• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Langeveldt

Soutie
DocHead said:
But he was never any good as an offie. Geez, I hate that bugger, and he was born in my hometown, oh the shame!
Exactly, who was he outclassed by, Goolam Bodi??

Comes across as a bit of a whinger, oh well, if he wants to be fully English he's started nicely :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
So is Butcher out, if so then Pietersen should play in front of Bell and Key.
Why?

Bell is ahead of him in the Test stakes, and before this series, Key was ahead of Bell.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would be ridiculous to displace Bell from next in line based on Pieterson's ODI form. Let's play a game... one of these players (Bell and Pieterson) has actually performed before in a Test match...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seems to me that South Africans are doing rather more whinging than any Englishman over the Pietersen issue. It also fascinates me that the people wait until Pietersen is actually good to care that he's left. Extremely childish.

Go Pietersen!

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Why?

Bell is ahead of him in the Test stakes, and before this series, Key was ahead of Bell.
Just because Bell might look more techincally better as a Test Player doesn't mean he will have success aganist Australia. I just think that KP has the game to be effective aganist the Australians. Both KP and Bell have been given an oppertunity to show what they can do on the world stage, and who has done more KP or Bell? If Bell can't score runs aganist South Africa, regardless of the fact that it is ODI, what is the chances of him scoring runs aganist Australia.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
Exactly, who was he outclassed by, Goolam Bodi??

Comes across as a bit of a whinger, oh well, if he wants to be fully English he's started nicely :)
Ja, he was outclassed at the time by Bodi, who was batting really well, on the verge of a national call up, and the #1 spinner in the Dolphins lineup by a clear margin.

The people who are griping most tend not to realise that he was nowhere near the level he is now, it's not as if Natal saw this guy plonking the ball over the boundary and averaging 48. His batting average for Natal was 9ish, and his bowling average must've been quite close to 40. He wanted to be assured of a place in the team, you simply can't do that with those stats.

He decided to up and leave, which I'm fine with. I certainly don't hate him 'cos he left. I think he's a plonker because he somehow feels he was hard done by SA cricket and doesn't miss an opportunity to gripe and whinge about it. The overblown badge kissing and stoking the crowd after the catch was just the most recent.

If we were as petty as all that, don't you think guys like Andrew Strauss & Mehrtens would be kopping that kind of stick as well?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
DocHead said:
He decided to up and leave, which I'm fine with. I certainly don't hate him 'cos he left. I think he's a plonker because he somehow feels he was hard done by SA cricket and doesn't miss an opportunity to gripe and whinge about it. The overblown badge kissing and stoking the crowd after the catch was just the most recent.

If we were as petty as all that, don't you think guys like Andrew Strauss & Mehrtens would be kopping that kind of stick as well?
Rathbone copped a fair bit too, TBF.

I do think there's a difference between guys like Mehrtens & Strauss who left SA as kids & blokes like KP & Rathbone (& Catt, Abbott, Horak, Stevens, de Villiers, Liebenberg, Vickerman, Luscombe, Payne, etc) who are obviously Saffies and who left for other reasons.

With KP it's definitely a two-way street; he seems determined to give as good as he gets & fair play to him. Better to have a bloke who stands up to pressure than one who crumples under it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
If Bell can't score runs aganist South Africa, regardless of the fact that it is ODI, what is the chances of him scoring runs aganist Australia.
Because ODI and Tests require different batting?

Because so far how many real chances has Bell had to bat when coming in at 6 or 7?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because ODI and Tests require different batting?

Because so far how many real chances has Bell had to bat when coming in at 6 or 7?
Well he didn't bat in the 1st game, 2nd game (11*), 3rd game (13) and 4th game (2). Two oppertunity to show that he is a better batsmen then KP and failed both times. He might of had one good test innings, but KP has a better 1st Class record also (ave of 54 compared to Bell's 42).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
The third game was at the death, utterly unfair to make any judgments based on that.
Fair enough but froming watching Bell's 70 compared to KP 100 and two 50s , it is pretty clear who is the better batsmen and who would do better aganist the Australian bowling attack.

shaka

International Regular
delay in start to the fifth ODI between the sides, due to overnight rain. Helicopter being used to dry out the field and pitch.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Well he didn't bat in the 1st game, 2nd game (11*), 3rd game (13) and 4th game (2). Two oppertunity to show that he is a better batsmen then KP and failed both times. He might of had one good test innings, but KP has a better 1st Class record also (ave of 54 compared to Bell's 42).
The problem with just looking at their overall FC record is it ignores how they've developed and more recent form, and Bell improved significantly and did much better than KP in 2004. We won't know whether that's a oneoff or a genuine step up in performance until this summer, I suppose, but just looking at overall FC averages isn't enough.

twctopcat

International Regular
Solanki comes in for bell while captain marvel keeps his spot, what an idiot. Harmison loses his spot, can't say i'm too surprised.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
The problem with just looking at their overall FC record is it ignores how they've developed and more recent form, and Bell improved significantly and did much better than KP in 2004. We won't know whether that's a oneoff or a genuine step up in performance until this summer, I suppose, but just looking at overall FC averages isn't enough.
Very true and I'm all for a bit of consistency with selection too.

Also I think our most likely-to-be-available spot is no 3. Bell certainly looks more of a "3" than KP. Of course Vaughan may go to 3 now as his batting @ 4 was primarily a mechanism to accomodate Butcher/Key @ 3.

There is a lot of cricket to be played between now & the first Ashes test, so I don't want to make any rash predictions, but KP is looking to the manor born & Bell hasn't really done anything wrong, so I think it would be counter-intuitive to go back to Butch or Fat Bob rather than giving one of them a go in the Bangladesh tests.