hes good enough. and if its not key/tresco i think its fairly obvious that it will be bell or pieterson(bell of course comes first)

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Key is under pressure because of statistics. No one can deny the class of Thorpe and Vaughan. Strauss is on fire atm. Flintoff had a wonderful year last year. Trescothick has a good Test record. Jones keeps wicket.

If Key were averaging in the mid to high 30s after 20-30 Tests, he wouldn't be the one under pressure.
you cannot just make it into the side on class. thorpe as we all know is good enough. flintoff good year or not has still not proved himself away from home as a batsman. as far as tresco is concerned, you simply cannot pick a guy just because he has an average of over 40 even if hes been faiing against quality opposition and away from home. IMO everyone deserves to get enough chances, i dont see the point of dropping key now, because no one will know whether he was good enough or not. if bell fails then its quite plausible that they'll pick key again. all of which would be pointless.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
but IMO key has to be given more chances before that. but really if key plays both the next 2 tests, i think by the end of this tour we would know conclusively whether or not hes good enough. and if its not key/tresco i think its fairly obvious that it will be bell or pieterson(bell of course comes first)
Consider that the number 3 spot has to filled too, as I'm doubting Butcher will return for much longer at any risk. If there are the two spots to be filled, it would have to be both Bell and Pieterson (obviously).

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
you cannot just make it into the side on class. thorpe as we all know is good enough. flintoff good year or not has still not proved himself away from home as a batsman. as far as tresco is concerned, you simply cannot pick a guy just because he has an average of over 40 even if hes been faiing against quality opposition and away from home. IMO everyone deserves to get enough chances, i dont see the point of dropping key now, because no one will know whether he was good enough or not. if bell fails then its quite plausible that they'll pick key again. all of which would be pointless.
I agree that batsmen shouldn't be picked on Test stats alone, but the fact is that Trescothick is.

I do think that you can just make it into a side on class though. Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Hayden etc. would not be dropped from the Test side on a moderate run of poor form. It would have to be far worse than that. They've proven they're terrific players and that's enough to ink them in.

Key shouldn't be dropped, but once again I emphasize that I was talking more long term than for the next Test or two.

tooextracool

International Coach
assuming key is a proven failure.IMO an ideal england side would be:
bell(i have no idea if he has any past experiences as an opener?)
strauss
butcher/key
vaughan
thorpe
flintoff
jones
giles
jones
harmison
hoggard

the only real problem that i have is the captaincy, because IMO if vaughan continues to fail for the rest of the series with the bat drastic action needs to be made.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I wouldn't have Harmison and Jones over Hoggard at all. Both are hit-or-miss merchants. Hoggard has some technique about him. Also, I'd not have Jones in my ideal England side, unless I meant ideal to play against. I'm still far from convinced as to his potency at Test level.

EDIT: That Jones is of the Simon variety.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I agree that batsmen shouldn't be picked on Test stats alone, but the fact is that Trescothick is.
it is a rather unfortunate situation. everytime his weakness is exposed at the test match level and he has a poor run, he usually ends up scoring a big 100 against a poor bowling attack at home and then claims that hes worked on his technique only to see him make the same mistake over and over again.i think its fairly obvious that there are far more talented players waiting in the wings that are being kept out because of someone who can never be relied upon with the bat is consistently being picked.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I do think that you can just make it into a side on class though. Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Hayden etc. would not be dropped from the Test side on a moderate run of poor form. It would have to be far worse than that. They've proven they're terrific players and that's enough to ink them in.
but how long can you keep doing it? yes 2-3 bad series of course can be a sign of poor form. but to be reasonable, someone like vaughan has been failing for 1.5 years. now surely you cannot go along with that for the rest of his career.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Key shouldn't be dropped, but once again I emphasize that I was talking more long term than for the next Test or two.
well i think the next test or 2 will more than give us an indication as to how good he really is. while bell certainly seems to be the player with more potential he must wait in line until his turn comes.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
but how long can you keep doing it? yes 2-3 bad series of course can be a sign of poor form. but to be reasonable, someone like vaughan has been failing for 1.5 years. now surely you cannot go along with that for the rest of his career.
Vaughan didn't have a failure of a year last year. He just had a disappointing year by his standards. He did, after all, average 38 with 3 hundreds. 15 years like that and you end your career with an average of 38 with 45 hundreds. Not that bad.

The reason why Vaughan's struggles have been so much more documented than say an Atapattu's would be, is that so much more is expected from him in each innings. That's where the pressure comes from.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I wouldn't have Harmison and Jones over Hoggard at all. Both are hit-or-miss merchants. Hoggard has some technique about him. Also, I'd not have Jones in my ideal England side, unless I meant ideal to play against. I'm still far from convinced as to his potency at Test level.

EDIT: That Jones is of the Simon variety.
ok, i wasnt really bothered about the batting order of the last 4 players, but yes hoggard would usually bat ahead of them(Depending on the situation).
with regard to simon jones, personally i dont think there are too many options, im the person who believes that whenever it comes down to jones and anderson its a no brainer. i do also believe that jones has plenty of potential, unfortunately from what ive seen from him for most his career so far i know he can reverse swing it, but can he do anything else? it seems that unless the conditions are helpful for reverse swing he seems considerably less effective although he was fairly effective at Lords in the first inning against NZ.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Vaughan didn't have a failure of a year last year. He just had a disappointing year by his standards. He did, after all, average 38 with 3 hundreds. 15 years like that and you end your career with an average of 38 with 45 hundreds. Not that bad.

The reason why Vaughan's struggles have been so much more documented than say an Atapattu's would be, is that so much more is expected from him in each innings. That's where the pressure comes from.
but really all 3 hundreds came on the flattest wickets possible. IMO hes been disappointing whenever england has needed him most(bar of course the 1 inning in SL), under pressure situations. and the extra pressure stems directly from the captaincy. i wouldnt mind it if he had averaged 38 and done a hussain- ie played quality innings on seamer friendly wickets or when england were 10/2.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
assuming key is a proven failure.IMO an ideal england side would be:
bell(i have no idea if he has any past experiences as an opener?)
strauss
butcher/key
vaughan
thorpe
flintoff
jones
giles
jones
harmison
hoggard

the only real problem that i have is the captaincy, because IMO if vaughan continues to fail for the rest of the series with the bat drastic action needs to be made.
No, Bell doesn't open for his county and it would be very strange to have him opening for the test side. ODI's against Zim are another matter altogether!

I must say that the widespread assumption that Bell is the real deal is well beyond what he's actually shown so far. Hopefully we won't all be disappointed.

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't expect anything anymore from Vaughan!! Does no-one else think he should go back to opening??

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
twctopcat said:
I don't expect anything anymore from Vaughan!! Does no-one else think he should go back to opening??
The reason why he dropped himself to 4 is because the Trescothick/Strauss partnership showed so much promise, and it has delivered. Personally I think Vaughan should bat at three, he has the perfect game for a number 3.

tooextracool

International Coach
wpdavid said:
No, Bell doesn't open for his county and it would be very strange to have him opening for the test side. ODI's against Zim are another matter altogether!.
Well then i think its quite possibly to have butcher or key open the batting. but bell IMO would make a good opener, he certainly has the right technique for it.

wpdavid said:
I must say that the widespread assumption that Bell is the real deal is well beyond what he's actually shown so far. Hopefully we won't all be disappointed.
yes it was only really 1 inning, yes it was good but i dont understand why he should be allowed to jump in line ahead of key.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
why? its not like he was having any great success as an opener sinces hes taken over the captaincy.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think that marc Butcher England career has come to an end. with Key 25 and Bell 22 they should look towards these two to battle it out for the Number 3 spot

England where shocking in the Third Test they have been complaceant in the last 2 tests South Africa are not that good a test team

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
chris.hinton said:
England where shocking in the Third Test they have been complaceant in the last 2 tests South Africa are not that good a test team
And so have the English fans on this thread :D

Underestimate your opposition at your own peril!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
chris.hinton said:
I think that marc Butcher England career has come to an end. with Key 25 and Bell 22 they should look towards these two to battle it out for the Number 3 spot

It may be true about Butcher but Key doesnt look like a number three batsman. It has to be Vaughan or Thorpe.

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
why? its not like he was having any great success as an opener sinces hes taken over the captaincy.
Very true but i believe this could be his best role, especially because he is clearly a better opener than tres captain or not.