• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Like when you said twenty20 game was equal for both bowlers and batsmen and I showed it wrong by a poll
What I actually said was that good bowling gets rewarded in Twenty20 - far from what you claim I've said.

Pratyush said:
or when you said Watson couldnt make the Aussie one day team as an all rounder. (He is a batsman who can bowl sufficiently well and its even proved to you I hope)? :D
How exactly?

He is in the side as a bowler predominantly (since he's being sent in at number 8)

If he were in as an all-rounder he would be batting a bit above 8.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
What I actually said was that good bowling gets rewarded in Twenty20 - far from what you claim I've said.
Then I dont know why you conjectured me on that thread. It is obvious good bowling does get rewarded. But bowlers dont stand much of a chance do they if they have just 4 overs and batsmen are smacking them for 9 runs an over!

How exactly?

He is in the side as a bowler predominantly (since he's being sent in at number 8)

If he were in as an all-rounder he would be batting a bit above 8.
Watson is more of a batsman and an efficient bowler as well. If Gilchrist can play at 7 as an all rounder in tests, why cant an all rounder play at 8?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush replying to marc said:
I wont talk about the prediction before the series ends. You under estimated South Africa. I will only say this which I believe you know as well.
I don't think anyone has particularly underestimated SA, I certainly overestimated England - I didn't expect them to be so ill-prepared and so reckless at times. If England had performed as well as they should the series would have been a one-sided whitewash.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
To go on to say I am having thoughts of an English collapse already on one of the greeniest wickets ever seen isnt what I call pitch discussion!
I said i had 'visions of England getting all out for 50' not that i was having thoughts. If you're gonna quote do it properly not cherry pick the bits you like :) It was a light hearted joke due to the discussion at the time. Not a serious comment that i thought England would collapse.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Of course not.

I mean from 100odd- for 1 at lunch and about 180-3 or so that's a great progression! 8-)
Its not great progression but at the end of the day, its not a hopeless score.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
The 9 wickets do show it is more likely not to be a feather bed, not disregarding the effort of the English bowlers. Which is one aspect of relief.
Except how many of those players got themselves out?

de Villiers
Rudolph
Smith
Pollock
Boje
Ntini

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Then I dont know why you conjectured me on that thread. It is obvious good bowling does get rewarded. But bowlers dont stand much of a chance do they if they have just 4 overs and batsmen are smacking them for 9 runs an over!
Contradicting yourself here.

Pratyush said:
Watson is more of a batsman and an efficient bowler as well. If Gilchrist can play at 7 as an all rounder in tests, why cant an all rounder play at 8?
He's a batsman that bowls, so why is he at 8?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
I have not moaned about umpiring decisions because I have accepted they wouldnt have an impact on results. I just felt they were not out and it was not for any other contrived reason.
You haven't moaned about umpiring decisions?!

I guess that 2 or 3 page debate is all my imagination then?

Pratyush said:
English didnt on that instance too appreciate the bowling as much from South Africa. The batsmen did bat pathetically the instance they collapsed and there was no way some thing else could be brought into the main realm of possibility.
No, because like today, more batsmen got themselves out then were got out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
More often than not this is the case. But if an umpire is totally NOT giving a player out for a certain spinner, ends are changed. This is not rubbish!
So once in a blue moon then.

A bit different from your earlier claims.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Marc said:
Can't find any, but I'm not surprised about that
Scaly piscine said:
Yea I saw the picture of it on cricinfo, greenest wicket I've ever seen.
SpaceMonkey said:
Normally yes :) but ive had these visions where England lose the toss and get bowled out for 50 on the greenist wicket ever produced! :blink:
Not surprised you couldnt find them!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Its not great progression but at the end of the day, its not a hopeless score.
With the state of the wicket and the time left it's hardly a winning first innings effort.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
I wont talk about the prediction before the series ends. You under estimated South Africa. I will only say this which I believe you know as well.
Actually I didn't, because all along I predicted a close series before it started.

The way it's panning out, I think it might be said that I overestimated SA.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Contradicting yourself here.
No I am not. It is totally hopeless for the bowlers as a whole but good bowling does have a chance to get rewarded.

He's a batsman that bowls, so why is he at 8?
Team composition for the strongest team may want such a situation.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpaceMonkey said:
Gibbs' shot was a bit loose as well if you wanted to be hyper critical.
I guess Boje was out-thought, but the rest were poor batting.

Only Kallis was truly beaten.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
So 2 quotes, one of which was made 100% jokingly no corresponds to being a lot of discussion does it?
You couldnt find them could you? Its enough of a speculation for me to warrant a speculation on the English fan's reaction had the English collapsed for 100 odd on the first day which I did.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
No I am not. It is totally hopeless for the bowlers as a whole but good bowling does have a chance to get rewarded.
Erm, did I not say that and get shouted down by you (who has hardly even watched the game) ?

Pratyush said:
Team composition for the strongest team may want such a situation.
Meaning he's playing as a bowler primarily.