• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
says cricinfo:
That`s the end off the South African innings and they finished on
211 all out , so England will have a target off 212 runs off 48
overs to win

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
Wouldn't it go into extra detail (ie it would be something like 212.9999999999994 to tie so 213 to win) for calculating England's target?
Yes, it does - it's something like 213.3 to tie, which is always rounded down.

Neil Pickup

andyc said:
says cricinfo:
That`s the end off the South African innings and they finished on
211 all out , so England will have a target off 212 runs off 48
overs to win
I can guarantee you that that's wrong!

Sky's not said anything yet.

Neil Pickup

Sky says 213... I dispute that ;)

Not complaining though. Certainly closer than dimwit Botham, who thought it would be going down because South Africa were bowled out. Muppet.

Neil Pickup

I don't dispute it any more, I just read the wrong line of the table.

I now have a bit more sympathy for Boucher and Pollock :D

Neil Pickup

Okay, for those of you interested - full working through of the D/L alterations:

South Africa
With 3 wickets and 7.2 overs left, they had 15.5% of their "resources" left
With 3 wickets and 5.2 overs left, they had 13.0% of their "resources" left
So, they lost 2.5% of their "resources"

England
With 10 wickets and 48.0 overs left, they had 98.1% of their "resources" left
So, they lost 1.9% of their "resources"

So, England have lost fewer "resources" than South Africa did (SA lost two slog overs), so should score more - this means the par score is adjusted by being multiplied by (98.1/97.5 = 1.006)

South Africa's 211 × 1.006 = 212.3, which is rounded down to 212 to tie.
Add one to the "tie" score to get the target to win: 213

EDIT: Excel spreadsheet of the tables attached

Attachments

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wow. i imagine messrs duckworth and lewis must have either been really smart, or had way too much time on their hands. anyone know how it was before the system came in?

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Geraint, that shot was truly horrific. Really, truly, horrific. Straight from the Bacher book.

Here comes the rain once more... *Gets tables out again*.

We've got 84.0% of our resources left now, by the way.

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Geraint, that shot was truly horrific. Really, truly, horrific. Straight from the Bacher book.

Here comes the rain once more... *Gets tables out again*.

We've got 84.0% of our resources left now, by the way.
so does that mean,as the England innings is so fresh (4th over), Englands target may actually be increased?????

Neil Pickup

andyc said:
wow. i imagine messrs duckworth and lewis must have either been really smart, or had way too much time on their hands. anyone know how it was before the system came in?
It was an absolute disaster. Things like removing the lowest scoring two overs of the innings (23 off 13 balls suddenly becomes 22 off 1 - google England SA World Cup 92), or just run rate adjustments - which were unfair due to the run-rates involved.

Clearly, if team A makes 280 off their 50 overs, that's a good total. However, a net run-rate adjustment would reduce that to 132 off 20 if the rains knocked off thirty overs, and that's not a tough ask (DL would set 159 off 20).

Neil Pickup

Swervy said:
so does that mean,as the England innings is so fresh (4th over), Englands target may actually be increased?????
No, all we'll do is lose resources. This will mean that the target is scaled down with respect to the resources we lost. If we lose 10%, our target will become 90% of what it was before.

And shut up Botham, you don't understand the method at all.

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
It was an absolute disaster. Things like removing the lowest scoring two overs of the innings (23 off 13 balls suddenly becomes 22 off 1 - google England SA World Cup 92), or just run rate adjustments - which were unfair due to the run-rates involved.

Clearly, if team A makes 280 off their 50 overs, that's a good total. However, a net run-rate adjustment would reduce that to 132 off 20 if the rains knocked off thirty overs, and that's not a tough ask (DL would set 159 off 20).
yeah some of the methods in the past were poor...

20 years ago it was just on basic run rate.

I remember this one when i was a kid...i was well wound up by it coz Pakistan deserved to win,but WI pipped it by one wicket....

Can anyone work out what WI's total would have been if DL had have been going then

http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard_ODI.asp?MatchCode=0184