• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
twctopcat said:
Finally some good news. Bell should have been there in the first place. Unfortunately i doubt he will play until the final test after key ****s up again, then we'll be left thinking of what might have been.
Hear, hear!

It's a little worrying to read talk of playing Fred as batter only tho; as much as I love him his form doesn't justify it just now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hi Langeveldt

Sorry to intrude the SA vs England thread, but I wanted to grab your attention re a message I posted on the staff forum for this week's work rota.

Thanks.

Langeveldt

Soutie
wpdavid said:
Hi Langeveldt

Sorry to intrude the SA vs England thread, but I wanted to grab your attention re a message I posted on the staff forum for this week's work rota.

Thanks.
Okay, im willing to swap mate

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And who comes in for Trescothick?
Bump Vaughan up there and keep key and bell. Tres against the aussies will be disaster. His 130 in the second test was as sketchy as i've seen for a while.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
Bump Vaughan up there and keep key and bell. Tres against the aussies will be disaster. His 130 in the second test was as sketchy as i've seen for a while.
So you're backing Key ahead of Trescothick? Interesting...

As much as I wouldn't say Trescothick is a great Test player, I'd put him ahead of Key by a distance.

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Yep, and we need Tres opening with Smith at Somerset..

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

As much as I wouldn't say Trescothick is a great Test player, I'd put him ahead of Key by a distance.
That's not to say Key is particularly high in my estimation, but there is room for improvement. We all know how disciplined the aussie bowling is, and i don't see tres having much luck.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Too bloody right!

4207 runs @ 42.49 v 663 @ 31.57. No-brainer.

I'd sooner have Tres making shaky 130s than Key skipping down the wicket & being stumped after having missed out on a nice juicy full toss the previous ball.

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
than Key skipping down the wicket & being stumped after having missed out on a nice juicy full toss the previous ball.
Nah, it was just Polly at mid off waving a slice of Biltong about :laugh:

twctopcat

International Regular
BoyBrumby said:
Too bloody right!

4207 runs @ 42.49 v 663 @ 31.57. No-brainer.

I'd sooner have Tres making shaky 130s than Key skipping down the wicket & being stumped after having missed out on a nice juicy full toss the previous ball.
I wish it was that simple!! We all know how bad tres is against the aussies, hence my words of caution.

Mr Mxyzptlk

twctopcat said:
That's not to say Key is particularly high in my estimation, but there is room for improvement. We all know how disciplined the aussie bowling is, and i don't see tres having much luck.
Well if that's really the case, then Key is not the answer either. Go for some other opener entirely. However, Trescothick must finish the series, as that other opener is not on tour with England right now.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well if that's really the case, then Key is not the answer either. Go for some other opener entirely. However, Trescothick must finish the series, as that other opener is not on tour with England right now.
Yeah to be honest i'm not sure he is. I just can't help thinking Vaughan should open again ala last ashes, then work out the next no.4. Bell should be no.3 to be fair.

Mr Mxyzptlk

twctopcat said:
Yeah to be honest i'm not sure he is. I just can't help thinking Vaughan should open again ala last ashes, then work out the next no.4. Bell should be no.3 to be fair.
Sounds like Pieterson or Collingwood coming into the middle order then. Both are untried at Test level and thus, inexperienced. If I were to pick one to toss into the lion's den though, I'd actually pick Pieterson. Yes, he's inexperienced and probably a tad over-aggressive, but I think that may just work against the likes of Australia.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Sounds like Pieterson or Collingwood coming into the middle order then. Both are untried at Test level and thus, inexperienced. If I were to pick one to toss into the lion's den though, I'd actually pick Pieterson. Yes, he's inexperienced and probably a tad over-aggressive, but I think that may just work against the likes of Australia.
Definitely, though i would prefer Pietersen at 5 post thorpe, which leaves 4 open to someone, i don't know who though.