• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
just analysing our bowling attack, flintoff averages 24 this series, hoggard 28 and jones 27. it doesnt take much to realise whos underperforming here.
No, and even he himself has said it.

Heard him today talking about his innings. When asked about the short stuff he had, he said that he thought they were maybe trying to injure him, but he couldn't work out why they didn't just pitch it up and try and keep him in the team seeing as he'd bowled so poorly.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I think that is Harmison's problem, not so evident with Flintoff, seeing as he is our leading wicket-taker.
Which is why I was talking about his batting.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Rather than South Africa winning it?? Conveniently ignoring messrs Langeveldt, and of course Kallis..
I'm glad I wasn't on this thread saying how annoyed I was that Dale Steyn got left out (unless injured?) then Charl Langeveldt going and taking shed load of wickets. Certainly unlikely not to have played more Tests for South Africa, but he is right, it wasn't easy trying to gt a go when SA had Donald, Polloack, Ntini etc.

I have been quite impressed with Steyn, with only 9 FC games (ncluding his two Tests) he did alright. He had pace, a mean bumper (bouncer) and I liked his attitude. The problem I had was that he over did his bouncer when he should have looked to bowl a yorker when the batsmen are on the back foot.

I guess when start handing out South African Test caps in a brown paper bag I guess you must find some decent players.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And the series is all tied up now. Free now as exams are over. I was termed arrogant on this very thread. All I would like so say i I never said England is a poor team. They have just lost one test right now but there is still miles to go before England can count as good as they have been made out in the media. India was hyped for much of 2003 and the bubble burst in 2004. England have been a good team no doubt but a long way to go..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
and by right places i did not mean that he was bowling every ball in the corridor of uncertainity and had players wondering whether or not to go on the front or back foot. he was simply disciplined, which meant that he didnt bowl too many balls down the legs side or bowl half volleys etc.
That's surely what you expect from a bowler though. You can't tell me a coach would teach a bowler to bowl a disciplined line and length and then say that he doesn't deserve Test wickets because he hasn't bowled jaffas. Ridiculous.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Even the players said that they didn't play well in the 1st Test.

I don't see how you can say they held the edge in the 2nd when they were skittled out then samcked around.
By smacking SA around even more and then taking 8 of their wickets?

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's surely what you expect from a bowler though. You can't tell me a coach would teach a bowler to bowl a disciplined line and length and then say that he doesn't deserve Test wickets because he hasn't bowled jaffas. Ridiculous.
doubt it, its something you expect your bowler to do yes, but you dont deserve wickets when you get them from straight balls, otherwise mark ealham would stilll be playing test cricket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am watching the repeat of the South Africa England 3rd test and while England's last wicket is left, the crowd is chanting 'eye of the tiger' from Rocky. Hilarious. Barmy Army does have a sense of humour.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
I am watching the repeat of the South Africa England 3rd test and while England's last wicket is left, the crowd is chanting 'eye of the tiger' from Rocky. Hilarious. Barmy Army does have a sense of humour.
Yeah, shame most of them obviously lack a formal education...

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Yeah, shame most of them obviously lack a formal education...
actually I was wondering the other day...where do these guys get the money from to do all this touring..what jobs can they have which will allow them to have tons of time off work..and earn enough to blow tons of dosh on travel, hotels , booze etc.

I want that job

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
I'm glad I wasn't on this thread saying how annoyed I was that Dale Steyn got left out (unless injured?) then Charl Langeveldt going and taking shed load of wickets. Certainly unlikely not to have played more Tests for South Africa, but he is right, it wasn't easy trying to gt a go when SA had Donald, Polloack, Ntini etc.

I have been quite impressed with Steyn, with only 9 FC games (ncluding his two Tests) he did alright. He had pace, a mean bumper (bouncer) and I liked his attitude. The problem I had was that he over did his bouncer when he should have looked to bowl a yorker when the batsmen are on the back foot.

I guess when start handing out South African Test caps in a brown paper bag I guess you must find some decent players.
Yeah Steyn has been impressive for me.. I'd like to see him taken under the wing of someone like AD, and given a longer run in domestic cricket.. We know he has the pace and the talent, with some guidance he could well be a big force in the future.. He certainly is in good hands up in Pretoria.. But a pick between him and Langeveldt at the moment has Lang winning

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
actually I was wondering the other day...where do these guys get the money from to do all this touring..what jobs can they have which will allow them to have tons of time off work..and earn enough to blow tons of dosh on travel, hotels , booze etc.

I want that job
I don't know.. I think its brilliant how these guys pour money into the SA economy, but they do seem like football hooligans with nothing better to do, especially the scum writing the racist graffiti in Newlands, although apparently they were "unoficcial barmy army".. Half the time they don't seem to bothered with the cricket anyway.. But its disappointing from a SA perspective that all you can hear are the British fans..

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swervy said:

I want that job
Maybe something in the construction industry, it's always quieter in winter anyway so it's not like they'd be missing much work.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I didnt hear o many stories of the barmy army in india the last time England toured India. Were they absent or in far lesser numbers? Drinking isnt allowed in Indian stands. Probably that answers the reason for their absence..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
I didnt hear o many stories of the barmy army in india the last time England toured India. Were they absent or in far lesser numbers? Drinking isnt allowed in Indian stands. Probably that answers the reason for their absence..
Definitely the reason for their absence.. Lucky you guys!

I heard uproar over the Cape Town bar closing times.. Imagine going to Kaapstad and staying in a bar?? Absolutely insane..