• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given the flood warnings and the way England get stuffed by conditions most of the time I reckon it'll be rained off...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Def not just a passing shower. Gower just said it looks like Pietersen now may not get a chance to bat in fron of his hometown (ish) crowd.

Arrgghh!

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Latest action:

1221 GMT: Kevin Pietersen sings his heart out during the English national anthem with family and friends watching at what used to be his home ground

:D
I saw the interview on sky with his parents who seemed like thoroughly top people, and were so supportive of the SA boys and Kevin as well..

I wish I was that compassionate :)

Don't South Africa have a bit of a case for playing their cricket in their mild dry winters?? Im getting a bit fed up of this weather, but SA could well escape with the series win tonight

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
andyc said:
wow. only two overs lost, that seems quite small
D/N nature of the game allows them to play an extra hour without truncation of overs. There'll be a small D/L adjustment, but really not much.

andyc

Neil Pickup said:
D/N nature of the game allows them to play an extra hour without truncation of overs. There'll be a small D/L adjustment, but really not much.
none at all now, says cricinfo.

EDIT: wait, now cricinfo says its back to 48 overs per side.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
i would take a guess that you could probably add ten to the SA score for Englands target

Neil Pickup

Yay, Saffies self-destructing. Colly and Strauss doing a damn good job of boundary riding.

My understanding of the D/L method is that SA have lost 3% of their resource, so multiply their final total by 100/97 = 1.031 to get the revised par score.

Neil Pickup

Neil Pickup said:
Yay, Saffies self-destructing. Colly and Strauss doing a damn good job of boundary riding.

My understanding of the D/L method is that SA have lost 3% of their resource, so multiply their final total by 100/97 = 1.031 to get the revised par score.
And then you need to multiply that by 0.981 to re-adjust for England's lost allowance... so to tie England will need 1.011 times South Africa's score!

andyc

Neil Pickup said:
Maximum credit for that slower bal, though.

211 * 1.011 = 213 to tie.
cricinfo says its just going to be 48 overs per side. whatever it is, i imagine england should reach it easily. but where did you learn the d/l method?

Neil Pickup

There's plenty of stuff on the Internet about it, whack it into Google and find out the exactitudes of the methodology. It's all about innings resources remaining. You can also find the tables in their entireity and then do your calculations off that.

I could look a right tit if it's not 214 to win now, couldn't I?

andyc

Neil Pickup said:
There's plenty of stuff on the Internet about it, whack it into Google and find out the exactitudes of the methodology. It's all about innings resources remaining. You can also find the tables in their entireity and then do your calculations off that.

lol yeah, you could. well, tit, smarta*se, and/or just plain idiot :p.

Scaly piscine

Neil Pickup said:

Wouldn't it go into extra detail (ie it would be something like 212.9999999999994 to tie so 213 to win) for calculating England's target?