• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Scallywag

Banned
Mr Casson said:
When Clarke was on 85 the other day, Shoaib Malik took what appeared to be a straightforward catch, but then told the umpires he wasn't sure. Obviously unaware that the umpires can not refer a catch to the third umpire unless his vision is obscured, he had given them just enough doubt to have to rule not out.

Different rules for tests and ODIs? Or did Bucknor stuff up again?
Malik cought the ball but it touched the grass whilst in his hands and his body language showed that. Good to see an honest player. The only one fooled was Tony Greig who embarassed himself by calling it a mistake by the umpire to cover his poor commentary.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
I didn't see that, and quite frankly I don't believe you.
You didn't see them discussing it on TV for a couple of minutes? You are watching this on Foxtel, yes?

They showed Bucknor watching the ball off the edge, then because it went quite a long way off the bat and Trescothick was standing out of his crease, he was directly between Bucknor and the ball. Bucknor took a couple of steps to the right and leaned over, then turned to the square leg umpire who obviously said he didn't see it properly either, so they referred it.

Seems like a fairly prudent decision to me, although Strauss seemed happy enough to walk without it.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
. The only one fooled was Tony Greig who embarassed himself by calling it a mistake by the umpire to cover his poor commentary.
No change there then!! Poor old tony...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Have england shut up shop already?
Playing the new ball on its merits, I would think. If anything loose is offered, they'll take it, but if not then they should be concentrating on keeping it out.

I don't think we'll see any fireworks until the last 10 to 15 overs, and then if there's plenty of wickets in hand.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fat Bob certainly never quite convinces, does he? Plumb as you like playing across the line.

Hopefully Bell will put his hand up in the ODIs & get a go against Bangladesh.

Otherwise it'll be back to Butch, I suspect...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Fat Bob certainly never quite convinces, does he? Plumb as you like playing across the line.

Hopefully Bell will put his hand up in the ODIs & get a go against Bangladesh.

Otherwise it'll be back to Butch, I suspect...
Fat Bob, as nice a bloke as he is, is certainly under threat. I want Bell in ASAP - not for any real rational reason other than it's one of our options and I've always been a fan of his.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to see England have Tresco, Strauss and Vaughan as the top 3, I think they'd be fairly solid then Bell at 4. Always feel like when England lose their first wicket it's gonna be followed by another one shortly after with Butcher or Key there at 3 regardless of their form.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
I'd like to see England have Tresco, Strauss and Vaughan as the top 3, I think they'd be fairly solid then Bell at 4. Always feel like when England lose their first wicket it's gonna be followed by another one shortly after with Butcher or Key there.
Sounds right. The higher up for Vaughan the better.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
England just doesnt seem to realise the importance of the number three position. After Thorpe in his earlier "avatar' , they have never put their best batsman at number three and this is a suicidal poicy. They will always struggle except against very modest bowling attacks. They must send
Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Thorpe as the first four in that order.

I still feel the day they find a good opener, they should move Strauss to three and move everyone one rung lower.

Only Strauss and Vaughan can fill this slot from the current side.

The next option would have been Thorpe but only in an emergency.

Sending the Keys or the Bells is just a case of the senior player's (in this case the skipper) shirking their responsibility.