• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Duncan

U19 Debutant
South Africa has been completely outclassed by England. England is by far the number two team and might even stand a chance against Australia in the Ashes. How come South Africa is so mediocre nowadays? They used to be number two for a long time. I know they lost Donald and a few others but they also gained people like Smith.

twctopcat

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
I'll give him that.. He batted nicely, glad to see we got stuck in though so credit to him for surviving..

Other than that, he is right up there with Robert Mugabe, Attention seekers, Muralitharan and noisy eaters for the five things that make me really angry
Didn't realise you were that fickle!!

biased indian

International Coach
Duncan said:
South Africa has been completely outclassed by England. England is by far the number two team and might even stand a chance against Australia in the Ashes. How come South Africa is so mediocre nowadays? They used to be number two for a long time. I know they lost Donald and a few others but they also gained people like Smith.
when was ashes changed to a ODI series

Langeveldt

Soutie
Duncan said:
Im tempted to point the finger at getting rid of Pollock, as well as the onset of Jennings.. Nobody with the class of Kallis, Pollock, Gibbs, Smith etc. should be losing to England without Flintoff..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Yeah well, as it usually keeps a promising English youngster from playing, long may it continue!
If the youngster is good enough, he'll be playing.

If he's not good enough to get in a county side, he's no loss Internationally.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Duncan said:

They lost more than just Donald - they lost an entire middle order.

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Im tempted to point the finger at getting rid of Pollock, as well as the onset of Jennings.. Nobody with the class of Kallis, Pollock, Gibbs, Smith etc. should be losing to England without Flintoff..
and yet strangely enough, the England team of todays game,even on paper, looks like a match for the South Africans.

You can have the players of the class of Kallis etc, but in the one day game, England have players of equal class I think.

Anyway this was only one game. On the whole England looked the better team, but this is a long one day series.SA should be considered faves, due to experience in this form of the game and home field advantage.

If SA dont win, then something is badly wrong, esp as Flintoff isnt playing

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swervy said:
and yet strangely enough, the England team of todays game,even on paper, looks like a match for the South Africans.

You can have the players of the class of Kallis etc, but in the one day game, England have players of equal class I think.

Anyway this was only one game. On the whole England looked the better team, but this is a long one day series.SA should be considered faves, due to experience in this form of the game and home field advantage.

If SA dont win, then something is badly wrong, esp as Flintoff isnt playing
According to cricinfo SA haven't beaten a team in an ODI other than Bangladesh or Zimbabwe since last February. As for SA having so many players of class, they also have players like Bacher and Prince who would make England's least established 2 players - Kabir Ali and Ian Bell look like World beaters.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Scaly piscine said:
According to cricinfo SA haven't beaten a team in an ODI other than Bangladesh or Zimbabwe since last February. As for SA having so many players of class, they also have players like Bacher and Prince who would make England's least established 2 players - Kabir Ali and Ian Bell look like World beaters.
hahaha....., maybe in time they will be lol

Swervy

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
I agree,I think England are much stronger in depth

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I think we can probably all see the shortcomings of the "quota" system, however laudable its intentions are.

I do think Pietersen may have been better advised to keep his council on the subject, but after all it was impacting on his livelihood.

To draw a crass analogy Pietersen has left SA for broadly the same reasons as D'Oliveira did: to play test cricket.
To be fair, D'Oliveira left to play first class cricket, plus the opportunity to live in a country where he wasn't systematically treated like dirt due to the colour of his skin. The tests were a bonus.

Regarding KP, I've not been impressed by his tendancy to publicly moan in a couple of interviews (first about SA quotas, subsequently about initially not being picked for this tour) but, as you suggested the other day, I'm warming to him given the amount of vitriol he's getting from the locals. Nice to see him seeing us home today. Good to see Vaughan getting some runs, as well.

As for the Saffies, I have no idea why Bacher was recalled to replace de Villiers. Nice of them as far as we were concerned, but a bizarre call. Did you hear about the press conference where Matthew Maynard was asked why Hoggard had been added to the squad? His reply was that it would be crazy to jetison the bowler who had Smith hiding in the middle order. Not very diplomatic, and I gather GC wasn't thrilled, but next thing we see is Smith opening today, albeit briefly. Nice one MM!

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
wpdavid said:
Did you hear about the press conference where Matthew Maynard was asked why Hoggard had been added to the squad? His reply was that it would be crazy to jetison the bowler who had Smith hiding in the middle order. Not very diplomatic, and I gather GC wasn't thrilled, but next thing we see is Smith opening today, albeit briefly. Nice one MM!
:p :D That was classic! :laugh:

Whos GC btw? GS?

Langeveldt

Soutie
wpdavid said:
Regarding KP, I've not been impressed by his tendancy to publicly moan in a couple of interviews (first about SA quotas, subsequently about initially not being picked for this tour) but, as you suggested the other day, I'm warming to him given the amount of vitriol he's getting from the locals.
Can you put two and two together and realise why the SA cricket public don't like him?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Can you put two and two together and realise why the SA cricket public don't like him?
I'm not asking them to like him, even if his crime does seem to be saying something about the quota system that a lot of them agree with anyway. Obviously they're free to think whatever they want of the guy, and I don't 100% disagree with them, but most of us can draw a line between disliking someone and dishing out the level of unpleasantness we're hearing about this week.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
To be fair, D'Oliveira left to play first class cricket, plus the opportunity to live in a country where he wasn't systematically treated like dirt due to the colour of his skin. The tests were a bonus.

As for the Saffies, I have no idea why Bacher was recalled to replace de Villiers. Nice of them as far as we were concerned, but a bizarre call. Did you hear about the press conference where Matthew Maynard was asked why Hoggard had been added to the squad? His reply was that it would be crazy to jetison the bowler who had Smith hiding in the middle order. Not very diplomatic, and I gather GC wasn't thrilled, but next thing we see is Smith opening today, albeit briefly. Nice one MM!
I hadn't heard that, kwality stuff! :D At the rate he's going at the moment I'm starting to wonder how long young Graeme is going to be given; he's a conservative captain (at best), he's batting like a drain at the moment (for an opener he's very uneasy with a swinging new ball, which is where Hoggy comes in!) & his overall behaviour has been short of what I expect of a test captain. I simply couldn't believe he gave evidence against Vaughan at that hearing.

With D'Oliveira you're right of course; he came to blighty in his late 20s to play league cricket in Lancs & his talent took him to the very top of our game. Have you read Peter Oborne's bio? Certainly an eye-opener! The level of collusion between the MCC & Vorster's govt was quite alarming. It paints Gubby Allen in a rather unfavourable light.