• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

chris.hinton

International Captain
This is Awful it is a throwback to the dark days of the 90s under Atherton..... We are simply a let down

We do miss Simon Jones and Freddie is Tired but We should have had enought to beat Pakistan IMO, they are usually a mess

Shaun Udal and Ashley Giles are a waste of space it time to end there test careers and bring in Loudon for a try while we get Jones fit

Tresco is tired and Struass need a bit more time away from the England Squad and so does Harmy

MY Squad for the first teat against India

Trescothick
Cook
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
G.Jones
Loudon
S.Jones/Anderson
Hoggard

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
chris.hinton said:
This is Awful it is a throwback to the dark days of the 90s under Atherton..... We are simply a let down

We do miss Simon Jones and Freddie is Tired but We should have had enought to beat Pakistan IMO, they are usually a mess

Shaun Udal and Ashley Giles are a waste of space it time to end there test careers and bring in Loudon for a try while we get Jones fit

Tresco is tired and Struass need a bit more time away from the England Squad and so does Harmy

MY Squad for the first teat against India

Trescothick
Cook
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
G.Jones
Loudon
S.Jones/Anderson
Hoggard
Come on lets not go OTT, I remember the dark old days, Chicken farmer getting a hat trick and all. We lost to a decent side, who had the better players in those conditions.

Also if we played that side we would probably not take one wicket let alone 20 in a game.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
KP or the captain just to kill a few overs, what’s the point of playing Udal or Giles, their not batsman and their not doing their job with the ball, so no need for them. The Indians play Shane Warne with contempt, so it’s scary to think what they would do to those boys.
forget about Udal look a Giles. These pitches here in Pakistan really didn't offer him much assistance at all compared to what happened in 2000. Gilo has done well on previous sub-continent tours where their has been assistance for him i.e PAK 2000, SRI 2001 & 2003, IND 2001. Most likely in India he will have surfaces that will assit him & all you people will see a different Gilo...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sqwerty said:
yeah but so was Clarke
That Mumbai surface was a disaster & that just one match Giles has done well on tracks that have assisted him in more than one series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chris.hinton said:

1. I fail to see the logic playing loudon ahead of Giles in India.

2. Why use tiredness as an excuse for tres he looks fine to me & why does Strauss & Harmy need time away from the side?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
forget about Udal look a Giles. These pitches here in Pakistan really didn't offer him much assistance at all compared to what happened in 2000. Gilo has done well on previous sub-continent tours where their has been assistance for him i.e PAK 2000, SRI 2001 & 2003, IND 2001. Most likely in India he will have surfaces that will assit him & all you people will see a different Gilo...
Decent performances 5 years ago mean nothing, your only as good as your last outing, sure he was carrying a knock in the second but he looked clueless in the first. Also people talk about Kaneria not having decent figures from the series but at least he did a job, he was economical, and caused problems and if Hair did not destroy his confidence in the second I think he would have had more joy.

Just going back to Giles from what I’ve read and heard it doesn't look like Giles we be around come India.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Yep just got the Pakistan line up.

Inzamam-ul-Haq (capt), Salman Butt, Shoaib Malik, Yasir Hameed, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan, Abdul Razzaq, Kamran Akmal (wk), Yasir Arafat, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Sami, Danish Kaneria, Mohammad Asif.
well my likely sides for the 1st ODI:

ENGLAND:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Collingwood
Freddie
KP
Blackwell
Jones
Plunkett
Harmy
Anderson
Karib Ali - Super sub

PAKISTAN:

Butt
Hameed
Malik
Mohammad Yo
Inzi
Younis
Razzaq
Akmal
Rana
Sami
Shoaib
Kaneria - Super Sub

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Decent performances 5 years ago mean nothing, your only as good as your last outing, sure he was carrying a knock in the second but he looked clueless in the first. Also people talk about Kaneria not having decent figures from the series but at least he did a job, he was economical, and caused problems and if Hair did not destroy his confidence in the second I think he would have had more joy.

Just going back to Giles from what I’ve read and heard it doesn't look like Giles we be around come India.
ok you want to narrow it down to a more recent outing, last year vs WI he had very helpul pitches & produced his best ever series performance, so their you have it again when he has assistance Gilo is effective & hopefully he will be able to make it to India to silence his critics AGAIN....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
*England going from 120/3 to 138/6 in one over flashes before eyes*
OR *England going from 200/3 in 40 overs to 350/3 in 50 overs in the blink of an eye* :p

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
1. I fail to see the logic playing loudon ahead of Giles in India.

2. Why use tiredness as an excuse for tres he looks fine to me & why does Strauss & Harmy need time away from the side?
You got to question Tres commitment IMO, just look at situations where England are staring down the barrel, last years ODI series against SA perfect example. England already beaten and Tres can't wait to get out. His shot in the last One Day I think was taking the Mick, if it was anyone else you would think he was on the phone to an Indian bookmaker. Sure he played well in Multan but there was no pressure. He just seems like one of these characters that if things are going bad for the team, we not ride it out or hold any form of resistance, unlike say Bell, who bless him gets 75% of his run from outset edges has got some heart and likes the battle, Tres to me doesn’t like getting his hands dirty.

Also Strauss should stay at home if his wife is expecting again, talk about minds elsewhere, you don't see professional footballers miss games because of the wife.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
TT Boy said:
You got to question Tres commitment IMO, just look at situations where England are staring down the barrel, last years ODI series against SA perfect example. England already beaten and Tres can't wait to get out. His shot in the last One Day I think was taking the Mick, if it was anyone else you would think he was on the phone to an Indian bookmaker. Sure he played well in Multan but there was no pressure. He just seems like one of these characters that if things are going bad for the team, we not ride it out or hold any form of resistance, unlike say Bell, who bless him gets 75% of his run from outset edges has got some heart and likes the battle, Tres to me doesn’t like getting his hands dirty.
Trescothick averages 59 when England chases more than 240 in one-day matches. Just some food for thought... :p

TT Boy said:
Also Strauss should stay at home if his wife is expecting again, talk about minds elsewhere, you don't see professional footballers miss games because of the wife.
Actually, you do - here in Norway at least. (but then, we're a commie welfare state...)