• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
wow there is a lot of paranoia flying around.

All I said was it was a shame Flintoff wasnt playing..England really could have done with him in there.

I am not implying SA havent deserved the series win..I do think a team with Flintoff in may have tipped the balance more towards England..more from the bowling side of things really.

I am sure even SA fans watching would have loved to see Flintoff playing in the series
On the face of it, it's tempting to see how Flintoff's presence may have changed a couple of the results. However, it's easily forgotten that if Flintoff had played then Pietersen wouldn't as he only flew out as a replacement for Fred. Overall, I reckon SA have thoroughly deserved it. If nothing else, England have been far too dependant on one batsman, whereas SA have been able to call on several guys to put in the critical innings when needed.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fatigue has been a massive factor in this ODI series I think, most of the success has come from players who've not done a great deal in the Test series or didn't play in them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Which is basically the whole SA XI ;)
That hurts marc.. :)

Oh well, looking forward to tomorrows match from pretoria, with the series decided i hope the boys play some attractive cricket, and the rains keep away

Cloudy with 30% chance of thundershowers, just

chris.hinton

International Captain
Oh well South Africa win the Series 3-1 then

we got to get back to basis against the Aussies and erm Bangladesh (No problem really)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone want to do a reassessment of all the test matches played over the last 130 years based on which players were missing from which test match due to injury etc etc (starting with WG from the first ever test match) and then decide who was the real winner in each test, series etc ??

If not, can we can this nonsense about talking of missing players every time someone loses a series.

I dont see it any better than talking of umpiring mistakes or wickets suiting home side etc.

This is most unbecoming of true lovers of the game.

I am sorry if it sounds like lecturing but really, a game is played between two sides available on that day. One of these teams has to win and the other lose..PERIOD !!

Scaly piscine

SJS said:
Does anyone want to do a reassessment of all the test matches played over the last 130 years based on which players were missing from which test match due to injury etc etc (starting with WG from the first ever test match) and then decide who was the real winner in each test, series etc ??

If not, can we can this nonsense about talking of missing players every time someone loses a series.

I dont see it any better than talking of umpiring mistakes or wickets suiting home side etc.

This is most unbecoming of true lovers of the game.

I am sorry if it sounds like lecturing but really, a game is played between two sides available on that day. One of these teams has to win and the other lose..PERIOD !!
Err fine, just don't end statements with Americanisms...

Scaly piscine

Another ton for Pietersen, knew someone would beat me by a few seconds...

Amazing turn-around in this innings anyway, even if SA chase it down later.