• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Looks like 1-0 to England, I suppose it's good they came off - all those angry South Africans (seems like all South Africans are angry) charging onto the pitch as Pietersen smashes the winning runs wouldn't have been good.
No dear, we're not all angry 8-) Just giving England a bit of stick back for all the negative comments about Graeme Smith. :p BTW congrats on the win, England. We played poorly except for Polly. Nearly won it for us all on his ownsome. :-O Bowled superbly and was the only one on our side who remembered what a bat was for!! :)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adam Bacher has just surpassed Michael Papps in my "worst batsman I've seen playing International cricket" stakes. What in the name of Thami Tsolekile was he doing? Why was he playing? Not that I'm desperately bothered, though...

Thoroughly enjoyed the spell this afternoon between Nel and Pietersen, the five or so overs after he came to the wicket - gripping stuff :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
Adam Bacher has just surpassed Michael Papps in my "worst batsman I've seen playing International cricket" stakes. What in the name of Thami Tsolekile was he doing? Why was he playing? Not that I'm desperately bothered, though...
A couple of absolutely and completely unrelated random facts:

1) Adam Bacher is the nephew of Dr Ali Bacher;

2) The word nepotism comes from the Latin word nepos, meaning "nephew". This derives from the historical tendency for Catholic popes and bishops to raise their illegitimate sons as "nephews" and to give them preference. 8-)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Weight of runs in the domestic game for the last few seasons apparently!
Makes you wonder what a state it is in :)

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Can you put two and two together and realise why the SA cricket public don't like him?
as long as petersen can handle the pressure and do well for the rest of the series (and his career), i ave no problem with the stick he gets. from some of the shots he played today, i think the Saffies are just bitter that he has turned into such a good player[he seems a good player anyway]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wpdavid said:
Did you hear about the press conference where Matthew Maynard was asked why Hoggard had been added to the squad? His reply was that it would be crazy to jetison the bowler who had Smith hiding in the middle order. Not very diplomatic

Who gives a toss about diplomacy - Smith's hardly the most tactful himself!

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
According to cricinfo SA haven't beaten a team in an ODI other than Bangladesh or Zimbabwe since last February. As for SA having so many players of class, they also have players like Bacher and Prince who would make England's least established 2 players - Kabir Ali and Ian Bell look like World beaters.
OOOOIIIII!!!!!!! :@ :@ :@ :@ :@

Ian Bell is one of the most organised and talented batsmen in England at the moment and has all the ability to turn into a world beater and should be in the England IX for the 1st test of the Ashes batting at no.3

Cheers,

SK

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpaceMonkey said:
Weight of runs in the domestic game for the last few seasons apparently!
Makes you wonder what a state it is in :)
Makes my point about Domestic runs being less significant compared to how they're made.

Fortunately England no longer apply weight as the sole criteria.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpeedKing said:
Ian Bell is one of the most organised and talented batsmen in England at the moment and has all the ability to turn into a world beater and should be in the England IX for the 1st test of the Ashes batting at no.3

Come on, we all know Australia are rapidly going downhill and will be a walkover in the Ashes, but we should at least be respectful enough to play 11 against them!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SpeedKing said:

Cheers,

SK
Hey, we're good, but still reckon we need an England XI! ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
SpeedKing said:

Cheers,

SK
Theres some Aussie confidance making its way into this English side :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Ah Neil, never one to pass judgment after seeing the guy bat once :)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Ah Neil, never one to pass judgment after seeing the guy bat once :)
Better than judging before seeing him bat at all... but, still, it was just so wrong on so many levels! I'd be livid f my U13s played that kind of shot... I hope Ray Jennings ate him.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lets just say I hope they don't drop him on one performance.. He is the only player I who has played in the first match I ever saw, and the latest one, with nothing in between..

Langeveldt

Soutie
jot1 said:
No dear, we're not all angry 8-) Just giving England a bit of stick back for all the negative comments about Graeme Smith. :p BTW congrats on the win, England. We played poorly except for Polly. Nearly won it for us all on his ownsome. :-O Bowled superbly and was the only one on our side who remembered what a bat was for!! :)
Did you go to the game?

Langeveldt

Soutie
jot1 said:
Yes, but left before the storm hit. The wind was awsome, blew all our stuff away! :-O
So i gathered.. Im looking for places to learn to fly when I go back to SA.. When is the weather on the Highveld nice and calm? Pretoria was always rough at one time or another weather wise when I was last there..

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
So i gathered.. Im looking for places to learn to fly when I go back to SA.. When is the weather on the Highveld nice and calm? Pretoria was always rough at one time or another weather wise when I was last there..
Winter months are best (July to Aug). Mainly clear skies, very little or no wind, lots of sunshine. Temperature averages about 19 to 21 celsius during the daytime. Seldom rains and no electrical storms at all. :D