• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TT Boy said:
You got to question Tres commitment IMO, just look at situations where England are staring down the barrel, last years ODI series against SA perfect example. England already beaten and Tres can't wait to get out. His shot in the last One Day I think was taking the Mick, if it was anyone else you would think he was on the phone to an Indian bookmaker. Sure he played well in Multan but there was no pressure. He just seems like one of these characters that if things are going bad for the team, we not ride it out or hold any form of resistance, unlike say Bell, who bless him gets 75% of his run from outset edges has got some heart and likes the battle, Tres to me doesn’t like getting his hands dirty.

Also Strauss should stay at home if his wife is expecting again, talk about minds elsewhere, you don't see professional footballers miss games because of the wife.
Is this the same Tres who's hit half his ODI centuries in defeats, and averages 52 in successful ODI chases?

What about that fantastic, blitzkrieg 180 at Joburg that set the platform for Hoggy to win us the Test and the Series? Or the 219 at the Oval to square the 2003 series against South Africa?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
ok you want to narrow it down to a more recent outing, last year vs WI he had very helpul pitches & produced his best ever series performance, so their you have it again when he has assistance Gilo is effective & hopefully he will be able to make it to India to silence his critics AGAIN....
Come on West Indians, firstly there were a complete shower of **** and secondly there have always looked cack against spin. Abdul Qadir bit a great spinner caused all kinds of problems against the great West Indian team of the 80s. Shaun Udal could get some of the West Indian players out that's how good they are.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Also Strauss should stay at home if his wife is expecting again, talk about minds elsewhere, you don't see professional footballers miss games because of the wife.
No, footballers just miss games because they've shouted at refs one too many times, or punched an opposition player, or gone down like a sack of potatoes to try and con the officials, or because they've disagreed with the manager once too often.

Samuel_Vimes said:
Trescothick averages 59 when England chases more than 240 in one-day matches. Just some food for thought...
Best stat I've heard in ages. Says a lot about how unsung he is.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Come on West Indians, firstly there were a complete shower of **** and secondly there have always looked cack against spin. Abdul Qadir bit a great spinner caused all kinds of problems against the great West Indian team of the 80s. Shaun Udal could get some of the West Indian players out that's how good they are.
regardless of how good or how bad players of spin the WI are, if Giles is as poor as some are making out to be he wouldn't have even been able to take wickets on those helpful tracks againts WI

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Is this the same Tres who's hit half his ODI centuries in defeats, and averages 52 in successful ODI chases?

What about that fantastic, blitzkrieg 180 at Joburg that set the platform for Hoggy to win us the Test and the Series? Or the 219 at the Oval to square the 2003 series against South Africa?
Huge scores on batting paradises. I am just speaking from my personal experience on buying or selling runs when Tres is batting and when the going gets tough, I’ve always found that it’s better to oppose. Though those statistics do suprise me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:

nah he must have missed all of those games..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Huge scores on batting paradises. I am just speaking from my personal experience on buying or selling runs when Tres is batting and when the going gets tough, I’ve always found that it’s better to oppose. Though those statistics do suprise me.
Jo'Burg a batting paradise :-O , come on now

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
No, footballers just miss games because they've shouted at refs one too many times, or punched an opposition player, or gone down like a sack of potatoes to try and con the officials, or because they've disagreed with the manager once too often.

Lets not get into an argument regarding the professionalism of footballers because I think you find footballers are for more professional also loving the bland clichés, I take it you don't watch football?.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Jo'Burg a batting paradise :-O , come on now
Lets not get perceived images in are head of Alan Donald taking stumps out of the ground because then we start saying that Lahore and Faisalabad are dust bowls.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Also I don’t think anyone thinks Tres is an unsung hero, his clearly England’s best batsman.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
regardless of how good or how bad players of spin the WI are, if Giles is as poor as some are making out to be he wouldn't have even been able to take wickets on those helpful tracks againts WI
His not bottom of the barrel I give you that but I do think his place should be questioned.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
TT Boy said:
Also I don’t think anyone thinks Tres is an unsung hero, his clearly England’s best batsman.
I would rate Strauss as better than Tres. A lot better footwork and a lot more tougher.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
TT Boy said:
Can u think of better

Barney Rubble

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Lets not get into an argument regarding the professionalism of footballers because I think you find footballers are for more professional also loving the bland clichés, I take it you don't watch football?.
Actually I've grown up with football my first love. I am a passionate Portsmouth fan and have attended four matches this season. I enjoy my football more than most people you'll ever meet, but I'm more than aware of how unprofessional footballers are. Any sport that boasts the likes of Kieron Dyer, Lee Bowyer, Rio Ferdinand, Jonathan Woodgate, Abel Xavier, Adrian Mutu and many, many others cannot lay reasonable claim to being called professional, as a whole. Just because I love football doesn't mean I have to like footballers. I've met enough of them, and enough cricketers, to know who I prefer.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Hodgo7 said:
I would rate Strauss as better than Tres. A lot better footwork and a lot more tougher.
In My Opinion, i cannot split them. different , but completment each other well. Can't say one is better than the other. If i had to, i would say Tres is better, He has improved so much from his prodding days 3 years ago [thanks to a clever drifting staightbat leave/play&miss. Absolutely brilliant, how do Cricinfo measure that In-control factor when he gets a ball just outside off.]

Seriously, I cant split them though, Strauss has been brilliant since he came to the team. Tres is the second most improved player IMO after Flintoff in the last 2 years.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
well my likely sides for the 1st ODI:

ENGLAND:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Collingwood
Freddie
KP
Blackwell
Jones
Plunkett
Harmy
Anderson
Karib Ali - Super sub

PAKISTAN:

Butt
Hameed
Malik
Mohammad Yo
Inzi
Younis
Razzaq
Akmal
Rana
Sami
Shoaib
Kaneria - Super Sub
England team minus Anderson replace him with anyone, have KP at 4, and an allrounder as super sub.

Pakistan open with Akmal, use to be a pinch hitter can open to Afridi comes back. Asif in for Sami, Malick right down the order and agree have Kaneria as super sub. Have Yasir Hameed at 3. Protect Inzi until the Mickey Mouse bowlers come on.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
TT Boy said:
He's criminally under-rated outside England. No-one realises that he's been head and shoulders above most batsmen in world cricket for the last three years. He's no6 or so in the world rankings and yet opposition teams still think he's vulnerable because he doesn't move his feet. It's ridiculous.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Actually I've grown up with football my first love. I am a passionate Portsmouth fan and have attended four matches this season. I enjoy my football more than most people you'll ever meet, but I'm more than aware of how unprofessional footballers are. Any sport that boasts the likes of Kieron Dyer, Lee Bowyer, Rio Ferdinand, Jonathan Woodgate, Abel Xavier, Adrian Mutu and many, many others cannot lay reasonable claim to being called professional, as a whole. Just because I love football doesn't mean I have to like footballers. I've met enough of them, and enough cricketers, to know who I prefer.
One wouldn't get a hit series called Cricketer's wives would they