• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
do you know that the SA side between 96-99 were considered to be more talented than the australian one? if it werent for their unnecessary choking against australia, they would have hammered australia straight. go ahead and compare the talent from both sides.
South Africa was a much better one day side than Australia 96-99. Doesnt mean they had more star players as whole.

South Africa had Gibbs, Kirsten, Cullinan, Kallis, Pollock, Cronje, Klusener, Boucher/Richardson, Symcox, Boje, Donald roughly. You may include/exclude the likes of Mcmillan

Australia had M.Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting, D.Martyn, S.Waugh, Bevan, Warne, Gillespie, McGrath and two other players you may add. Thats nine players right there!

Now Cronje or Symcox do fade in comparison to Waguh and Warne.

South Africa was a superb side but not as many star players.

biased indian

International Coach
tooextracool said:
do you know that the SA side between 96-99 were considered to be more talented than the australian one? if it werent for their unnecessary choking against australia, they would have hammered australia straight. go ahead and compare the talent from both sides.
australians atleast didnt choke they where bette in that one for sure

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
South Africa was a much better one day side than Australia 96-99. Doesnt mean they had more star players as whole.

South Africa had Gibbs, Kirsten, Cullinan, Kallis, Pollock, Cronje, Klusener, Boucher/Richardson, Symcox, Boje, Donald roughly. You may include/exclude the likes of Mcmillan

Australia had M.Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting, D.Martyn, S.Waugh, Bevan, Warne, Gillespie, McGrath and two other players you may add. Thats nine players right there!

Now Cronje or Symcox do fade in comparison to Waguh and Warne.

South Africa was a superb side but not as many star players.
hold on a second here.
gilchrist made his debut in 99/00, so including him in the period between 96-99 is really ludicrous. bevan as we all struggled in test matches, so again not much quality there. martyn didnt play a single test between 94 and 00 so really again a strange inclusion. ponting as we all know was far less capable as a batsman then he is now. their batting actually consisted of the likes blewett, elliott, hayden(and we all know how rubbish he was), and taylor, neither of whom were brilliant.
meanwhile almost every player in that SA side is world class- kirsten, cullinan, cronje, kluesener(was), pollock(in his prime), kallis(bowling prime), donald(prime), rhodes and even mcmillan were world class.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well, one day a side will score 500 in the 4th innings to win a test match, but I can't see it happening over the next 48 hours. I doubt whether England will get within 200 of their target.

tooextracool

International Coach
brilliant, and tresco goes first ball.
perhaps we should focus about batting through today instead of thinking about tomorrow.

edit: ok 2nd ball, first ball i watched though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why? Tactically it's the best plan at times. Depending on the state of the pitch and quality of opposition, it could be unwise to enforce the follow on.
At times. Those are the key words.

When it is ALL THE TIME, it cant be termed tactical ?

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No offence to any English folk, but i cant stand David Lloyds accent!! its driving me nuts... anyone else agree?, i suppose im talking to non english people... i think i'll have to get used it and stop whinging,lol

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
i dont doubt they do... but us meaning two, and you like him, making 1 of us......
Now which of the Play School windows are we going to look through today? Oooh, Arch! Arch!