• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Steulen

International Regular
Some observations after watching the day's play (Go KuduClub!)

1. Does Ntini EVER shut up?
2. Pollock scrambles the seam a lot
3. Boje actually looks like a half-decent bowler
4. Vaughan...ouch...got worked over by Ntini's glare (edge behind not given), wanted to be a bully, got smacked on the bottom
5. Key is lucky Vaughan was a similar culprit, otherwise there would have been a justified murder in the dressing room
6. I have suddenly become a Geoffrey Boycott fan...weird
7. AB De Villiers will be the next great Saffie cricketer
8. Amla will not...more than decent fielder though

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
Freddie has a 'stiffness in the side.'

Worrying.
Watching the highlights on Sky just now. The word from England camp is "24 hours to assess", but in the studio Charles Colville with Stewie & Goochie are talking torn intercostal, which is a 4-6 week job at least. Fred's tour may be over. :(

The trouble is that he's looked our best bowler for the most part, so with Harmy bowling a loada tripe (how ironic that his only wicket was AB De V holing out, shades of the pre-Bangladesh Harmy when that was his preferred method of dismissal) Fred's been overworked. His delivery action looks the sort to put strain on the body & he's known to be a tad fragile. No northern quick worth his salt will turn down a spell, so shoulda been used more sparingly by Vaughan for his own good.

That's without considering the ankle spur!

Will the England camp have courage of convictions & play Collingwood @ no.6 if Fred's crocked? Hmmmm. Tickets for Messers Bell & Lewis already in post! :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Steulen said:
Some observations after watching the day's play (Go KuduClub!)

1. Does Ntini EVER shut up?
2. Pollock scrambles the seam a lot
3. Boje actually looks like a half-decent bowler
4. Vaughan...ouch...got worked over by Ntini's glare (edge behind not given), wanted to be a bully, got smacked on the bottom
5. Key is lucky Vaughan was a similar culprit, otherwise there would have been a justified murder in the dressing room
6. I have suddenly become a Geoffrey Boycott fan...weird
7. AB De Villiers will be the next great Saffie cricketer
8. Amla will not...more than decent fielder though
1) Nope.. In Taunton he was so loud (stood right up on the TV gangtry shouting for hours)
2) Does he?
3) He is a half decent bowler. Better than Giles IMO, not by much though. And he can be a cracking batsman
4) Vaughan was done and dusted. He obviously couldn't live with his conscience when he was not given out.. Lovely to see choking by England and jubilation by SA, not the other way around
5) It wasn't that bad, he was walking down the pitch to play the ball, he didnt heave at it or try and hit it for six. Lovely ball as well
6) Yep, funny guy
7) I have high hopes for this fellow. What a wonderful talent. And a Pretorian from AHS too!
8) I struggle to see a future for him, and I don't want him being a part of the team

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
err, how about this. we have no chance of batting 5 sessions unless it rains. give it up we're not going to be able to chase 500 in the last inning.
All due respect, but go stick it. Never, ever accept defeat until the game is over.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
benchmark00 said:
No offence to any English folk, but i cant stand David Lloyds accent!! its driving me nuts... anyone else agree?, i suppose im talking to non english people... i think i'll have to get used it and stop whinging,lol
Northern accents rock and that's the last word on the matter.

Steulen

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
1)
2) Does he?

To my great surprise, it looks like he does. All of the Pollock deliveries they showed in slo-mo (because something happened) had a red thing happily wobbling towards an England edge. No razorstraight seam kissing the turf and all that.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
All due respect, but go stick it. Never, ever accept defeat until the game is over.
thats the sort of advice you would give you team, and still know deep down that you have no chance. the same with this situation, england never had a hope and they still dont unless the weather intervenes.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
thats the sort of advice you would give you team, and still know deep down that you have no chance. the same with this situation, england never had a hope and they still dont unless the weather intervenes.
Sorry, but yes they do.

It may be small, but there is hope.

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
England could still do it. Who knows, maybe bad light will come into play like the last test?

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Sorry, but yes they do.

It may be small, but there is hope.
of what? jones and thorpe scoring 200s. commone now you know better. has there ever been a team that has had its last 5 wickets bat for 90 overs?

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jones, Thorpe and Giles are all capable of playing out a day between them, even Hoggy could if required.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
It is possible. And no I don't want them getting 200's, I merely want them surviving.
it wont happen, i doubt that its ever happened. it was always impossible once they batted as stupidly as they did in the first inning. IMO it might be a tough decision, but surely there should be at least some scrutiny about vaughan remaining captain.

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
Michael Vaughn's Captaincy? We haven't lost in a year, and when we're in a spot of bother he's the worst captain? His leadership is a major factor as to why England are raked number 2.