• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't mind a flat pitch or a spinning pitch as a fan, and it's such a fallacy in cricket commentary in general that there's an 'ideal' pitch. I think test cricket loses a little of its much needed variety if we cut out any sort of pitch, short of it being actively dangerous.

The only thing that gives me pause with the idea of continuing to play on a pitch until it falls apart is that it might give the toss too much power. But that's a fear that usually doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
in 2021 agree we prepared truners
Not at all... red soil wickets naturally turn at good pace and offer good bounce.

The worst wicket of that series was the first test in Chennai. Rest is just sour grapes as usual. The D/N test and pink ball definitely was a poor pitch, but it was at least equally poor for both sides. And I think the behaviour of the pink ball on that track caught many unawares. If it was a regular red ball game, the pitch would have been normal turner which is pretty common that time of the year in India anyways, esp. in Ahmedabad.

It's a big test for Bashir if he fails in Multan probably loses his place to Leach in SENA conditions
Not sure about that, it’s become a meme at this stage, but Bashir was picked because of his release point and potential, especially to get bounce, whatever the pitch does in this Test, I don’t think it’ll provide much bounce (consistently anyway)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Should’ve added that I’ve no issue with it. Wish England did more of that to visiting teams.

I was thinking of that pink ball fiasco. I think that might be an example of a pitch that wasn’t great for Test Cricket.
It was not great but I dont think it was just the pitch. I think it was the first ever pink ball game on a turner and like some of the earlier seaming ones, it did too much under lights and was also harder to pick up for the batsmen. With more research hopefully they get the balance better. I, for one, hope we move to all test matches being played with pink balls which means you can always make up lost time with the floodlights.

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
Should’ve added that I’ve no issue with it. Wish England did more of that to visiting teams.

I was thinking of that pink ball fiasco. I think that might be an example of a pitch that wasn’t great for Test Cricket.
Pink ball pitch was crap agreed that pitches in 2021 were terrible but 2024 were flat and decent. it was eng who couldn't capitalise on them esp root playing reverse scoop to bumarh on flat rajkot wicket

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do Pakistan choose their players by raffle? Even if you are going to pick three spinners, recalling Sajid after he was outbowled in what should have been his last test by Salman is... eugh. Surely there's someone else who turns the ball from left to right in the QeA trophy.

I actually think there's logic in Pakistan making it a bit of a lottery. No kind of conventional conditions preparation give them a distinct advantage.
They’ve been getting all kinds of stick for their tactics, and I suppose their thinking seems all a bit last ditch to say the least, but apart from excluding Naseem, is their planning for the second Test all that wrong? On paper, England are much the better side, especially in Pakistani conditions, spinning decks are probably their best bet

sithb

Cricket Spectator
It's a combination of pitches and continuing to use the kookaburra ball.

Most Pakistan pitches are black soil pitches. That and the fact that the kookaburra loses its seam very quickly doesn't help. Why doesn't Pakistan use the SG or the Dukes ?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
With more research hopefully they get the balance better. I, for one, hope we move to all test matches being played with pink balls which means you can always make up lost time with the floodlights.
Pink ball has much more lacquer so it doesn't lose its shine easily. It is probably the most durable ball too and would be an ideal replacement for Dukes ball, which is currently having to be changed every 20 or so overs.

Moreover why are we still using 2 white balls in ODI cricket, when we can use a single pink ball for a D/N ODI match? So I'd like the Pink ball to be the only ball used in all forms of cricket, as it not only provides balance between bat & ball but can be used in almost any situation.

Starfighter

I actually think there's logic in Pakistan making it a bit of a lottery. No kind of conventional conditions preparation give them a distinct advantage.

No I was talking about their bowling selections, not their pitch preparation etc. It's like they have a pool of players they pick out of a hat, regardless of past performance. You'd think Sajid's effort at Sydney would have been enough to mark his cards, while Zahid has never done anything at any level to show he's up to it. Conversely, yes Abrar did badly last test, but now they've dropped him when he might do better on the turning pitch they're signalling.

One thing I just realised is how much the current England test strategy resembles their ODI one in the 16-19 cycle. Batting that can hammer the opposition with unprecedentedly fast scoring and that has the confidence they can get any total. None of the bowlers are brilliant individually (as was the case in ODIs until Archer was picked), they're good enough as unit to do the job most of the time. They have a strategy they believe in and execute it well. Pakistan are the opposite and will fold under the slightest pressure.

Starfighter

Pink ball has much more lacquer so it doesn't lose its shine easily. It is probably the most durable ball too and would be an ideal replacement for Dukes ball, which is currently having to be changed every 20 or so overs.

Moreover why are we still using 2 white balls in ODI cricket, when we can use a single pink ball for a D/N ODI match? So I'd like the Pink ball to be the only ball used in all forms of cricket, as it not only provides balance between bat & ball but can be used in almost any situation.
The pink ball is awful when it's old. Goes soft if the pitch isn't grassy and doesn't reverse swing.

It shares the unsolved problem of the white ball in that the leather doesn't dye a strong colour, so it effectively has to be painted.

sithb

Cricket Spectator
I don't think the pink ball suits all conditions. I like the concept of the D/N tests but there needs to be some balance too. The playing conditions under lights are vastly different than the conditions in the afternoon. With dew becoming a factor in subcontinent, I'm not certain that it is viable for all countries. In places like Australia and England, sure.