• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Hey, we're good, but still reckon we need an England XI! ;)
sorry typo, i was just caught in the mood when someone decided to label bell substandard. it really annoys me. :@

hopefully, bell won't prove me wrong and make me look like a fool

***crosses finger..... on both hands.... and tries to do the same on toes***

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Adam Bacher has just surpassed Michael Papps in my "worst batsman I've seen playing International cricket" stakes. What in the name of Thami Tsolekile was he doing? Why was he playing? Not that I'm desperately bothered, though...
and rikki clarke is bradman......no one sane would say that papps is the worst batsman they've ever seen.

tooextracool

International Coach
nope SA have been in decline ever since they lost cronje, after that , the gradual loss of players - donald, g kirsten, klusener(pretty much), cullinan, pollock(past his prime) and rhodes resulted in them getting worse by the day. not to mention of course the baffling continual selections of mckenzie and dippenaar.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SpeedKing said:
sorry typo, i was just caught in the mood when someone decided to label bell substandard. it really annoys me. :@

hopefully, bell won't prove me wrong and make me look like a fool

***crosses finger..... on both hands.... and tries to do the same on toes***
He wasn't labelled substandard, he was used an example of one of the two 'least established players' in the England side and compared favourably with Prince & Bacher for SA.

Swervy

International Captain
Marius said:
I was at the game on Sun, gave Pietersen some stick :D Just called him traitor, asked him if he could still speak Afrikaans, and then swore at him in the language :) . He seemed to take it quite well though. Got wet through walking back to the car when the storm hit though. I just hope our boys can pull it through and give the Poms some competition.
yeah brilliant...abusing players when they have no way of retaliating with probably putting their careers on the line...very big of you....

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Tell me one I've watched who's worse, then.
i believe the name has been mentioned in the quote you just used.
and papps isnt by any means a 'poor' batsman, hes a batsman with potential.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
yeah brilliant...abusing players when they have no way of retaliating with probably putting their careers on the line...very big of you....
Almost as bad as abusing a cricketing fraternity you wouldn't lift one leg up for isn't it?
It's time for weak boy to show he can take it.. I will give him credit if he flourishes..

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Ever seen Matsikenyeri? Sibanda?
I can name so many players worse than Bacher it is unreal...
anthony mcgrath comes to mind,as does ian ward when he was picked(Whether or not he has improved since then is irrelevant),not to mention players like vikram rathore, sujith somasundar(who btw is the single worst batsman ive ever seen), devang gandhi,darren maddy and the like.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil would probably come up with the fact that McGrath occasionally bowls, meaning he is an all rounder, and so can't be worse than Bacher, who is a batsman.. The funny thing is, McGrath is a laughably rubbish bowler as well!

Aftab Habib?
Jehan Mubarak?

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Almost as bad as abusing a cricketing fraternity you wouldn't lift one leg up for isn't it?
It's time for weak boy to show he can take it.. I will give him credit if he flourishes..
??

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
i believe the name has been mentioned in the quote you just used.
and papps isnt by any means a 'poor' batsman, hes a batsman with potential.
When I saw him, I was less impressed than I was with Bacher. Close, but Papps' footwork and hands were iffy almost all the time. I'd rate McGrath above both and have never seen Matsi, Sibanda, Habib, Mubarak, Somasunder, Rathore, Gandhi... plus Maddy was aged 12 or so and I can't remember. So I stick to Papps.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
When I saw him, I was less impressed than I was with Bacher. Close, but Papps' footwork and hands were iffy almost all the time. I'd rate McGrath above both and have never seen Matsi, Sibanda, Habib, Mubarak, Somasunder, Rathore, Gandhi... plus Maddy was aged 12 or so and I can't remember. So I stick to Papps.
But you only saw Bacher for all of 10 minutes.. Its like rating Tendulkar based on an off day and a rubbish dismissal.. You can't do it with anyone in my book..

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
But you only saw Bacher for all of 10 minutes.. Its like rating Tendulkar based on an off day and a rubbish dismissal.. You can't do it with anyone in my book..
Still rates below everyone else, though, doesn't it? :p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
what has pollock done wrong? best bowler and best batsman for SA in the last game
You appear to have misunderstood him - he meant the onset of the decline seems to coincide with getting rid of Pollock (as captain, I assume).

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Yea, I guess we all should rate Bacher on his Test and ODI record...

Tests: 833 runs @ 26.03, ODIs: 172 @ 19.11, SR of 55.12

Oh well, he's rubbish either way.