• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just because England's middle order didn't succeed doesn't mean South Africa's didn't fail. (Don't complain about the English!).

Dippenaar got dropped, that's clearly an indication of failure (and Andy Hall was preferred to Rudolph for this Test, that's never a good thing) - it's also interesting that you criticise de Villiers, who aged 20 has been shoved around the team to try to protect Smith's average amongst other things and impressed plenty of neutral observers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
Just because England's middle order didn't succeed doesn't mean South Africa's didn't fail. (Don't complain about the English!).

Dippenaar got dropped, that's clearly an indication of failure (and Andy Hall was preferred to Rudolph for this Test, that's never a good thing) - it's also interesting that you criticise de Villiers, who aged 20 has been shoved around the team to try to protect Smith's average amongst other things and impressed plenty of neutral observers.
I am not criticising Devilliers. Just pointing out players who failed in the middle order. His is not totally to blame or it as you correctly point out.

What was the crucial difference between the two sides if analysed? The bowling or the middle order? Both teams had one exceptional player in performing. Soth African middle order wasnt successful. But 3 players averaging in the 30s isnt a total failure. I would imagine Rudolph's dropping was also due to the want of team balance.

South Africa has felt the lack of the bowler more than any thing. Including Hall they get the bowling and batting depth.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Pratyush said:
For all the Poms who thought they will win the series, remember you WONT win this match or series for that matter. I said that before the series started and will maintain that.
Hmm.. interesting

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
You've probably seen a lot more of his bowling than me, but I reckon it has potential.
Needs a lot of work - it really does show up the standard of County Cricket that he averaged what he did last year!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
twctopcat said:
Trescothick
Strauss
Bell
Vaughan
Flintoff
Collingwood
Pietersen
Jones
+3 bowlers.

2 points - Pietersen at 7 is mad.
With Giles at 9 (as he should be in the side) - Read replaces Jones!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
South Africa has felt the lack of the bowler more than any thing. Including Hall they get the bowling and batting depth.
So much so that they lost the 1st game he played and are on the back foot in the 2nd game.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Pollock will be disappointed with his batting. He averages well over 30 in test cricket but only managed 17.14 this series.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SpaceMonkey said:
Pollock will be disappointed with his batting. He averages well over 30 in test cricket but only managed 17.14 this series.
Fred's sorted him out with his short stuff! Johnny Foreigner doesn't like it up him!! :D

tooextracool

International Coach
superkingdave said:
Strauss has been at least as reliable as Collingwood IMO
in his last 3 series which includes a total of 11 games, hes had averages of 22,34 and 26 while collingwood has had averages of 83, 70 and 4.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Lead overall...
but it was under no pressure, it simply took england from a safe position to a good position. the problem with g.jones throughout this series is that hes been playing shots too early in his innings, did either of his 2 good performances do anything different?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
So much so that they lost the 1st game he played and are on the back foot in the 2nd game.
The idea of including Hall over him was his all round ability. It didnt work out is another matter.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kallis apart, there is nobody in that middle order that scares you.

Almost every other side has 2 or 3 batsmen that you would be worried about, but with SA if you get Kallis then the job is half done!

twctopcat

International Regular
marc71178 said:
2 points - Pietersen at 7 is mad.
With Giles at 9 (as he should be in the side) - Read replaces Jones!
Yeah that is why i thought when i made that team but i think Pietersen will be such a good ODI player you have to put him in there. Fair point on Read coming back for Jones too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile, AB & Kallis are scoring increasingly freely. Possible declaration half an hour after lunch, unless they go completely mad in the next hour. Should make for an entertaining last couple of sessions one way or another.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Jones is an average keeper at best, but he's been batting pretty well hasn't he?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
twctopcat said:
Don't like the look of this.
Why not? South Africa have nothing left to lose now.. At some point they'll bite the bullet and declare. It might even give England a chance to win. The faster South Africa score, the longer England have to take it down. After all, South Africa want a decent amount of time to try and bowl England out.