• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
AB seems nervous, get freddy on now.
.... or Giles, remembering the 1st innings. Mind you, it would be cruel if he didn't make it this time.

The runrate still isn't special, given the circumstances. If they'd been more adventurous after the first hour, they could easily have set over 200 with 3 and a half ours to bowl us out.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Swing & a miss from Kallis!

Think you've gotta give Jones bit of credit, he's not giving 'em too much to go after.
It's not the first time in the series he's done this. I remember the 2nd innings at Cape Town, when the others were trying to contain SA by bowling very high and wide, Jones bowled straight and they couldn't do much against him.

Going back to the batters, I can understand deVilliers slowing down as he approaches his first test 100, but Kallis's approach is very strange. Obviously it suits me nicely, but I wonder what our resident Saffies make of it all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think AD & Sir Bob in the commentary have it spot on, SA have a set number of overs they want to bowl at us rather than a particular score in mind. Judgding by the pace I'm guessing 40 overs or less.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I think AD & Sir Bob in the commentary have it spot on, SA have a set number of overs they want to bowl at us rather than a particular score in mind. Judgding by the pace I'm guessing 40 overs or less.
.... which is still very strange. Wouldn't they want 50 overs rather than 40, which would have been quite possible if they'd got on with it.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Fair play to A de V, got his ton & didn't die wondering.

Maybe Jacques's fretting about his precious average!?!
No, the more hair falls out the harder it is for him to be dismissed. It's almost a scientific theory now.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Casson said:
No, the more hair falls out the harder it is for him to be dismissed. It's almost a scientific theory now.
Haha, didn't realise he was so obsessed like a modern version of boycott.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
That must be it. He's just played out a maiden from Harmison, BTW. There was a comment on the radio about rumours of him being unhappy about how things are being run in the SA setup, hence his approach. Any ideas anyone?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
That must be it. He's just played out a maiden from Harmison, BTW. There was a comment on the radio about rumours of him being unhappy about how things are being run in the SA setup, hence his approach. Any ideas anyone?
Quotas? Being smacked on the head by the coach?! :D

& is Rudolph the man for a run chase? Boucher, Boje or Pollock surely?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Can someone do me a favour? Can someone go back a whole lot of pages to just after the first test when Pratyush dismissed England's win and said that they COULD NOT POSSIBLY WIN THE SERIES blah blah bleh...

Because I think that would be funny.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair Pratyush did accept he was wrong etc. in a post yesterday. I wonder if Kallis has had a bet on a draw and Smith had a bet on a result... Harmison in his 8th over in this spell.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Quotas? Being smacked on the head by the coach?! :D

& is Rudolph the man for a run chase? Boucher, Boje or Pollock surely?
It's bizarre, isn't it, especially when you remember that Hall was sent in at 3 presumably to have a swing. Yet today, with the situation crying out for some long handle, they're in no hurry.

Going back to Kallis, the wording I read was that his umbrage is specifically to do with this test, so who knows?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
To be fair Pratyush did accept he was wrong etc. in a post yesterday. I wonder if Kallis has had a bet on a draw and Smith had a bet on a result... Harmison in his 8th over in this spell.
Gower implied in the lunch break there was a difference of opinion between the management & Harmy himself over how injured he is exactly.

Harmy never was a great tourist was he?