• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
185 off 42 overs, very gettable - if they keep wickets in tact.
I'd chase it... I really would. The pitch just isn't that bad for them to be worried about shutting up and batting out the rest of the overs with such little time remaining anyway.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
I'd chase it... I really would. The pitch just isn't that bad for them to be worried about shutting up and batting out the rest of the overs with such little time remaining anyway.
Yea that's why they need the wickets intact, they should have no bother batting out but obviously if they lose a couple early they might go into a Kallis-like block mode. From SA's point of view I don't really see the point in the declaration, they can only lose whereas if they'd had 185 off 50 overs like they should have there was a very slight chance of winning.

Loony BoB

International Captain
And it all comes down to an ODI innings - 184 runs off 44 overs, although they can pick and choose bowlers all the way and there are no fielding restrictions. Should be a bit of fun! Tell them to bring out the red ball and put on the colours. :p

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Loony BoB said:
And it all comes down to an ODI innings - 184 runs off 44 overs, although they can pick and choose bowlers all the way and there are no fielding restrictions. Should be a bit of fun! Tell them to bring out the red ball and put on the colours. :p
Fair dos, it's not as weighted to the batsman in these 44 overs, but on a batting strip like that England have a real chance to take it out.

Loony BoB

International Captain
RRR: 4.18 - assuming 44 overs are bowled. But I don't see Smithy slowing down the over rate given that he's declared. I really do admire his "never say die" attitude, even if it doesn't always work out for him.

Scaly piscine

If I were SA I'd bowl the overs as fast as possible til victory looked impossible then just slow back down to 12 overs an hour or something.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Loony BoB said:
RRR: 4.18 - assuming 44 overs are bowled. But I don't see Smithy slowing down the over rate given that he's declared. I really do admire his "never say die" attitude, even if it doesn't always work out for him.
When there are 5 overs left and 30 runs to get with 7 wickets in hand, there's plenty of reasons to slow the over rate down.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
Catch shouldn't have been referred to the 3rd umpire anyway.
When Clarke was on 85 the other day, Shoaib Malik took what appeared to be a straightforward catch, but then told the umpires he wasn't sure. Obviously unaware that the umpires can not refer a catch to the third umpire unless his vision is obscured, he had given them just enough doubt to have to rule not out.

Different rules for tests and ODIs? Or did Bucknor stuff up again?

Scaly piscine

Mr Casson said:
When Clarke was on 85 the other day, Shoaib Malik took what appeared to be a straightforward catch, but then told the umpires he wasn't sure. Obviously unaware that the umpires can not refer a catch to the third umpire unless his vision is obscured, he had given them just enough doubt to have to rule not out.

No and yes

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
Eh? Bucknor's vision was obscured (by Marcus Trescothick walking out of his crease), so he referred it to the third umpire. Where's the problem here?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Eh? Bucknor's vision was obscured (by Marcus Trescothick walking out of his crease), so he referred it to the third umpire. Where's the problem here?
I didn't see that, and quite frankly I don't believe you.