• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might be a blessing in disguise I suppose, 10th wicket partnership comes out tomorrow (30 minutes earlier each morning with the 1st day wiped out) and bats when there's possibly a little bit of moisture there.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Plus a good fistful of overs lost so less chance of defeat, plus we don't have to bat in the dodgy evening light.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea with the shocking over rate of just over 12 England have taken 10 more overs out of the game than you'd expect, around 15 more in total if you expect teams to bowl the 'minimum' 15 overs per hour.

twctopcat

International Regular
marc71178 said:
Whatever happens, he has to play against Bangladesh to hopefully get some confidence going - he's very much a confidence bowler, and it appears that it's noticeable that his head dropped and his bowling fell apart when Trescothick dropped that catch.
The only reason Harmison should rest is if the calf injury is serious.Other than that he needs to bowl to try and remember how he used to do it i.e fuller and straighter. The rest will take care of itself.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
well considering that england would quite likely have won had it not been for bad light in durban, i dont see how that really matters anymore.
I believe Ntini would have smashed all the English bowlers to bits, and taken South Africa home with an over to spare. :happy:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
twctopcat said:
All england fans can thank me. Wrote this kiss of death post on purpose. Worked like a dream. :D
I'm beginning to worry about you. You may actually be gifted (or cursed, depending on the situation).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hoggy31 said:
Hah! wicket of a no-ball and now there going off for bad light 9 down.
It made me laugh that Bannister (worst commentator ever) was moaning about how England's no balls had been terrible and betrayed a lack of discipline.

He then went onto say if it weren't for Flintoff we'd be in trouble.

That'd be the Flintoff who bowled about half the no balls.

twctopcat

International Regular
Jono said:
I'm beginning to worry about you. You may actually be gifted (or cursed, depending on the situation).
The mind is a powerful tool, and i am proof to that. Do not be worried (unless you support someone other than England, in which case you are screwed).

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Harmy looked back to himself today - not quite there, line still a tad off, but he pitched it up much more and was unlucky.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Yes it has been a very good cricket wicket with some thing for both the bowlers and the batsmen.

But would the English say the same had they batted first and collapsed? I have my apprehensions.
Why? When we collapsed 1st innings at Durban, most of the comments I read were about poor English batting rather than the pitch.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
The speculation about him coming in at 5 is because he wanted to get away from Hoggard and the new ball.

Clearly he has no flaws and is the best since Bradman...
Doubtless Smith will say he was shoring up the middle-order, but I put it down to funk.

I really think young Gray is a bit of a stroker...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No secret that Smith is concerned about his batting. He knows he's struggling against the swinging ball, so he's moved down the order to where I believe he should be. That said, I also think Gibbs should be down the order to maximize his ability.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
wpdavid said:
Why? When we collapsed 1st innings at Durban, most of the comments I read were about poor English batting rather than the pitch.
Because some people were apprehensive about an English collapse because of the pitch even before the match started.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
As shown by Hoggard today.

After the 7fer on Monday (gained mainly at Dar's end) he bowled from Bucknor's end.

Bowlers choose the end that suits their bowling.
The most important aspect is the pitch obviously but bowlers do tend to bowl from the end where the umpire is more likely to give out for a certain bowler too on ocassions. I am surprised you dont know that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
[Pratyush mode] I can't see how that was given as it is clear the bail hasn't been removed - poor umpiring again. [/Pratyush mode]
Pathetic as your attempts at mocking me usually are.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
And he was definite, and he was right.

I wonder if your moaning is more because you're about 4 days from having a lot of your earlier posts brought up to make you look wrong.
I wonder if you can actually bring some insight in posts rather than wondering about reasons behind my posts.

I put my point be known. And because you things its totally wrong, does not mean so. I respect the opinion of others as they do seem to have a point when they contradict. With its well.. no comments.