• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
What was that supposed to mean? Making excuses? I hope not..

wow there is a lot of paranoia flying around.

All I said was it was a shame Flintoff wasnt playing..England really could have done with him in there.

I am not implying SA havent deserved the series win..I do think a team with Flintoff in may have tipped the balance more towards England..more from the bowling side of things really.

I am sure even SA fans watching would have loved to see Flintoff playing in the series

Swervy

International Captain
Talking of Flintoff, I was wondering what the set up for the England ODI would be wit him in there.

I dont think the G Jones opening experiment has worked...and with Flintoff in, England would have a powerful batting line up. Would England really need the extra batting prowess of Jones in there then,would Chris Read, the better keeper be a better option.

Maybe a team like this:
1. Tresco
2.Strauss (I think thats where he should be in ODIs)
3.Vaughan
4.Pietersen
5.Flintoff
6.Collingwood
7.Read
8.Giles
9.Wharf
10. Ali
11.Harmison/Hoggard or whoever

thats a pretty deep batting line up...with Collingwood as a 6th bowler,or even with Collingwood as the 5th bowler, put Bell in at say 4,and shift KP,Flintoff etc down one so read is at 8.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Swervy said:
Talking of Flintoff, I was wondering what the set up for the England ODI would be wit him in there.

I dont think the G Jones opening experiment has worked...and with Flintoff in, England would have a powerful batting line up. Would England really need the extra batting prowess of Jones in there then,would Chris Read, the better keeper be a better option.

Maybe a team like this:
1. Tresco
3.Vaughan
4.Pietersen
5.Flintoff
6.Collingwood
7.Read
8.Giles
9.Wharf
10. Ali

thats a pretty deep batting line up...with Collingwood as a 6th bowler,or even with Collingwood as the 5th bowler, put Bell in at say 4,and shift KP,Flintoff etc down one so read is at 8.
Gough has to be in there surely?

biased indian

International Coach
A guy from our part of the world have created a new system which he cliam will remove the deffects in D/L and ICC has now allowed BCCI to use it in domestic cricket on experimental basis.his name is jayadevan

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
Would England really need the extra batting prowess of Jones in there then,would Chris Read, the better keeper be a better option.
I'm not so sure Jones has the extra batting prowess in ODIs

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
A guy from our part of the world have created a new system which he cliam will remove the deffects in D/L and ICC has now allowed BCCI to use it in domestic cricket on experimental basis.his name is jayadevan

I'm unsure what these these defects are.

The only articles I could find came from before the change was made that ironed out the kink when chasing big scores and being none down after 25 overs.

twctopcat

International Regular
With Jones moving so much further down the order in the near future to perhaps 7 or 8, i wonder when the talk of Chris Read will return.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
quite true..and certainly not in the opening slot anyway
He actually averages more as an opener than down the order, against the decent teams anyway.
Basic fact of the matter is Read is very, very clearly a better one-day batsman than Jones and it's only this infuriating game-form-blurring that saw Read dropped from the ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:

Maybe a team like this:
1. Tresco
3.Vaughan
4.Pietersen
5.Flintoff
6.Collingwood
7.Read
8.Giles
9.Wharf
10. Ali

Something, at least, is coming together...
Trescothick
? (maybe Strauss)
? (maybe Bell)
AN Other
Pietersen
Flintoff
Read
Ealham
AN Other (possibly - just possibly - Kabir Ali)
Gough
AN Other
Still struggling to see where the decent bowlers are going to come from.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Something, at least, is coming together...
Trescothick
? (maybe Strauss)
? (maybe Bell)
AN Other
Pietersen
Flintoff
Read
Ealham
AN Other (possibly - just possibly - Kabir Ali)
Gough
AN Other
Still struggling to see where the decent bowlers are going to come from.
yeah the main problem is that other pace bowler.harmison showed signs in the summer of being able to cope,but that is still a bit of an unknown.

Ealham??? mmmm...dont know about that, England have got to be looking to the World Cup,much rather Collingwood be in there

One thing is for sure, the pieces are coming together,which ,for England in ODI, is saying something

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
biased indian said:
The Jayadevan system's been around for ages.

The difference is a different set of tables that's probably more suited to scoring patterns in the subcontinent/India.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's also worth remembering that the D/L system has been slightly modified since that article was written. The standard tables have been tweaked somewhat, and the professional edition introduced for totals above 235.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
wow there is a lot of paranoia flying around.

All I said was it was a shame Flintoff wasnt playing..England really could have done with him in there.

I am not implying SA havent deserved the series win..I do think a team with Flintoff in may have tipped the balance more towards England..more from the bowling side of things really.

I am sure even SA fans watching would have loved to see Flintoff playing in the series
Okay fair enough, sorry I got the wrong end of the stick lol