• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marcus said:
The way we went about saving that match was dreadful, South Africa batted to save the test imn the 2nd test and although that wasnt for such a long period, all England needed to do was to play defense all thourgh both days, avoiding the balls outside off stump and not taking anything on, on the hook or the pull, Vaughan got out to the worst shot ever in a a match saving 2nd innings......
It's easy to comment when you're not in the middle facing quality bowling from Shaun Pollock, Makhaya Ntini and Nico Boje ey? That Langeveldt guy wasn't bad either...

The point being that you say "all they had to do". That is all they had to do, but it was hardly simple!

Craig

World Traveller
wpdavid said:
Wasn't Dippenaar injured for the 2nd test? That's the first I've heard that he was dropped.
My bad.

I missed the toss for the on the first day and when watching it later the commentators made it sound like the selectors had made four changes to the team ie being dropped.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
1-1 vs a team like South Africa in South Africa is bloody good going. Especially when we've lost the toss on ALL 3 tests so far. All 3 were pretty vital too.
I think we should be excited that we're probably only playing at 70% yet we could easily be 2-1 up.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SpaceMonkey said:
1-1 vs a team like South Africa in South Africa is bloody good going. Especially when we've lost the toss on ALL 3 tests so far. All 3 were pretty vital too.
I think we should be excited that we're probably only playing at 70% yet we could easily be 2-1 up.

Exactly. It isn't like the team is performing at 100% and getting beaten. To have the series level and not playing to potential is a good sign for England. They can only improve, and I'm sure they will, they have a very good captain and the players capable to beat South Africa. When they lose 5 in a row, then it is time for concern. The last thing England need before an Ashes series is the side being messed with. The current team they have has only lost once in a year, cut them a little slack.

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
Certain players were already under pressure before the tour. Butcher and Key were favoured ahead of Bell, and both threw their wickets away at times when there was no need. Personally, I don't mind losing the 3rd test, as it is just another learning curve for a young side and has also shown how well we have played over the last year.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
You English fans are strange lot. Your team has just come off an 8 or 9 test winning streak (which is incredible given the last 15 years or so of english cricket). Yet after this one test loss, I see the knives and daggers are out and all the english players are suddenly hopeless. I also note there were very few suggestions that the opposition actually played well.
i recall the pommy commentators were like this after Australia thumped GB 44-4 in the league tri-nations final last year. gee that was great.

mind you, the extreme success of the aussie cricketers and kangaroos means that the media criticize them a lot because poorer things stand out more. the australian media certainly often reflects poorly on the wider opinion of the australian public when it comes to sport.

Mr Mxyzptlk

For Tests, there was no space. They were hardly going to expose him to Test cricket against the likes of South Africa in South Africa. As for ODIs, he should be there if he's not.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Having said that when Australia lost that last test to India 2 or 3 months ago, You didn't see Australia fans suggesting that suddenly they weren't a great team any more.
Yeah but we blamed everything on the pitch, or atleast our media did!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For Tests, there was no space. They were hardly going to expose him to Test cricket against the likes of South Africa in South Africa. As for ODIs, he should be there if he's not.
Why not? Butcher still throws his wicket away when well set- and scores very slowly, while Rob Key hardly ever gets off to a good start. He can replace one of them, and add an attacking option in the middle order. He's a man in form, and a big-hitter, and he's younger, so he may be worth a try. Besides, he can always take on the change bowlers any time. South Africa's change bowlers are just average and not as effective as Pollock or Ntini. The reserve batsman, Collingwood, has not set the stage on fire as a Test batsman, so Pietersen cannot do much worse.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
Okay then, he's whiny BIG shite......

Don't like him. "I didn't get picked because I'm white, waaah, waaah!!"

No, Kevin, you didn't get picked because your batting at the time was right crap, and the age old SA spin anti-fetish. Bodi was still turning the ball then, and was batting out of his skin, and it would need a pretty borderline insane captain to play 2 spinners at Kingsmead.

Unfortunately he's turned out to be slightly more than half-decent, ah well, our loss. Actually, it's not much of a loss. Good riddance.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Im pretty sure Pieterson wasnt even picked for the one day squad was due to not wanting to **** South Africa off. At least not till the next tour :P

Langeveldt

Soutie
DocHead said:
Okay then, he's whiny BIG shite......

Don't like him. "I didn't get picked because I'm white, waaah, waaah!!"

No, Kevin, you didn't get picked because your batting at the time was right crap, and the age old SA spin anti-fetish. Bodi was still turning the ball then, and was batting out of his skin, and it would need a pretty borderline insane captain to play 2 spinners at Kingsmead.

Unfortunately he's turned out to be slightly more than half-decent, ah well, our loss. Actually, it's not much of a loss. Good riddance.
Exactly man, I don't want guys being picked or not because of the colour of their skin, but Pietersen comes across as a feeble minded tosser who has "jumped the ship" and is always prepared to have a bitch and a moan at SA cricket when the oppertunity arises.. The sad thing is, he was always willing to dig the knife in, but never appreciated why transformation was going on in the first place, and the obvious benifits it has brought SA cricket as it becomes the most multi racial sport in the country..

If he was a fighter and a proud man he would have got stuck in and beat the system through sheer weight of runs. Graeme Smith found no problem with a bit of determination.. And Graeme Smith's are the kinds of individuals SA cricket needs.. Not cop outs, good riddance to him, England are more than welcome to keep him..

Neil Pickup

I wasn't in the least impressed with his having a whinge over not being selected for the SA ODI party. Fast track to Hickdom is likely.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
I wasn't in the least impressed with his having a whinge over not being selected for the SA ODI party. Fast track to Hickdom is likely.
Is it any coincidence that he fell out with Nottinghamshire?? England will do well not to touch him.. Pick a proper competitor like Ian Bell

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
a massive zebra said:
Vaughans last score of 50 + Seven innings ago vs West Indies at The Oval[/URL]
Just says it all really..any other player would of been critised in the press etc for there batting...lucky his captincy is not tooo bad at the mo.....if it wasnt a medis witch hunt would start....lead by Jonathon Agnew and the Daily Mail...lets hope he can hit runs on the good batting track of Joburg

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
Is it any coincidence that he fell out with Nottinghamshire?? England will do well not to touch him.. Pick a proper competitor like Ian Bell
Yes someone that agrees with me...Ian Bell...England were wrong not to bring him to South Africa..its typical the last test in a series ...they play a player..he scores well....or gets wickets ... then is never heard of again in the test team....Kabir Ali 2 seasons ago another example..Bell should be playing instead of Key at the moment....his batting against what was aggressive batting at the Oval was excllent and really played brillaintly for his 70.......hopefully hell play in the summer vs the aussies...but with Butcher being a selectors favourite at the moment i cant see that if he is fit....although we can only hope.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Actually, I think we;ve played badly for 3 Tests now, but the series score is 1-1.
Really?

Don't see where we went wrong in the 1st Test, apart from 1 day out of 5.

2nd Test, I thought we held the edge overall, although both teams had good and bad patches.

In the 3rd Test we were bad throughout.

Don't see how that is 3 Tests.